Dragonball Re-watch with the Kids

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragonball Re-watch with the Kids

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 am

...should I be surprised that she doesn't know English?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 am

Danfun64 wrote:...should I be surprised that she doesn't know English?
Dude. She's four years old. Four... We live in Norway where the official languages are Norwegian and new Norwegian (a variety of Norwegian that resembles the original Norwegian more). I speak in French to her to pass down the language of her family in France.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Be patient and thoughtful of them. Watch it at their leisure. If they wanna go slower or faster its up to them.
Oh no, this is totally up to them. We tend to limit their TV time and they make the choice to spend it watching Dragonball. We are just considering loosing up the time restriction if they want to marathon it. Usually the most we've let them watch is three consecutive episodes which I still think is a little too much but they always want to continue.
Hellspawn28 wrote:
precita wrote:Besides that, how do you feel about the violence? As you get into the Saiyan/Namek saga, it's easy to forget how violent certain scenes can get. Tons of blood, arms ripping off like Tien's, Freeza killing a whole bunch of Nameks, Vegeta coughing up blood.

Are you ok with your kids seeing such brutal violence at a young age? It's easy to forget how violent uncut DBZ can be at times.
I feel like if kids can handle most PG-13 movies these days, they should able to be okay with DBZ uncut.
Yeah that's how we tend to view it. A movie like Jurassic Park is Ok(ish) due to the nature of what its about and as long as it avoid intense violence and gore we are usually ok. That being said we do censor where we can, for instance while watching the Android saga there is a graphic part where Yamcha gets impaled by an android.
This was a bit intense so I skipped the actual impaling and made a point of showing where he recovered. Later on there was a part where 17 decapitates Dr. Gero with a leg kick. This was fine because I explained that hes actually a robot and this kind of thing occurs regularly in kid cartoons for instance Teen Titans Go where Cyborg often loses his head. However the very next scene is 17 leaping across the room and crushing Dr. Gero's head. Luckily it happens off screen and implied so they kids never see the graphic nature of it but understand the implications. It made me really appreciate the creative self-censoring and direction in general.

That being said it's far from 100% infallible. The worst so far was actually a filler dream sequence where the androids visit Goku in his bed while he is sleeping.
First the knocked out Krillin and Gohan. I think the purpose was to show they were actually dead but they appeared to be KO'ed. Then Chichi steps in and 18 grabs her by the throat and then snaps her neck so that her head falls back. then Trunk comes in and they impale him with his own sword while he is still holding it.
I couldn't get to the remote fast enough and all of our jaws dropped. Fortunately it was a dream but I was sure seeing these characters (not enemies) brutally murdered was going to be shocking. After they realized it was a dream my daughter turned to me bugged eyed and smiling a bit and said "if that happened to Mommy I would cry forever." So she definitely understood what was happening but I don't believe it scared her. To be honest I'm not really sure what it did except to make them really invested in them stopping the androids and I could tell when they fought in later episodes that they would hold their breath after every punch. It seemed like it really upped the tension for them and if the characters made one wrong move they would be dead. I think this was a contrast from Pokemon where the characters would bounce back after getting beat up a bit and they seemed to understand the stakes were really high. My son in particular was really emotionally invested.

Here is the clip for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxd3SbFK85c
Dbzfan94 wrote:Question for OP, why did you switch around so much? I get watching everything in order can be daunting but as you said it’s confusing to kids.

Also I find it funny they didn’t like how Goku was acting in Super
Well I didn't intend to. Like I said I showed interest in it while I was rewatching the Buu saga so I tried Super first and they didn't like it. So I tried them on Z and they got into it. Recently we had all these threads about if Z were released today and I realized that I had so valuable information I could present, but I also didn't want to do so without getting reactions for the other series as well to be fair. So far this is the impression I get:

Son disliked Super after the first episode. Of the 3/4 we watched he only like the 2nd episode.
Loves original DB the most because of kid Goku, but Z is close behind. Only marginally interested in GT because they are going into space.
Daughter loves Z the most and Gohan in particular. Enjoys original DB but doesn't seem to connect with the characters. Enjoys art style of Super because it looks like Pokemon XY but doesn't seem to like the lack of Gohan, nor "strong" female characters. My daughters favorite characters are in the following order. Gohan, 18, Videl, Pan. This also seems to be the only reason she's interested in GT at all.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 am

That random dream sequence reminds me of the (totally harmless) bit in the 22nd WMAT where Goku is ringed out by Tien... only for Yamcha to wake up from his nightmare. Way to use a cheap trick for padding, Toei!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

How did they react to see Freeza sliced in half by the discs at the end of the Namek arc? Or Piccolo losing arms, etc?

I assume aliens being cut in half or mutilated is less "violent" than it happening to humans because aliens are well...not real. They're like cartoon characters. So Freeza gets chopped in half, not a big deal. But if that happened to Goku or Krillin it would be horriffic.