Is being able to watch original DBZ in a non-cropped format for a reasonable price too much to ask?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Is being able to watch original DBZ in a non-cropped format for a reasonable price too much to ask?

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Really? Is there literally no other way to watch it other than to spend $900 on dragon boxes? From what I've heard and seen everywhere the orange bricks are dog shit and the blu rays aren't much better. Why is this shitty quality only a problem with DBZ the most popular anime of all time, does the casual audience just not care enough about it for Funi to upload better quality on their streaming service?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Is being able to watch original DBZ in a non-cropped format for a reasonable price too much to ask?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Honestly, the blu rays are serviceable. Their nothing great, but there's nothing terrible about them. Orange bricks are really as bad as they say. The colors are hot gabarge.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is being able to watch original DBZ in a non-cropped format for a reasonable price too much to ask?

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:46 pm

you can buy the 3 episodes volumes for cheap price
My English is poor .

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:you can buy the 3 episodes volumes for cheap price
Where?

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Where?
scroll down :

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +Majin+Buu

though most of them are used
My English is poor .

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Where?
scroll down :

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +Majin+Buu

though most of them are used
But then comes the problem of not being able to find all the singles and the disc quality could be crap if their used. :cry:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 pm

To make matters worse, ignorant companies like MangaUK and Madman have doomed other countries to the same fate by importing the orange bricks to their countries. Funi's garbage spread like a virus and the market is probably too saturated at this point for Dragon Boxes to be a viable release anywhere other than America or Japan.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 pm

NitroEX wrote:To make matters worse, ignorant companies like MangaUK and Madman have doomed other countries to the same fate by importing the orange bricks to their countries. Funi's garbage spread like a virus and the market is probably too saturated at this point for Dragon Boxes to be a viable release anywhere other than America or Japan.
The struggle is real brother. :cry:

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 am

Even if you were to get all the volumes, there'd still be a gap. Episode 35-67 are only available uncropped in uncut form via the Dragon Boxes (and the only other way to get episodes 28-34 uncropped in uncut form is via the second Level set).
I also go by "veemonjosh".

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:56 am

Yeah, it's a pretty bad situation if you don't have the Dragon Boxes. The single DVDs are not a bad choice, but you run into the whole problem of half of the first and the entirety of the second arc not being released in single format. It is very agitating, I agree. I suspect that one day, they'll re-release the series in 4:3 on Blu-ray just because I'm almost positive that they know exactly what the fans think about the subject. I suspect that it'll be a hot-seller on top of that.

I get that the Level sets cost too much to produce to justify the profits, but why couldn't they use their second Blu-ray remastering process on 4:3 footage? I think that's going to be their next great big Z release. "For the first time ever, own the entire series the way it was meant to be seen on Blu-ray!" Just you watch. Might take a long time, though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 am

Honestly, this situation makes me so mad, I'd go as far as to say you'd be completely justified to pirate the show in full-frame instead of buying it cropped.
And until there's a mainstream 4:3 release, this will remain the case for Z and Boo Kai.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 am

If you speak either Spanish or French, you can import 4:3 sets with subtitles in those languages for sane prices from Europe. But if you only speak English, yeah, you're pretty much screwed.

By the way, the last two "seasons" of DBZ are in 4:3 on FUNimation's streaming service if you watch them in Japanese. But in 16:9 if you watch them dubbed.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Wait, what?

...what's the video source?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Honestly, the blu rays are serviceable. Their nothing great, but there's nothing terrible about them. Orange bricks are really as bad as they say. The colors are hot gabarge.
The Blu-rays colors are just as bad, and sometimes worse, and the extra alterations like panning and some strange apparent dub score alterations they further made make it even more of a tampered mess.

The only real benefit is that the lines don't disappear early on, but it has other things that kind of negate that benefit. The Orange Bricks also have the Japanese title cards, which the Blu-rays lack.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 am

Danfun64 wrote:Wait, what?

...what's the video source?
Dragon Boxes.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:...some strange apparent dub score alterations they further made make it even more of a tampered mess.
What dub alterations do you mean exactly, and do they carry over from the Level sets?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:...some strange apparent dub score alterations they further made make it even more of a tampered mess.
What dub alterations do you mean exactly, and do they carry over from the Level sets?
Apparently they changed the recap theme from the Ultimate Uncut dub episodes for no reason.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Compared to even the Orange Bricks?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 am

It should be noted that most of the Namek stuff up to the Ginyu battle was never released uncut in 4:3 outside of the Dragonbox in the US. Meaning that if you want those episodes uncut in 4:3 your choices are getting your hands on a copy of Dragonbox 2, or somehow hunting down bootleg recordings of the TV airings for the 2005 redub.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 am

ringworm128 wrote:
It should be noted that most of the Namek stuff up to the Ginyu battle was never released uncut in 4:3 outside of the Dragonbox in the US. Meaning that if you want those episodes uncut in 4:3 your choices are getting your hands on a copy of Dragonbox 2, or somehow hunting down bootleg recordings of the TV airings for the 2005 redub.
Also, some of the singles have increased greatly in price as supply has dwindled. It's not really a viable option anymore. Plus, it's just so inconvenient changing discs every 3 episodes.
Danfun64 wrote:Compared to even the Orange Bricks?
Yes. The bricks have the proper Ultimate Uncut recap theme. I remember someone here posted that on the "broadcast" audio track on the new Blu-rays that the recap theme on the first set was replaced with some mysterious new piece of music.

It's so bizarre, because that is a change for the sake of change.