List of things wrong with Dragon ball evolution

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bigray
Beyond Newbie

List of things wrong with Dragon ball evolution

Post by bigray » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 am

Ok i know its wayyyyyyy past its time and this might have already been posted somewhere. but i was discussing this with a friend today and i rewatched the movie to see how shit it actually was because honestly, i couldn't remember the movie. So i started to make a list and thought id post it here.

feel free to add or change anything...

Things they got wrong…
- Oozaru was never piccolos disciple. Piccolo had 4 henchment called – tambourine, Drum, Cymbal
- Goku wasn’t even on earth when piccolo first fought with everyone. And Goku is Oozaru
- A group of brave warriors did NOT create the mafuba. Master mutaito did.
- And so it has remained for thousands of years… NOT. Master Roshi fought King piccolo the first time and he is definitely not 1000 years old. He may be only 300years old.
- ‘the first rule is, there are no rules.’ Has never been mentioned in any DB episode
- Goku is 18years old. Grandpa gohan died when goku was about 3 years old.
- Grandpa gohan never explained to goku what the dragon ball is
- Goku never went to school growing up and neither did CHICHI and they didn’t meet at school.
- Goku talks about the nameks in science class but literally no one knows what a namek is until vegeta mentions it in DBZ. Piccolo doesn’t even know hes a namek
- King piccolo kills Grandpa Gohan. In DB goku kills his grandpa when he turns into an ape.
- Bulma knew about the dragon balls and goku didn’t. When bulma and goku meet she tells him all about them. In the movie it is the opposite.
- Roshi doesn’t even know about the dragon balls, it just washed up on his shore.
- Roshi lives on an island in the middle of nowhere! No the middle of the city.
- Master roshi is fucking bald!
- Goku never struggled with his Ki. He learnt the Kamehameha with ease.
- There are no elemental techniques in dragon ball. They don’t separate air, water and fire.
- Yamcha was so scared of women that he wouldn’t even think of talking to bulma like that when they first met.
- Yamcha is actually a good fighter.
- I repeat… there was no oozaru ever to be on earth before Goku. And piccolo was definitely not with him on earth 2000 years ago.
- King piccolo did not create henchmen by extracting blood from his veins. He spat out an egg.
- Bulma never wanted to be famous. She just wanted a boyfriend… like literally that’s all she wanted. She actually wouldn’t shut up about it.
- Goku did not need training for the Kamehameha. He saw master roshi do it once and did it himself.
- *insert random black master here*
- A Kamehameha is not used to give people energy.
- Goku never turned into oozaru in the piccolo fight and like fuck he would turn into oozaru and listen to Piccolos orders.
- Goku doesn’t finish Piccolo off with a Kamehameha. But ill give them credit with the way he launches into piccolo.
- Completely wrong way to summon shenron

End of the Hollywood American karate kid movie.

Things that aren’t wrong but they missed completely…
- Goku has the flying nimbus by the time he fights piccolo
- Krillin, Tien, chiaotzu, yajirobe, puar, oolong and launch existed.
- Roshi’s turtle shell.
- Pilaf and the gang where the ones to bring king piccolo back.

Things they got right…
- Character names and movie title
- Goku owns the 4 star dragon ball
- Roshi’s a pervert
- Chi Chi fights
- Storyline that Piccolo wants the dragon balls and Goku stops him.

some people say it wasnt meant to follow the same story line, my point to that is... if youre gonna rewrite a good show, make it a different timeline and dont recreate a storyline thats already successful. Imagine if they rewrite stars wars and darth vader isnt lukes father and luke learns to use the force from obi-wan and never meets yoda... its a fail as soon as you attempt to make the movie.

sintzu
Banned

Re: List of things wrong with Dragon ball evolution

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 am

The fact that it was ever made.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am

sintzu wrote:The fact that it was ever made.
Please try to add substance to your posts; this is an example of a post not worth making. Posts like these may be removed and/or justify account strikes. We ask more of our community members - please review the community guidelines.

