The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ajay will this re-watch include the two specials too? Also what about the old Z movies(they may prove to be a welcomed break once in a while)?
Maybe we'll do the movies afterwards, but otherwise, I wasn't planning on it. The specials we'll be doing at the same point they aired in the original run, so... it'll be:

- 61-64 + Bardock Special

- 175 + Trunks Special + 176-178
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

I really like the idea of this rewatch with Ajay at the helm. His Super animation catalogue and all of the discussion in there is so thoughtful and interesting. It had crossed my mind recently if it were possible (lots of time permitting, of course) to apply that to DB/Z, along with weekly episode(s) threads (a la Super)... and here we go! *Z anyhow*

My only complaint is that the community re-watch of Z here isn't following the weekly airings as it had originally been done -- Are you trying to tell me that you don't have the patience for a Goku Vs Freeza episode... once a week? Authentic viewing experience not to be seen here, folks! :p

Anyway, this comment caught my eye:
Ajay wrote:With the high quality broadcast audio recently becoming available, I'm also excited to experience that in full for the first time.
Woah, woah, woah(!) I would also be excited to experience Z in full audio quality for the first time. Just, when did that become available and how do I find my way over to it? I just may have to get on this train too! *having the time to post my thoughts is another story :( *

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Ajay wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ajay will this re-watch include the two specials too? Also what about the old Z movies(they may prove to be a welcomed break once in a while)?
Maybe we'll do the movies afterwards, but otherwise, I wasn't planning on it. The specials we'll be doing at the same point they aired in the original run, so... it'll be:

I would suggest watching them at more appropriate points than when they aired. 61-64 are in the thick of the Ginyu episodes if I recall. Perhaps after those and right before the Freeza fight as a primer? Feel free to not take my suggestion, but I always like doing that so as to not interrupt the flow.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Ajay wrote:

I would suggest watching them at more appropriate points than when they aired. 61-64 are in the thick of the Ginyu episodes if I recall. Perhaps after those and right before the Freeza fight as a primer? Feel free to not take my suggestion, but I always like doing that so as to not interrupt the flow.
I did that too when I first watched the series start to finish. I watched the Bardock special right before the episode where Goku and Freeza first start fighting, and I watched the Trunks special right after 17 and 18 had been revealed.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.