Opinions on Dragon Ball Minus

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Opinions on Dragon Ball Minus

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:*snip*
Honestly this is how I feel. You said it much better than I could have put it.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 pm

I love it because it's canon plain and simple the movie/tv-special wasn't Toriyama idea, even though the movie/tv-special was great I stuck myself on the canon first.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I love it because it's canon plain and simple the movie/tv-special wasn't Toriyama idea, even though the movie/tv-special was great I stuck myself on the canon first.
I mean... you can have that opinion but what if Super had just a terrible arc? Would you love it? I do like that DB- is canon over the TV special.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Meshack wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I love it because it's canon plain and simple the movie/tv-special wasn't Toriyama idea, even though the movie/tv-special was great I stuck myself on the canon first.
I mean... you can have that opinion but what if Super had just a terrible arc? Would you love it? I do like that DB- is canon over the TV special.
Super does have a terrible arc at least the anime version with the end of the Zamasu Arc, and in both Manga and Anime I didn't like the Deus Ex Machina resolve with Zen'Oh, I understood that it was for humor reason but don't like. Still I accept it because that's the vision of Toriyama and I respect his vision.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Super does have a terrible arc at least the anime version with the end of the Zamasu Arc, and in both Manga and Anime I didn't like the Deus Ex Machina resolve with Zen'Oh, I understood that it was for humor reason but don't like. Still I accept it because that's the vision of Toriyama and I respect his vision.
I mean, Zenoh solving the situation sounds like it came from Toriyama. Zenoh in the end became Zenoh’s friend.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm

It's been a few years now, so I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure Minus was the inspiration for my current avatar.

I liked that the Saiyans were just brutes. I liked that Goku was sent to harvest Earth. I liked the humour that the only reason he didn't was because he got concussed as an infant.* I liked that he just was a cog that achieved greatness by sheer accident. I didn't need to know that from the beginning he was actually the hope of the universe.

*Now that's a sentence that would look horrible out of context.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Goku being sent to earth to essentially kill everyone only to become the planet's greatest protector is much preferd.

Minus gave us Goku's mom, that's about it more or less.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am

MR.Mark wrote:Goku being sent to earth to essentially kill everyone only to become the planet's greatest protector is much preferd.

Minus gave us Goku's mom, that's about it more or less.
Well, backstory for the Saiyans is revealed.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am

I liked it.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

As a whole, I think Dragon Ball Minus was really unnecessary. The only worthwhile thing about that chapter was knowing who Goku mother was, and even after learning that, you kinda wished that Goku's mother died in battle because she's barely a character in the chapter. And don't tell me you can't make a compelling or interesting character in just one chapter, because you can. Did the dramatic irony of Goku's arrival to Earth have to be annulled so we could Goku's mother? I don't think so. Dragon Ball Minus fails in nearly aspect because it feels much less like a story with fleshed out characters and more of a glorified checklist. This sort of story really needed more than one chapter. I ca honestly say, without hyperbole, that it's one of the worst things Toriyama has ever put pen/pencil to paper.

Overall, I'm pretty indifferent towards Dragon Ball Minus' entire existence. It's happened, but I have the TV special and original manga to always go back to and watch, so it's no skin off my bones.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I really dislike it. The only thing I like was knowing about Goku's mom. The art is terrible. It screwed up Bardock's character. And it turned Goku's origins into a Superman ripoff. As if we needed more things to continue the stupid Goku vs Superman debate. So yeah, it sucks Dragon Balls.
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm

A story that was completely unnecessary. Toriyama didn't need to make Bardock into Jor-El.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Toriyama didn't need to make Bardock into Jor-El.
Huh? Dragon Ball Minus never stated Bardock was a brilliant scientist though. joking... of course.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Huh? Dragon Ball Minus never stated Bardock was a brilliant scientist though. joking... of course.
Yeah, I know that.

What I meant by Bardock being like Jor-El in Minus was that much like Jor-El, he sent Goku to Earth.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 pm

The words after the bold, my friend. Those tiny words after the bold you did it. :P
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:21 pm

I want a anime adaption of Jaco the galactic patrolman so bad, I just hope Minus is well, minus in the process.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I want a anime adaption of Jaco the galactic patrolman so bad, I just hope Minus is well, minus in the process.
It’d be a great TV special

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Yeah, I know that.

What I meant by Bardock being like Jor-El in Minus was that much like Jor-El, he sent Goku to Earth.
So because Toriyama had Barduck send Kacarrot to earth means he’s like Jor-El? How many other series have the main protagonist who’s an alien being sent to earth?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:34 pm

It adds nothing of value to the series and only ends up retconning what we thought we knew about Goku’s backstory.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It adds nothing of value to the series and only ends up retconning what we thought we knew about Goku’s backstory.
Not really. Raditz was probably told that he was sent away as a flying child to earth.