For what it's worth, I don't consider obvious changes as things that they got "wrong". There were conscious decisions behind those changes to work within the confines of the product they were making.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 am

bigray wrote:if youre gonna rewrite a good show, make it a different timeline and dont recreate a storyline thats already successful. Imagine if they rewrite stars wars and darth vader isnt lukes father and luke learns to use the force from obi-wan and never meets yoda... its a fail as soon as you attempt to make the movie.
Dragon Ball Evolution takes place as much in another dimension as all the animated movies (except for Movie 14 and Movie 15, of course), probably. And what's the problem in rewriting? If it's a what-if/alternate scenario and/or if it takes place in another continuity completely apart from the main one, then I really don't see the problem in changing things. On the contrary, it should be welcomed, as it brings new possibilities, new interactions, new outcomes.

I'm not defending Dragon Ball Evolution, but I welcome the differences it made. Hell, the new concept for Goku to become Oozaru in the movie is much better than Goku simply looking at the Moon. It makes the transformation more unique and mystique, and not just some random thing based on the werewolf myth.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 am

I haven't seen the movie but the biggest one isn't in the movie itself but behind the scenes; cutting down its budget to nothing. If they didn't fully believe in the project then they shouldn't have given it the OK to start with.

Another major one is ignoaring Toriyama's advice, sure it may not have completely saved the movie but surely it would've improved it somewhat.

The last one is moving so far away from the source material, yeah it would've been hard to truly follow it but completely dropping wasn't a good way around it.

What it seems like from behind the scenes is that whoever on the top didn't really want to make a DB movie but instead just capitalize on its name which clearly blew up in his/her face.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 am

I honestly think that the biggest thing wrong with Dragon Ball Evolution was the insanely terrible acting, CGI, and costumes. Basically no matter how accurate, or even good, the script could have been, it was executed so terribly. It just looked very unappealing. The world that was created in that movie looked almost post-apocalyptic and between the costumes, the hair, and Oozaru, it just grated my eyes. Even if everything "wrong" with the script was corrected, I'd still think it was a horrendous movie.

With that said, I don't care that they changed anything. If it was the same exact story, there wouldn't really be any point in doing it, right? You can't fit more than one arc of Dragon Ball into a movie at a time and expect anything great out of it. Even on arc -- short of the first arc I suppose -- would be way rushed in a two-hour format.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 pm

I think the biggest problems with Evolution wasn't so much that it made changes, but it made those changes with the intention of creating a film less like its source material and more like a cheap imitation of better movies that people liked. In other words, the changes were made to keep the movie "safe." The most prominent example is Goku's entire character - he goes to high school, he wants to get the girl, he's bullied all the time. It's kinda clear that he's just a worse version of Peter Parker. Other characters are similarly changed for the worse. Bulma feels like a wannabe Lara Croft, Yamcha is... the wisecracking comedy relief? If you could call him that?

It's no surprise that the only characters that the film kinda get right (Roshi and Piccolo) are the ones closest to their anime/manga counterparts. Roshi is a goofy martial arts master with a slightly pervy side (toned down in the film, but I think that's fine). Piccolo is a stoic badass who wants revenge on the human race. While Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo Jr. were a bit more of the loud and cackling types of villains, I think that the film's Piccolo at least captured the more calm and cool Piccolo of the Z-era, and working that into his villainous side actually works pretty well if you ask me. Marsters' performance is also pretty good considering how little the script gives him. Best part of the movie, hands down, and I can't wait to hear him as Zamasu in Super's dub.

I don't mind certain changes. Combining the first hunt for the Dragon Balls with the Piccolo arcs while having hints of martial arts tournaments to establish that they're a thing in this world is a fine way to consolidate things for a movie. I would personally take more time with the pre-Z material; I could probably think of basic plot treatments for 3 to 5 movies - can't say how good they'd be, but I have mulled over some ideas. But hey, I know Z's the popular thing so I won't pretend I don't get why the decision was made, and at least it had an okay skeleton of a plot. It was the garbage that tried to turn DB something it's not that really brought it down, such as the character changes I mentioned, the pseudo-Matrix fighting effects, and the transformation of Ki into airbending. This film hardly makes the effort to feel like Dragon Ball, exchanging the franchise's unique brand of action and comedy for half-baked tropes that rip off much better movies and aren't executed all that well. The end result is a mishmash of vaguely Dragon Ball things mixed with the worst bits of popular media at the time that quite frankly doesn't know what the fuck it wants to be.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Dragon Ball Evolution is a bad movie in general. If you take away the Dragon Ball name and rename everyone else, it's still a bad movie. I do think how Piccolo being free without being explain or shown in the movie makes no sense. How did he came back if he was lock away for so long. Fans can assume that Mai had something to do with it, but the movie never told us that. Not to mention Mai in the movie has no personality to her and she is jut another evil henchmen character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:03 pm

