DBGT: Perspectives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

DBGT: Perspectives

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 am

I know the title sounds like one of those goofy names for the English GT DVDs, but this post is about how much perspective affects opinions on things like GT.

I like GT. Its still the only DB series I've seen all the way through, and (more to the point) it was my true introduction to the world of Dragon Ball.

One of my favorite memories of GT has been, surprisingly enough, the black star dragon ball hunt. I always liked the first half (pre-S17) of the show more than the latter portion. So it has until now baffled me that the arc gets a lot of flack.

At the time, I didn't have much idea of the characters and world of Dragon Ball (beyond a couple of Broly movies), so I spent a lot of time in the first arc taking in anything I could to be introduced to these characters and how this world feels and operates - how's the grown up version of the annoying kid from the Broly movie? and oh, I guess Goku is always hungry, etc. I laughed at the goofy slapstick and corny dialogue. I absorbed it all. Effectively, I used this arc as my introduction to the whole world and felt nicely eased in before stuff got real and Baby started threatening the universe.

So I am rewatching GT (to experience the Japanese for the first time), and now I totally get it. The Black Star Dragon Ball hunt is so, so different when you're not completely brand new to the world and characters. I can finally see now that from the perspective of following up the buu arc and Z, its not a very good transition. Its like they smashed the brakes and tried to make it the beginning again--great for first time viewer me, but not so with second time viewer me and certainly not so with people who were already engulfed in the DB world.

I also realize that watching week by week, with 5 weeks before anything remotely suspenseful happens, was probably painful as a follow up to Z. Despite the episodes being enjoyable to watch, and the shenanigans funny (to me), most peoples' perspective of GT is not in isolation but as a sequel.

I find this a really fascinating realization and just goes to show how much perspective can change things and experiences, so I thought id share it with you all. I'm still definitely enjoying my rewatch and quite like the Japanese version so far. Happy 20th, GT!

sintzu
Banned

Re: DBGT: Perspectives

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:50 am

I fully agree that perspective can make or break something, especially something like GT. I watched the original 2 before moving onto GT but I saw Funimation's version which skipped the black star arc. My introduction was through Baby's arc so I didn't understand the hate it got until I went back and watched that first arc which I'm sure would've caused me to hate it just as much due to how bad it was. I didn't see that arc until years later so it didn't change much for me as Baby, super 17 & the shadow dragons were my image of GT for the longest time and that hasn't changed even today.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 am

Regarding perspectives, I think the dub adds a lot of elements (Nadolny, Menza, etc.) that both take away from GT's inherent strengths, and pile on additional faults, contributing a lot to its negative reputation in the modern fandom, to the point where it's become an obligatory meme to rag on it. Naturally, that's not where all of the contempt comes from, to be sure, but there's no way it isn't a major factor.

I like GT overall. For all of its faults, I think it was a creative push forward for the series, that had no substitute. I find it a more worthwhile thing to spend money on and own than Super's anime.

I think the "Grand Tour" portion definitely drags, with several mini-arcs that only really warrant single episodes each eating at least 40 minutes of run-time. I think the pacing hits a similar snag when Goku goes off to fight the Star Dragons. I found it odd and grating how bringing Gotenks into fights is repeatedly shot down, how Pan never goes Super Saiyan, and how the final quest to fight all of the Star Dragons didn't involve an ensemble cast.

That said, I like the creative re-use of older ideas as new villains. The characterization was consistently fun. The Super 17 arc (while by no means perfect) is criminally underrated. The ending is more emotional and poignant than anything the series ever needed or would have seen by Toriyama's hand. It's better than it had any excuse to be, with how cynically corporate its existence was. These are thoughts and opinions I've arrived at after a scattered, initial viewing of the dub, followed by a couple of rewatches in Japanese, and much discussion. As I became more familiar with the Japanese version, I became more fond of it. My girlfriend watching with me this most recent time has given me new perspective as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:04 am

For years I didn't understand when someone said it was "DB but not quite DB". Now I get it after watching and reading a lot more fiction and videos and books about fiction.

I'm a completionist so I don't believe watching GT in its proper order would've affected my enjoyment of the series at all, but FUNimation probably did the right thing in cutting to the chase.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.