WOW! Toriyama hated the fight filler even back then!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: WOW! Toriyama hated the fight filler even back then!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For what it's worth, this doesn't feel like our translation style (super stilted and broken)
Hahaha, I know what you're saying, Mike, but at first glance, it really reads to me like, "This isn't at all like our translation style. You know, our super stilted and broken style that's really barely legible at all! It's one of our proud traditions here at Kanzenshuu!" :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Ummmm... I dont get your post Gaffer Tape...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 pm

He said that at first glance, one could interpret that Mike was saying Kanzenshuu's tranlsation style is stilted and broken, when in fact he was saying the opposite.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

In addition to the note that the translation comes from before the DB anime first aired, I think another important factor is that, when it DID first air, the manga was 65 Chapters in (or about 32 episodes worth) and was in the midst of the Red Ribbon Army arc, so I would imagine extensive amounts of filler were mostly a concern for the future if this Dragon Ball thing were to keep going past that arc. For all anyone at the time knew, Toriyama might decide to end Dragon Ball after Red Ribbon and move on to something else, right?

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

It is very important to place the proper context on interviews, in this case, the interview was before the release of the Dragonball anime and around the Red Ribbon Saga. Toriyama was still 3 years away from starting Dragon ball Z, the part of the story that would truly define the franchise. I'm almost convinced that the series would not have the fanbase it had if it weren't for Z.

The manga might not have been called 'Dragon Ball Z' but official Syndication of the show began just a little over a month later and ran almost concurrently to the manga(probably spanned longer because of the filler) and Z is truly the part of the show that has the fanbase.

Seems to me that when the interview took place, he wasn't too much of a fan of what Toei had shown him in regards to bringing his creation to life.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

No one will argue with you that Z was the height of DB's popularity, but without everything that came before it, it's not DBZ. I don't see what that has to do with this interview, though.

I thought it was smart of Toei to bring Pilaf into the story from the beginning, instead of at the tail end of that first arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 pm

ABED wrote:No one will argue with you that Z was the height of DB's popularity, but without everything that came before it, it's not DBZ. I don't see what that has to do with this interview, though.

I thought it was smart of Toei to bring Pilaf into the story from the beginning, instead of at the tail end of that first arc.

Just applying the context that the series hadn't yet reached what it would become later. Not even close.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
ABED wrote:No one will argue with you that Z was the height of DB's popularity, but without everything that came before it, it's not DBZ. I don't see what that has to do with this interview, though.

Just applying the context that the series hadn't yet reached what it would become later. Not even close.
I still don't get what you are trying to say regarding the topic.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm

ABED wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:

I still don't get what you are trying to say regarding the topic.

To apply context to the fact that the show hadn't yet reached his peak, so that doesn't mean he hated the aspects of filler that we have all generally come to dislike.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm

To apply context to the fact that the show hadn't yet reached his peak, so that doesn't mean he hated the aspects of filler that we have all generally come to dislike.
Call me stupid, but I still don't understand the link. What does the show not reaching its peak have to do with his view regarding filler?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Because more often than not when it comes to filler:

DB>DBZ