The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Post by TheMikado » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I'm currently in a rewatch of the series right now, at the Androids arrival. I'm watching the dub but I turn on subtitles now and again to see whats different. I watch 2-3 a week. So I'll join once everything catches up aagin.
I’m doing the same thing at the same point. I’m actually watching with my kids so I’d have to ask if they want to start the series over again. I might do Dragonball now and pick up when you guys get closer

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Cipher wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I figured it was 5 episodes a week because that matches the release schedule of the show when it first aired? At least that's how it aired for me here in NZ.
It aired weekly in Japan.
Yes I realize that, but most people here watching it back in the day most likely did so every afternoon after school.

Snart

Post by Snart » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Ajay wrote:It's time!

-

What is this?
Beginning on Sunday, I'll be starting a rewatch of Dragon Ball Z, skipping absolutely nothing -- episode 1 right through to 291! I'd love for everyone to join me, and participate in weekly discussion threads, much like we do already with Super.

We'll we watching at a rate of five episodes a week. The intent is to get a taste of Z's pacing without actually going through this for years upon years. This should take us a little over a year. Still long, but nothing too extreme. It'll give us a chance to analyse the show properly, and not overburden those with busy schedules.

You just have to find time for five episodes between each Sunday. Hopefully that's doable for everyone! No pressure to marathon.

What language?
Obviously the emphasis at Kanzenshuu is on the original Japanese version of the show, and that's what I'll be going with, too. I'd like to encourage everyone to take that route so that we're all on the same page, but there's no hard rule. Do what you want~

Why are you not starting with Dragon Ball?
Entirely selfish reasons. I rewatched Dragon Ball not very long ago, and frankly, I don't feel like going through it again so soon. This is really just me turning my own plans into a community event, so... sorry! I'd hope we're all familiar enough with the first part of the story for this to not be a big deal.

-

That's about it! Look out for the 'Dragon Ball Z - Episodes #1-5 - Discussion Thread' coming to the forum on Sunday. Hopefully there's enough interest to keep this alive... or even get it off the ground in the first place.

If you have any questions, then by all means let me know.
Would I watch the first 5 episodes before this coming Sunday or wait UNTIL Sunday to start? (Super excited to participate in this!!)
Goku Black Rosé is beautiful

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Snart wrote:Would I watch the first 5 episodes before this coming Sunday or wait UNTIL Sunday to start? (Super excited to participate in this!!)
Wait until Sunday to start, yeah. From then, you have until the next Sunday to catch the 5 episodes.

So some people might watch one a day between Monday and Friday, while others might just marathon all five at the weekend.

Wanted to give people as many options are possible. The threads won't be locked, so if you fall behind, it's not the end of the world.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I actually plan on participating a bit. I did this recently. I decided to watch through all of the big 4 anime/manga series (DB, One Piece, Naruto, Pokemon), and I've hit a bit of a stalemate due to finals right now at One Piece, but I went through all of Dr. Slump and DB/DBZ/DBGT, so this is fresh in my mind. Looking forward to it!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

I started rewatching it a couple months back, I'm actually watching Episode 128 right now. I rewatch the episodes then update the pages on the Dragon Ball wiki.

I think I took on more work than I wanted to actually lol.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Nice username on Reddit.

I'll join, I actually stated rewatching the series some I'm on episode 6 already.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
DSB wrote: Could you also come up with a few Bad animation comparisons with Super's to shut down illiterates down once and for all? Like i presented a bunch of bad animations a few weeks back
Would you quit it with the anti Z posts? For fucks sake. Nobody is complaining about Supers animation anymore.
Someone's mad.

