If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

I'm with TheGreatness25, I would first want to see how they will handle the material and judge them after the fact.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:20 am

I really don't think pushing around Toei is high on Disney's priority list, a live action movie even less so. Dragon Ball will probably remain the job of whatever is left of 20th Century Fox.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am

I honestly think that their primary focus is uniting the Marvel property, as it is a proven commodity for them. Then, when they're sitting around looking at what else they have the rights to, maybe they'll weigh the pros and cons to making a Dragon Ball movie.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that a live action movie wouldn't work (goofy costumes and hair) and in order to do the story any sort of justice, each arc would essentially need to be its own movie (and even some of those would be rushed). I really don't support the idea of making an animation that looks any different than the art style that's already established. Basically, if they just start popping out original DB movies like the way Battle of Gods was, then that's something that I can get behind. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

With that said, I would absolutely love for them to prove me wrong. I just feel like DB might be a little too low on the totem pole for them.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't think they'd see DB as viable tbh, compared to some of their properties DB is nothing the highest DB grossing movie so far is about 60m ww
That's not exactly fair. I doubt Toei and Dragon Ball's various licensors have the resources to market and distribute films the way Disney could. Dragon Ball is a brand that's managed to stay popular for decades (though members on this forum seem to think it's really obscure and niche for whatever reason), and we all know how well Disney has managed to shove Marvel and Star Wars into as many faces as possible.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:56 am

I still don't Disney doing anything with Dragon Ball giving how DBE was a box office and critical flop. I don't think Hollywood is ready for another live action Dragon Ball since DBE is still fresh in people's minds. When a live action movie of a anime and manga gets made, people always bring up DBE.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pm

The world is ready for a Dragon Ball movie with fight scenes like Man of Steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ
El Conejo Malo

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Indeed, Man of Steel is one of those modern films that just made me wish I was watching live action DB instead. It can be done, the design for the characters and world just has to be balanced to suit the medium.

There's good ways: Image

And there's bad ways: Image

As for arcs being rushed in film format, really depends on what is altered or condensed from the manga. I can see some arcs being split into two, two hour films each.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm not really a fan of anything Disney are putting out these days (not because I "dislike" it, but because I literally never actually watch any of it), but I've always been a fan of Disney the company, in terms of the culture, the older work, etc. I don't know why but I've always liked it, probably because of all the history I guess.

I've always wanted well done, live-action Dragon Ball. If Disney wants to have a pop at it, go right ahead. If they do it well, brilliant. If not, much like Dragon Ball Evolution, I don't have to watch it again.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Indeed, Man of Steel is one of those modern films that just made me wish I was watching live action DB instead. It can be done, the design for the characters and world just has to be balanced to suit the medium.

As for arcs being rushed in film format, really depends on what is altered or condensed from the manga. I can see some arcs being split into two, two hour films each.
I don't like how Piccolo looks in that first photo.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Fair enough, you can at least agree it's better than that other pic I hope. :lol:

Here's another one that looks pretty decent.

There examples of a step in the right direction at least.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Indeed, Man of Steel is one of those modern films that just made me wish I was watching live action DB instead. It can be done, the design for the characters and world just has to be balanced to suit the medium.

I don't like how Piccolo looks in that first photo.
I don't like how piccolo looks in either photo.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Ok cool, how bout finding a pic you do like? I have a topic about it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40624

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:49 am

If Disney hired me to do a dbz film for them I would get the rights to a live action dbz and skip DB if I was Disney. I would then make sure funi and a team that respected the franchise was on board.

1st film would on Raditz to Vegeta, Super Saiyan would be hinted during this film.

Post credit scene would tease Freeza.

2nd film would be the Frieza saga.

Post credits scene here would be Goku landing on the mcu earth putting Goku in the MCU.

Dragonball would be set on a planet similar to Earth called Toei or Tori so that their world is 100% fateful to their earth and the name can be an Easter egg.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am

I'd prefer if they made CG arc movies with the animation quality of...well, other disney films. That'd get Classic DB more popularity in the states when Z tends to overshadow it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 am

I would ask for the animation to be good and for the characters not to look weird. But other than this, yeah, I would also like a Disney CG movie. Could be good.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am

How about Disney bankrolling more animated movies and just letting Toei do their thing? This would be the best outcome.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

mr.fredsolo

Post by mr.fredsolo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Kuwabara wrote:How about Disney bankrolling more animated movies and just letting Toei do their thing? This would be the best outcome.
Agreed.

Personally, this is how I feel about this whole thing.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Ok cool, how bout finding a pic you do like? I have a topic about it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40624
Well, not sure how he feels, but frankly I don't think Dragon Ball would ever look good in live action. I in particular can't stand those fan-made movies on YouTube where everything is super edgy and it doesn't feel true to Dragon Ball at all. Leave it animated, thanks. And no CG stuff if RoF's ugly CG scenes are anything to go by.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 pm

mr.fredsolo wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:How about Disney bankrolling more animated movies and just letting Toei do their thing? This would be the best outcome.
Agreed.

Personally, this is how I feel about this whole thing.

I Never Thought I say this but this Might be the ONLY Time I am in Favor of a Mononpoly like Disney Owning 21st Century Fox and the Rights it Got.

The Copyright Wars Between Marvel/Disney and FOX over the Rights of The X-Men and the Fantastic Four has been BEYOND CRAZY, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW CRAZY Over at my CBR Forums over this Issue with the X-Men and Fantastic Four! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

Honestly it has been the #1 Driving Force with how Books and Characters have been both Marketed, Written, Used and Promoted for the last Decade or So!

For any Marvel Fan this was one of if Not the #1 Topic Driving Dicussion and so with this Now at an End with Disney Finally Buying FOX and Getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four's Rights has been IMO a Great feeling of Finally we are at an End with these Copyright Wars and Marvel has ALL of its Characters back under one Roof!

If this Means also they can AT LEAST Fund Toei to Bankroll better and more high-production Anime Like Dragon Ball and others I am all for that cause Disney seems to let Studios do their own thing and it lets them have as steady stream of funding and good support.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

King13s

Post by King13s » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 am

So Disney is gonna own Fox and is partnered with/owns distribution of Ghibli in America.

Disney and 20th Century Fox present:
A Studio Ghibli adaptation:
Goku & the Journey West