The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: The Great 'Dragon Ball Z' Rewatch Starts Sunday!

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

precita wrote:None of the Cell or Buu arc fights go anywhere on for long. Goku only fights Cell for 3 episodes from what I remember, then the whole final stuff with Gohan, the Cell Jr's, etc. is split between so many different parts it's not one long fight. The fights against all of Buu's forms was extremely brief. They go on only for a few eps each.

You could arguable say Kid Buu was the longest but it was done so well it didn't matter.
It's not the length as such, it's the quality of the material and Kai makes the Gohan/Cell fight bearable. In Z it's much longer than it needs to be and even in Kai, it's still very start-stop. I'll take an intense fight for 10 episodes over a boring fight for 3 episodes. With the exception of the fight between Buu and Vegeta and then the Vegeta and Goku fight, most of those fights are boring in that arc.

Sorry. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. How come this is a DBZ rewatch and not Kai?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:49 pm

DBZ has better Japanese performances than Kai, better music, and is a superior product. The filler and padding isn't too bad outside of certain points, and it's what people grew up on.

DBZ is like a 5 star restaurant, whereas Kai is like McDonald's. It's quick and to the point and will fill you up, but it's empty inside.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm

ABED wrote:How come this is a DBZ rewatch and not Kai?
Pretty much the reasons Precita said (albeit without the harsh analogy). I'm looking to experience Z in all its glory, and with all of its flaws. With the high quality broadcast audio recently becoming available, I'm also excited to experience that in full for the first time.

Mainly though, it's my opportunity to really analyse Z's animation to the extent that I have done with Super over the past few years. Kai can only give me so much in that regard. Even the smallest of nothing scenes can be hugely beneficial in identifying styles.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I'm not trying to sound like a dick.
But if your going by the old Funi dub the information on the wiki should already be correct.
Oh I'm just adding to it. Adding in characters, locations, objects, battles and transformations that appear in each episode. Adding the differences between the anime episode and the equivalent manga chapter. Adding to the plot summary if its pretty bare.

Just giving the pages more information really and making sure they all look consistent with each other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

DBZ is like a 5 star restaurant, whereas Kai is like McDonald's. It's quick and to the point and will fill you up, but it's empty inside.
I don't think that's a fair analogy at all. I love the original performances and music, but the pacing and padding is terrible, so it's not akin to a 5 star restaurant. Kai's issues are different. The pacing is FAR better and the dub is excellent. The JPN performances are not up to snuff, the music is a mixed bag and the reanimated sequences stick out like a sore thumb. The question then becomes is "which aspects are more important to you?" For me and many, the superior dub and far greater pacing outweigh Z's positive qualities.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 pm

ABED wrote:
I don't think that's a fair analogy at all. I love the original performances and music, but the pacing and padding is terrible, so it's not akin to a 5 star restaurant. Kai's issues are different. The pacing is FAR better and the dub is excellent. The JPN performances are not up to snuff, the music is a mixed bag and the reanimated sequences stick out like a sore thumb. The question then becomes is "which aspects are more important to you?" For me and many, the superior dub and far greater pacing outweigh Z's positive qualities.
This really only applies to countries that had terrible Dbz dubs. FUNimation's Z dub, the French Z dub etc. My options when it comes to choosing between Z vs Kai are, horrible pacing with great music and great voice acting or good pacing with inferior music (placement) and inferior voice acting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't think the placement is nearly as bad as some claim. I think it's much ado about nothing.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 am

Ajay wrote:
Pretty much the reasons Precita said (albeit without the harsh analogy). I'm looking to experience Z in all its glory, and with all of its flaws. With the high quality broadcast audio recently becoming available, I'm also excited to experience that in full for the first time.

Mainly though, it's my opportunity to really analyse Z's animation to the extent that I have done with Super over the past few years. Kai can only give me so much in that regard. Even the smallest of nothing scenes can be hugely beneficial in identifying styles.
not the one on <illegal site> of course the flacs one added to the secret color correction which was made with jasonspidey71 aka ionutbigiu just enjoy it :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 am

And I was planning on re-watching the show in the future as part of "personal assessment" of the anime. Gosh darn it. Beaten to the punch. :P

Well, I've nearly finished my personal assessment of the first Dragon Ball anime (and the chapters that were adapted from it), so I should have that ready before Sunday.

EDIT: And yes, I'll be joining that thread every Sunday as well
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:10 am

I think I'll join in on this too.
I've never actually seen a full episode of Z in Japanese, so I think it's about time I gave the original version a chance.

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 pm

I've finally decided to join up onto Kanzenshuu to take part in this (hello, everyone!), but I must admit that I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do so. That's largely because I live in Ireland, which (due to sharing whatever the UK gets) means that DBZ isn't available on Crunchyroll, and the only DVDs I can get legally are the Manga-released Orange Bricks.* And when it's my first time properly watching Dragon Ball Z, I'd rather not do that.

Can anyone suggest what I should do? I'd really like to watch Dragon Ball Z and see how things go, but I don't know what to do to just watch the show. (And before people suggest downloading a good copy of the show from some website, I have neither the hard drive space or time to download big files when I've got a 20-gig-per-day limit to deal with.)

*And because of course they are, the Dragon Boxes (the only good home video release of DBZ) are not only out of print, but they're the only DBZ DVDs that are restricted to region 1 players. Gah! :crazy:

Bear

Post by Bear » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:39 am

Apollo Fungus wrote:*And because of course they are, the Dragon Boxes (the only good home video release of DBZ) are not only out of print, but they're the only DBZ DVDs that are restricted to region 1 players. Gah! :crazy:
I live in Australia and I can perfectly play. Over here we are region 4 and I believe that the Dragon Boxes are Regions 1, 2 and 4.
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote:That's largely because I live in Ireland, which (due to sharing whatever the UK gets) means that DBZ isn't available on Crunchyroll, and the only DVDs I can get legally are the Manga-released Orange Bricks.* And when it's my first time properly watching Dragon Ball Z, I'd rather not do that.
I mean, unless you want to import FUNi's similarly-gacked Blu-Rays, there's nothing else to do. FUNi poisoned the well for everyone.
Bear wrote:
Apollo Fungus wrote:*And because of course they are, the Dragon Boxes (the only good home video release of DBZ) are not only out of print, but they're the only DBZ DVDs that are restricted to region 1 players. Gah! :crazy:
I live in Australia and I can perfectly play. Over here we are region 4 and I believe that the Dragon Boxes are Regions 1, 2 and 4.
Negative, the FUNi Dragon Boxes are 1 and 4, because that was doubtlessly a condition to Toei's to prevent Japanese imports.

Of course, Japan happens to share the Region 2 designation with most of Western Europe and the Middle East (and South Africa). In what committee's mind did that make sense? (Or what weighty particularities am I not privy too?)
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:18 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Of course, Japan happens to share the Region 2 designation with most of Western Europe and the Middle East (and South Africa). In what committee's mind did that make sense? (Or what weighty particularities am I not privy too?)
ToeiEU are responsible for those areas and ToeiUSA for America and Australia and couple that with not wanting an easy import to Japan like you said the Dboxes being 1 & 4 makes a lot of sense really, given that Toei branches still lack communication between them it's not surprising that DB releases are a mess.

With Toei nothing ever will make sense, I mean they waited over a year to get a legal simulcast of a new DB series! Mind boggling. I have never witnessed a company with such lack of awareness, sure you can blame FUNi for cropping and crappy remasters but Toei are the one's signing it off, I feel like the blame is sorta misplaced on FUNi if someone tells you what you are doing is okay how much blame can truly be had at the person doing it?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:18 pm

It's been a while since I watched Z. I'll join, probably won't have time to watch five episodes every week, but I'll do what I can.

I never watched Z with only the Japanese version, and since I'm used to the Japanese cast now because of Super, this should be fun.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm

A month ago I was thinking of doing an entire series rewatch with one of my friends. We started from Dragon Ball, and I made him watch it in Japanese for the first time. He hadn't seen DB in general for about 10 years. We got to the end of Muscle Tower and he cancelled his Hulu, so we stopped and haven't continued yet. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that this would have been perfect timing considering where we were a month ago, and I could've seamlessly transitioned onto Z for this group rewatch. Oh well, count me in.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:07 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Ajay wrote:

not the one on <illegal site> of course the flacs one added to the secret color correction which was made with jasonspidey71 aka ionutbigiu just enjoy it :)
I must be late to the party , awwww that is nice of you..

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 pm

I'll be joining in. Finally going to listen to the series with the broadcast audio.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm

DBZimran wrote:I'll be joining in. Finally going to listen to the series with the broadcast audio.
Where is the broadcast audio available?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 am

Ajay will this re-watch include the two specials too? Also what about the old Z movies(they may prove to be a welcomed break once in a while)?