If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:I'd rather someone try and fail over again than nothing at all.
I'd take the opposite. I'll take no movies over one DB Evolution.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Even Disney's live action remakes are not very good since Alice in Wonderland was awful and try way too hard on being serious and epic. With Jungle Book, they could have made a better and more faithful adaption of the book instead of a live action remake of the 60's movie. If Disney ever did do a Dragon Ball movie (I doubt they will), I don't think it will be any better than we got with DBE. They will probably make it into a superhero movie similar how DBE was trying to be Sam Raimi's Spider-Man while trying to be a martial arts film at the same time.

Not to mention they already screw up Prince of Persia pretty badly as well in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Good live action Dragon Ball is very possible, just needs the right talent and vision attached to the project.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Disney most likely will keep the "21st Century Fox" banner for films they don't want the "Disney" logo on, the same as they've done with Buena Vista. As for titles like Dragon Ball, Disney would own the movie rights for just DB, as Toei still owns the live-action movie rights for DBZ. However, I'm sure that Toei would jump at the idea of Disney bringing anything Dragon Ball to live-action more than any other studio. As for now, we can only hope. Though a DB / DBZ adaptation a la Disney Animation wouldn't be too bad of an idea either, in my opinion.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:I'd rather someone try and fail over again than nothing at all.
I'd take the opposite. I'll take no movies over one DB Evolution.
I agree, somethings are better suited to not live action and this is one of them, it's never gonna be a faithful adaptation so what is the point?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Meh, not interested in a Disney Dragon Ball movie.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t like the idea of Disney owning so many properties? Monopolies aren’t good for any business.

Anyway, I should point out that Disney technically isn’t the reason for why the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been so successful. Those films started before Disney officially acquired Marvel.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Can't help but think of the version of DBZ where "I'll send you to the next dimension!" would be made into a live action film, with Disney in charge.

Overall, I think a quality live action DBZ film is possible. The director and writers would need to be, not only familiar with it, but fans as well. And Dragon Ball as a whole has become quite popular, even in Hollywood. Get the right people for it, it has possibility. Disney? No thanks. :thumbdown:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Holy shit, that never really dawned on to me until know. But I doubt Disney would take the gamble with a niche product as Dragon Ball, and especially after Dragonball Evolution, came, flopped and the went into obscurity very quickly. But you never know. Live action films based off of animated products have been so commercially and critically successful for Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to test the waters with Dragon Ball. I'd personally hate to see another live action and hate even more how much of a monopoly Disney is gaining, but what can you do? Money talks.
I'm doubtful about Disney taking another shot at live action DB, however, they may be very interested in participating in production of more DB animated movies/content and I think Toei will try and capitalize on this newfound business situation. Disney's resources are simply unlimited.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:07 am

WittyUsername wrote:Am I the only one who doesn’t like the idea of Disney owning so many properties? Monopolies aren’t good for any business.
The only way it stops is when people stop supporting it.
Avenant wrote:Disney most likely will keep the "21st Century Fox" banner for films they don't want the "Disney" logo on.
They're not buying fox, just their IPs. DB will go back to its original right holders, kind of like when you rent something then decide to sell your house, what isn't yours will go back to its owners.

If Mad house bought DB, they wouldn't be able to use (or want) Toei's logo as they wouldn't be buying Toei.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Can't help but think of the version of DBZ where "I'll send you to the next dimension!" would be made into a live action film, with Disney in charge.

Overall, I think a quality live action DBZ film is possible. The director and writers would need to be, not only familiar with it, but fans as well. And Dragon Ball as a whole has become quite popular, even in Hollywood. Get the right people for it, it has possibility. Disney? No thanks. :thumbdown:
Someone being a fan is not good for any project. You need some sense of objectivity, being familiar with the source is all that's needed.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I... would not mind this. Disney pretty much owns every huge franchise right now, so adding the Dragon Ball film rights to that collection would be kinda cool.

If, somehow, they obtain the film rights and do end up deciding to make a film, I hope they stick to animation. Disney acquiring the film rights doesn't matter much. Who they hire to make a film is what matters. I like what they've been doing with Star Wars lately, so I'm interested to see what would happen if they had Dragon Ball under their belts.

Or, they could do what DC are doing with that new Batman Ninja movie (which looks fucking awesome, by the way) and continue to have Dragon Ball films being made in Japan, just with their own budget, marketing and distribution.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I... would not mind this. Disney pretty much owns every huge franchise right now, so adding the Dragon Ball film rights to that collection would be kinda cool.

If, somehow, they obtain the film rights and do end up deciding to make a film, I hope they stick to animation. Disney acquiring the film rights doesn't matter much. Who they hire to make a film is what matters. I like what they've been doing with Star Wars lately, so I'm interested to see what would happen if they had Dragon Ball under their belts.

Or, they could do what DC are doing with that new Batman Ninja movie (which looks fucking awesome, by the way) and continue to have Dragon Ball films being made in Japan, just with their own budget, marketing and distribution.
Disney, for their main brand, has been a on a "realism" binge with remaking their classic films.

DB would not do well with Pixar, I think. Maybe create a new studio or something for it, or let Dragon Ball do its own thing with minimal oversight.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Disney is the company that owned Power Rangers and then sold it for a song because they didn't fully own it.

Dragon Ball would either find itself in the same boat or Fox's license would expire as a result of ownership changing hands (provisions like that are not uncommon in licensing contracts).
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I... would not mind this. Disney pretty much owns every huge franchise right now, so adding the Dragon Ball film rights to that collection would be kinda cool.

Disney, for their main brand, has been a on a "realism" binge with remaking their classic films.

DB would not do well with Pixar, I think. Maybe create a new studio or something for it, or let Dragon Ball do its own thing with minimal oversight.
I don't think they'd see DB as viable tbh, compared to some of their properties DB is nothing the highest DB grossing movie so far is about 60m ww some of their properties make double that opening weekend domestically. DB has a specific audience, Disney releases typically go after the mass audiences I don't think a wide DB release will do that well tbh animated or not.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 am

I'd much rather a good live action attempt. An American studio telling the story again in animation form would be a waste. The anime exists for anyone wanting to see it that way.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

The X-men and FF are finally home. :mrgreen: :clap: :thumbup:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 am

$52.4 Billion?

Hmm. That's... actually a good deal.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 am

Personally, I say let them try if they want. Worst case scenario, you can always not watch it and deny that it's really Dragon Ball. Best case scenario, you might actually like it.