Bear

Post by Bear » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 am

Can’t wait! The holidays are starting for me next week (I live in Australia), so it’ll be so much easier for me for the next 7 weeks! :D
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

This could be fun,i can only hope we get past those awful filler episode on namek.
Mostly active on discord.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

I'd really like to participate, I'm going to run it by my kids but I doubt they will want to go for it since we are knee deep in the android saga.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am

DSB wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
DSB wrote: Could you also come up with a few Bad animation comparisons with Super's to shut down illiterates down once and for all? Like i presented a bunch of bad animations a few weeks back
Would you quit it with the anti Z posts? For fucks sake. Nobody is complaining about Supers animation anymore.
Someone's mad.
Going by your responses when theres Super criticisms, you seem the one who's mad that you felt the need to make 3 threads bashing Z

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Bullza wrote:I started rewatching it a couple months back, I'm actually watching Episode 128 right now. I rewatch the episodes then update the pages on the Dragon Ball wiki.

I think I took on more work than I wanted to actually lol.
I'm not trying to sound like a dick.
But if your going by the old Funi dub the information on the wiki should already be correct.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

The gr wrote:This could be fun,i can only hope we get past those awful filler episode on namek.
I hope I can get past the Android/Cell arc, was re-watching Kai earlier in the year and everything was great until that arc started then I lost interest part way. I feel my responses to that portion of Z onwards (incl Buu arc) is just gonna be full of criticism.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 pm

The only bad filler on Namek is "fake Namek" and then the padding during Goku/Freeza. Even stuff like the Bulma eps is only 2 eps long.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I hope I can get past the Android/Cell arc, was re-we]atching Kai earlier in the year and everything was great until that arc started then I lost interest part way. I feel my responses to that portion of Z onwards (incl Buu arc) is just gonna be full of criticism.
I also don't like the android/cell saga and the only portion i like are imperfect cell and training for the android, the rest is bleh.The buu saga is a bit more bearable still is just drags & drags.The narrative also gets worse with saiyans battle hungry idiots.
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm

precita wrote:The only bad filler on Namek is "fake Namek" and then the padding during Goku/Freeza. Even stuff like the Bulma eps is only 2 eps long.
But they are two REALLY boring episodes. The filler during the Goku/Freeza fight that's bad is the cutaways to Bulma and Chichi because it interrupts the flow of the fight. I'd much rather watch the Kai version of the Goku/Freeza fight than watch either the fake Namek arc or the two Bulma episodes.

While the rewatch hasn't begun, I found the Ocean dub cut of the first few DBZ episodes and the Kai version really interesting in how they editted the same material. The first 6 episodes were cut down to 4 episodes for Kai and the Ocean dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm

The padding of Goku/Freeza itself is worse than the cutaways. Especially the constant fighting and then stop fighting to stare down at each other. A lot of the Toei added fighting scenes also didn't really add much.

The Cell and Buu arcs had far superior pacing, especially during the fights.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm

precita wrote:The padding of Goku/Freeza itself is worse than the cutaways. Especially the constant fighting and then stop fighting to stare down at each other. A lot of the Toei added fighting scenes also didn't really add much.

The Cell and Buu arcs had far superior pacing, especially during the fights.
I don't know how anyone can say that's true. The cutaways make the the episodes go twice the length they should've otherwise gone. I dont' recall there being that much actual fight filler and what we got was good and was intense. You talk about the staredowns, but they aren't as numerous as you claim. I recently rewatched all of Kai and DBZ and there aren't nearly as many staredowns as you claim, certainly not more than the annoying cutaways to whatever Chichi and Bulma are doing.

The Cell and Buu arc fights aren't that good to begin with. Kai makes them moderately more palatable. And you wanna talk about staring contests - Jesus, it doesn't get much worse than in the Cell arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

None of the Cell or Buu arc fights go anywhere on for long. Goku only fights Cell for 3 episodes from what I remember, then the whole final stuff with Gohan, the Cell Jr's, etc. is split between so many different parts it's not one long fight. The fights against all of Buu's forms was extremely brief. They go on only for a few eps each.

You could arguable say Kid Buu was the longest but it was done so well it didn't matter.