If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 am

WittyUsername wrote:Does anyone believe that Disney would be willing to make new live action Dragon Ball films? They already have more than enough franchises under their belts, but with the decline of Star Wars, is there even a slight possibility that they would be willing to experiment with a new franchise?
Assuming the rights don't go back to Toei then maybe. They have the tech to pull it off but they also may do nothing at all with it. companies sit on franchises all the time and with DB being a very, very small part of fox it may not get anyone's attention outside of anime movie distribution every few years.
SSJgogeto wrote:So, that happened. Disney owns Fox now.

This will affect the next Dragon Ball movie?
Only in distribution which may be good as Disney could help get them out earlier. In terms of the next one, I doubt anything will change as it's too soon close to release.
miguelnuva1 wrote:Star Wars had a set back but it's not on the decline yet.
EP8 made 700 million $ less than EP8.

Solo won't even reach 400 million $ while rogue one made a billion, both being spin offs.

The merchandise is just sitting in stores in huge quantities.

There are reports of Disney's high ups wanting to get rid of kathleen kennedy, the head of star wars.

How is all that not a decline ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 am

If there's any justice in the world this deal will be broken. It's the least they can do without breaking up Disney and Fox more as it is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:58 am

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Star Wars had a set back but it's not on the decline yet.
EP8 made 700 million $ less than EP8.

Solo won't even reach 400 million $ while rogue one made a billion, both being spin offs.

The merchandise is just sitting in stores in huge quantities.

There are reports of Disney's high ups wanting to get rid of kathleen kennedy, the head of star wars.

How is all that not a decline ?
Episode 8 was never going to make anywhere near episode 7.

Backlash from TLJ and placment hurt Solo.

Kennedy's removal still seems like rumors but if their true it's likely for the best as I don't feel she was the person for the job.

Star Wars has had two good years and two bad years if the boat doesn't turn around after 9 then it will be a problem.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:Star Wars has had two good years and two bad years if the boat doesn't turn around after 9 then it will be a problem.
(veering off-topic here)

To be fair there was three years between Man of Steel and Suicide Squad with no good DC movies in-between. I think people are too hasty to write off Star Wars over a divisive film and a meh film.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:50 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
SSJgogeto wrote:So, that happened. Disney owns Fox now.

This will affect the next Dragon Ball movie?
Not yet, it has been approved by the U.S. Department of Justice but they have to sell off their regional sports networks first. The Fox brand isn't going nowhere unless they absorb it into Disney.
The vote is happening next week for the FOX Board to approve the deal. So, we will probably found out officially then if the deal has finally been made.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm not sure why, but Disney owning the rights to Dragon Ball films makes me uneasy (possibly because I don't like the direction Star Wars is in now). Could this in any way affect any Dragon Ball Series in the future?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:I'm not sure why, but Disney owning the rights to Dragon Ball films makes me uneasy (possibly because I don't like the direction Star Wars is in now). Could this in any way affect any Dragon Ball Series in the future?
In terms of the stuff coming out of Japan? Not at all. Dragon Ball in Japan will most likely continue as is. The big question mark in all this is whether or not Disney will consider doing a reboot of DBE.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:I'm not sure why, but Disney owning the rights to Dragon Ball films makes me uneasy (possibly because I don't like the direction Star Wars is in now). Could this in any way affect any Dragon Ball Series in the future?
In terms of the stuff coming out of Japan? Not at all. Dragon Ball in Japan will most likely continue as is. The big question mark in all this is whether or not Disney will consider doing a reboot of DBE.
Yuck. They would probably try a musical version, with Goku actually being Superman-esque (moreso than the 90s dub ever made him).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:Disney owning the rights to Dragon Ball films makes me uneasy. Could this in any way affect any Dragon Ball Series in the future?
If Disney gets the DB rights from fox (they could revert back to the Japanese right holders) then they'll just have distribution rights on the animated movies Toei makes and the production rights of any American live action movie. Anything animated from Japan won't be affected in any way by this. If, and this is a big if, they decide to do a live action movie, it can't get worse than Evolution so we don't have anything to worry about.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 pm

sintzu wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:Disney owning the rights to Dragon Ball films makes me uneasy. Could this in any way affect any Dragon Ball Series in the future?
If Disney gets the DB rights from fox (they could revert back to the Japanese right holders) then they'll just have distribution rights on the animated movies Toei makes and the production rights of any American live action movie. Anything animated from Japan won't be affected in any way by this. If, and this is a big if, they decide to do a live action movie, it can't get worse than Evolution so we don't have anything to worry about.
WittyUsername wrote:
OK that's good, my main interest in Dragon Ball now is the new film and a potential new series/continuation of Super, so I don't care quite as much now. And starting off the Saiyan Arc with "Geeko" and Piccolo Jr. in College could give Evolution a run for its money. :lol:

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Disney didn't due that Lucasfilm is what has Star Wars in the shape its in.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Honestly I think Disney would realize what Dragon Ball is and leave it to Toei, or if they did do an adaptation they'd go for safe authenticity (to what US fans are familiar with anyway, which is an oxymoron to most around here). I mean, we haven't exactly gotten a Wolverine animated musical since they acquired Marvel, right?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Does anyone believe that Disney would be willing to make new live action Dragon Ball films? They already have more than enough franchises under their belts, but with the decline of Star Wars, is there even a slight possibility that they would be willing to experiment with a new franchise?
Assuming the rights don't go back to Toei then maybe.
Fox got the DB rights from Shueisha back in 2002, not Toei. Since DBE was a commercial and critical flop, I would imagine they lost the live action movie rights a long time ago. People still have bad memories of DBE and most people didn't see it when it came out because it looked so bad. I don't see anyone wasting their time on another live action Dragon Ball movie at the moment.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Disney is actually trying to get the Dragon Ball movie rights.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Let em' have the rights. Doesn't matter who gets them. Everyone's just going to watch it anyway just like last time.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:58 pm Disney is actually trying to get the Dragon Ball movie rights.
Source?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 am

So this may mean we'll see Dragon Ball series and movies on Disney+ (streaming service) in the US, to be precise. Netflix Japan is awesome for DB fans but it's Japanese-only so not for everyone.

Daredevil, Punisher and other Marvel shows that were on Netflix have been cancelled, most assume it's because of Disney+ but that may be moved to Hulu instead. Will it be brought back or as good as it was on Netflix? Brought back? Possibly. As good as? Unlikely. These shows were amazing from start to finish.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Keep in mind that this only applies to Evolution and the three new animated movies for now. (I say for now because you never know what Disney will buy out in the future.) This doesn't have any impact on any of the shows or games because Fox was never involved with them and this won't mean anything for any future episodes of Super.

The biggest thing I see this impacting is any future movies whether Toei decides to make more or if Disney someday decides to make their own Dragon Ball movie. I don't see the latter happening in the near future but it's possible.

Thinking about this whole thing, this may have been one of the reasons why Toei decided to remake the movies in Super. In case anything like this ever happened and screwed up future distribution of the movies, they still have the TV versions to fall back on.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pmThinking about this whole thing, this may have been one of the reasons why Toei decided to remake the movies in Super. In case anything like this ever happened and screwed up future distribution of the movies, they still have the TV versions to fall back on.
Actually it was Toriyama, not TOEI that wanted the movies to be retold.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: