If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mr.fredsolo

If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by mr.fredsolo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 pm

So, since Disney buying 21st Century Fox and most of it's assets seems like a likely thing to occur, that means their might be a Disney-produced Dragon Ball movie in the not-so-far-way future. Seeing what they've done with Marvel and Star Wars, they are honestly the only people in Hollywood who I trust not to turn Dragon Ball into a Michael Bay-inspired mess. That doesn't make it a guarantee that the movie(s) will be good but at least I'm certain they'll give it a worthy try. So, I guess I'm okay with monopolies now.

What do you all think?

Also, does anyone have any idea how this could affect the release of potential future anime movies like Battle of Gods or Resurrection F?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Wow I thought this was going to be a "We can have a decent Dragon Ball movie NAO!" But this is actually quite the interesting dilemma.

...Wait, nevermind it IS a "We can have a decent Dragon Ball movie NAO!" thread.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Do we know if Fox still has the Dragon Ball movie rights? DBE was not a box office hit and was critically hated, so I don't think anyone would want to do another live action Dragon Ball movie in Hollywood for at least another decade.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mr.fredsolo

Post by mr.fredsolo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Do we know if Fox still has the Dragon Ball movie rights? DBE was not a box office hit and was critically hated, so I don't think anyone would want to do another live action Dragon Ball movie in Hollywood for at least another decade.
Dragonball Evolution was in 2009. It has almost been a decade.

And Fox still owns the movie rights which is why their logo was in front of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. I believe distributing them allowed Fox to continue to hold on to the rights for a few more years. I don't know when another movie needs to happen before the rights are up for sale again.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 pm

They have not made a live action DB movie after 2009. I'm going to bet that they give up the live action movie rights a long time. It was different with Fantastic Four because Fox didn't want to give up the rights and at least the first movie from 2005 did a decent job at the box office (Made $300+ million worldwide on a 100 million dollar budget) unlike DBE.
She/Her

mr.fredsolo

Post by mr.fredsolo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:They have not made a live action DB movie after 2009. I'm going to bet that they give up the live action movie rights a long time. It was different with Fantastic Four because Fox didn't want to give up the rights and at least the first movie from 2005 did a decent job at the box office (Made $300+ million worldwide on a 100 million dollar budget) unlike DBE.
Live-action and animated film rights are part of the same deal. Fox acquired the DB movie rights in 2004. They made DBE in 2009 which many assume it was to keep the rights from expiring. They distributed BoG in 2014 which allowed them to hold on to the rights. Then they distributed RoF in 2015 which I assume allowed them to keep the rights until at least 2020. I don't know if Disney buying Fox affects the timing of any of that.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 pm

If the possibility of a Disney produced animated Dragon Ball film was ever open, you could sign me the heck up for it.

Realistically, I'm not sure if this would mean anything other than maybe giving Disney distribution rights to Evolution and the two new movies. This isn't going to have any impact on Super because Fox never had anything to do with it. Maybe if Toei were to make another movie, it would end up being released by Walt Disney Pictures (Or under their secondary Touchstone Pictures brand if they felt like it.) but without them being involved in its creation.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Wow I thought this was going to be a "We can have a decent Dragon Ball movie NAO!" But this is actually quite the interesting dilemma.

...Wait, nevermind it IS a "We can have a decent Dragon Ball movie NAO!" thread.
Most Disney movies are not very good in my opinion. I feel like Disney doing Star Wars movies every year is already bad enough seeing how Force Awakens was not very good in my opinion. Not to mention the MCU are far from great in my opinion since they are just typical pop corn flicks with somewhat better writing than most summer blockbuster crapfest films. I admit that I enjoy the Captain American movies and the Guardians of the Galaxy films as guilty pleasures, but most of the MCU is not very good. The last Spider-Man is pretty much Spider-Man as Iron Man Jr. than Spider-Man in my opinion.

