The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm

It's time!

-

What is this?
Beginning on Sunday, I'll be starting a rewatch of Dragon Ball Z, skipping absolutely nothing -- episode 1 right through to 291! I'd love for everyone to join me, and participate in weekly discussion threads, much like we do already with Super.

We'll we watching at a rate of five episodes a week. The intent is to get a taste of Z's pacing without actually going through this for years upon years. This should take us a little over a year. Still long, but nothing too extreme. It'll give us a chance to analyse the show properly, and not overburden those with busy schedules.

You just have to find time for five episodes between each Sunday. Hopefully that's doable for everyone! No pressure to marathon.

What language?
Obviously the emphasis at Kanzenshuu is on the original Japanese version of the show, and that's what I'll be going with, too. I'd like to encourage everyone to take that route so that we're all on the same page, but there's no hard rule. Do what you want~

Why are you not starting with Dragon Ball?
Entirely selfish reasons. I rewatched Dragon Ball not very long ago, and frankly, I don't feel like going through it again so soon. This is really just me turning my own plans into a community event, so... sorry! I'd hope we're all familiar enough with the first part of the story for this to not be a big deal.

-

That's about it! Look out for the 'Dragon Ball Z - Episodes #1-5 - Discussion Thread' coming to the forum on Sunday. Hopefully there's enough interest to keep this alive... or even get it off the ground in the first place.

If you have any questions, then by all means let me know.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Whooo!! Finally, it's here! And just in time - now I can switch to watching Z in the mornings before work and build up another Boruto backlog.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Will there be any focus in the weekly discussions or will it be more free-for-all discussions on anything we find noteworthy? I think having maybe one or two overarching focuses to direct weekly discussion would be a good idea. For example, animation comparisons to Super, analysis of the score, pacing, or voice performances. Just some food for thought.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm currently in a rewatch of the series right now, at the Androids arrival. I'm watching the dub but I turn on subtitles now and again to see whats different. I watch 2-3 a week. So I'll join once everything catches up aagin.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:Will there be any focus in the weekly discussions or will it be more free-for-all discussions on anything we find noteworthy? I think having maybe one or two overarching focuses to direct weekly discussion would be a good idea. For example, animation comparisons to Super, analysis of the score, pacing, or voice performances. Just some food for thought.
I'll try and shape the conversation with my own thoughts, but it's mostly a free-for-all. If there's enough demand, I could suggest a posting template to kick things off? A series of questions or something.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Orb

Post by Orb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

I'll pop in when its time for The Great Dragon Ball GT Rewatch.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Ajay wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:Will there be any focus in the weekly discussions or will it be more free-for-all discussions on anything we find noteworthy? I think having maybe one or two overarching focuses to direct weekly discussion would be a good idea. For example, animation comparisons to Super, analysis of the score, pacing, or voice performances. Just some food for thought.
I'll try and shape the conversation with my own thoughts, but it's mostly a free-for-all. If there's enough demand, I could suggest a posting template to kick things off? A series of questions or something.

Could you also come up with a few Bad animation comparisons with Super's to shut down illiterates down once and for all? Like i presented a bunch of bad animations a few weeks back

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 pm

I very much doubt I'll have time to fit in a re-watch of the series myself to coincide with this, but man do I look forward to reading you and other people's thoughts on the series as they move through! I know I had a ton of fun doing a similar thing back on the FUNi Forums ages ago (which was also the first time I sat through the Japanese version of the franchise). It's amazing the little things you'll think or wonder about when you actually sit down and watch the series anew for the first time in a while, versus just thinking about stuff in your head.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Ajay wrote:
That would very helpful. Recently with the release of JL someome on another forum did that and the thread was great not many reactionary posts and you got people's full opinion on the movie and the posts were easy to follow.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:58 pm

yes time to watch dbz with cc and best audios :)

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Oh. "There's a Kanzenshuu thread, too?!"
I'm the dude who just said on reddit that he'd finished watching the series today.

So will I participate...? I'll definitely keep an eye on these discussions; should be fun and interesting. Even though I've just done a rewatch, I actually feel tempted to rewatch some episodes again because of this thread.

... :think:

No, YOU'RE addicted to Dragon Ball!
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Have fun, guys. I think I can wait until a HD version of the show comes out. It's not like I've got time now either way with a 4 years old and full time job :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Agh damn. I wish I did the subtitles for the first two arcs of the series. I have the Japanese and dub subtitles for the rest of the series. What does that have to do with anything? I think that it would be cool if I did a side-by-side comparison between the two versions to highlight the true differences that Funimation created in their version (kind of like Herms's comparison between the Japanese manga and Viz's version). It would kind of work perfectly under the same pace that you guys will be re-watching the series. Now if you started off with Dragon Ball, it would be a different story, but because Funimation decided not to even bother with the dub's subtitles on their orange brick, Dragon Box, or even Ultimate Uncut sets, then I basically have to get them off of Funimation Now, which means actually watching the episode. Hm... I suppose it's possible...

Would this be an interesting concept, or does nobody care at this point?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

DSB wrote: Could you also come up with a few Bad animation comparisons with Super's to shut down illiterates down once and for all? Like i presented a bunch of bad animations a few weeks back
Would you quit it with the anti Z posts? For fucks sake. Nobody is complaining about Supers animation anymore.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 pm

sangofe wrote:Have fun, guys. I think I can wait until a HD version of the show comes out. It's not like I've got time now either way with a 4 years old and full time job :)
Then!!
you'll wait for long time :D as they use DNR for theirs HD movie online i don't think it's even planned for the moment to rescan the thing in HD

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Why only 5 eps a week? It'll take you over 2 years to watch all 291 eps at that rate.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
sangofe wrote:Have fun, guys. I think I can wait until a HD version of the show comes out. It's not like I've got time now either way with a 4 years old and full time job :)
Then!!
you'll wait for long time :D as they use DNR for theirs HD movie online i don't think it's even planned for the moment to rescan the thing in HD
Yeah, but I'm in no hurry. It's not like DBZ will go away. And I'm sure it'll happen one day.

precita wrote:Why only 5 eps a week? It'll take you over 2 years to watch all 291 eps at that rate.
Because people have lives and other things to do than watch anime? Heck, 5 episodes is too much for me.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm actually not sure I'll be able to keep up with five episodes a week, but I'll do my best.

If it were two episodes or something, I could promise.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm

I figured it was 5 episodes a week because that matches the release schedule of the show when it first aired? At least that's how it aired for me here in NZ.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

KBABZ wrote:I figured it was 5 episodes a week because that matches the release schedule of the show when it first aired? At least that's how it aired for me here in NZ.
It aired weekly in Japan.