Not to mention the Pirates movies are not very good neither in my opinion. Even the first movie has not aged very well to me.
She/Her

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 am

Why would Disney make a movie based on a well known property they wouldn't fully own?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 am

This kills me inside.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Wow I thought this was going to be a "We can have a decent Dragon Ball movie NAO!" But this is actually quite the interesting dilemma.

Most Disney movies are not very good in my opinion. I feel like Disney doing Star Wars movies every year is already bad enough seeing how Force Awakens was not very good in my opinion. Not to mention the MCU are far from great in my opinion since they are just typical pop corn flicks with somewhat better writing than most summer blockbuster crapfest films. I admit that I enjoy the Captain American movies and the Guardians of the Galaxy films as guilty pleasures, but most of the MCU is not very good. The last Spider-Man is pretty much Spider-Man as Iron Man Jr. than Spider-Man in my opinion.

Not to mention the Pirates movies are not very good neither in my opinion. Even the first movie has not aged very well to me.
I KNOW! Tell that to him and not me! I dont want a new Dragon Ball movie!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

With their Marvel characters, if someone else were to buy Fox's movies then those rights wouldn't be sold along with them but instead would go back to Marvel so the most likely thing that will happen is DB's rights would go back to Shuishia, not disney.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm not really happy about Disney owning all the good stuff these days.

But I recall Toriyama was influenced by Disney. So I guess they're a good choice to hold the movie rights?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Imagine what would happen if Disney ran anything Toriyama related through their AI movie algorithm.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Cipher wrote:This kills me inside.
Same. I hate the idea of Disney buying everyone out (and everyone supporting it), and I find most of their movies this day very bland and safe. Their Star Wars films are made on nostalgia alone (and apparently it's working), and the MCU are a bunch of incredibly safe, bland films made to appeal to as many people as possible, which also contain some of the most generic soundtracks to ever be used on film.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm more worry about Fox's other movies like Alien/Predator, Die Hard, The Fly and Deadpool being run by Disney than DB being ran by them. You can kiss R rated movies good by Disney unless Deadpool sequels, Future Die Hard sequels and future Alien/Predator movies are release by Touchstone Pictures.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Holy shit, that never really dawned on to me until know. But I doubt Disney would take the gamble with a niche product as Dragon Ball, and especially after Dragonball Evolution, came, flopped and the went into obscurity very quickly. But you never know. Live action films based off of animated products have been so commercially and critically successful for Disney, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to test the waters with Dragon Ball. I'd personally hate to see another live action and hate even more how much of a monopoly Disney is gaining, but what can you do? Money talks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm more worry about Fox's other movies like Alien/Predator, Die Hard, The Fly and Deadpool being run by Disney than DB being ran by them. You can kiss R rated movies good by Disney unless Deadpool sequels, Future Die Hard sequels and future Alien/Predator movies are release by Touchstone Pictures.
Almost all those movie franchises have been done for years or ruined by bad sequels. And now with the original actors too old like Schwarzeneggar, Bruce Willis, etc....they would have to reboot them anyway with younger actors and those are almost never good.

I think Mad Max and the new Planet of the Apes movies are the only older pre-2000's movie franchises that got successful reboots. Everything else has bombed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm

precita wrote:I think Mad Max and the new Planet of the Apes movies are the only older pre-2000's movie franchises that got successful reboots. Everything else has bombed.
Nope. There's also been Batman, Godzilla, Star Trek, Captain America and Superman.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm more worry about Fox's other movies like Alien/Predator, Die Hard, The Fly and Deadpool being run by Disney than DB being ran by them. You can kiss R rated movies good by Disney unless Deadpool sequels, Future Die Hard sequels and future Alien/Predator movies are release by Touchstone Pictures.
Why would Disney need to change the production compnay if they own them? Why would you even care if it's the same talent behind them?

And to the person with the "bland" comment: Would you rather have a bland but mostly enjoyed folm, or a wretched and hated film. Or worse, no film. Id rather someone try and fail over again than nothing at all.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063