sintzu wrote:I haven't seen the movie but the biggest one isn't in the movie itself but behind the scenes; cutting down its budget to nothing. If they didn't fully believe in the project then they shouldn't have given it the OK to start with.

Another major one is ignoaring Toriyama's advice, sure it may not have completely saved the movie but surely it would've improved it somewhat.

The last one is moving so far away from the source material, yeah it would've been hard to truly follow it but completely dropping wasn't a good way around it.

What it seems like from behind the scenes is that whoever on the top didn't really want to make a DB movie but instead just capitalize on its name which clearly blew up in his/her face.
Then why are you posting here?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Well I only made the list to show the differences but ultimately there's so many differences that the overall movie just is not dragon ball despite the title and character names.

I understand making some movie changes but it's usually little changes keeping The base of the show and the original concepts the same.

For example;

- goku can't turn into oozaru without a tail.
- the kamehameha is not a airbending technique
- Yamcha is a good fighter

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

The tail was a conscious choice and obvious easy change to not make it 100% ridiculous in live action, particularly with the actors and budget they had.

Ki attacks have literally been used the same way in Super now.

Yamcha is a perfectly competent and talented fighter with tremendous power.

Things you don't like don't make them "wrong". In the sense that they were changed from the source material? Sure. Lots of wasted opportunities? I absolutely agree. If you're looking to make a list of changes, sure, that will indeed absolutely be a list of changes. Despite what even I may have written in the last, I caution against labeling it as "wrong", though.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 pm

I personally think all the changes combined count as one big wrong. Yes adaptations need changes , but when you change so much it's barely recognizable you've gone too far and are obviously trying to run of name recognition.

It would be like making a Poirot movie in the style of Austin Powers. Sure there's nothing "wrong", but what's the point?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm

I don't think it's unrecognizable as Dragon Ball at all.

Of course, my view is that Evolution's worst offense is how plain and middle of the road and safe everything about it is.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Other then the names of the characters, and the Dragon Balls themselves, they pretty much took nothing from the actual source material, and instead stole from just about everything else.

Even Avatar the Last Airbender (calling the Kamehameha "Airbending" for crying out loud).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Even Avatar the Last Airbender (calling the Kamehameha "Airbending" for crying out loud).
The Last Airbender was released in 2010, one year after Dragon Ball Evolution though. Unless the director was a fan of the cartoon Avatar?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 am

Grimlock wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:Even Avatar the Last Airbender (calling the Kamehameha "Airbending" for crying out loud).
The Last Airbender was released in 2010, one year after Dragon Ball Evolution though. Unless the director was a fan of the cartoon Avatar?
I was referring to the animated series, hence the name "Avatar the Last Airbender".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Then why are you posting here?
Because I've seen a good amount of it in reviews and read a lot about it so I think that's enough to say what went wrong with it.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:11 am

Jackalope89 wrote:Other then the names of the characters, and the Dragon Balls themselves, they pretty much took nothing from the actual source material, and instead stole from just about everything else.

Even Avatar the Last Airbender (calling the Kamehameha "Airbending" for crying out loud).
Lol it reminded me of karate kid the most, although the bullies were no challenge for goku. Mr miyagi is grandpa gohan.
VegettoEX wrote:
Ki attacks have literally been used the same way in Super now.

Yamcha is a perfectly competent and talented fighter with tremendous power.

Things you don't like don't make them "wrong". In the sense that they were changed from the source material? Sure. Lots of wasted opportunities? I absolutely agree. If you're looking to make a list of changes, sure, that will indeed absolutely be a list of changes. Despite what even I may have written in the last, I caution against labeling it as "wrong", though.
Yamcha literally didn't fight the whole movie and even bulma threw him a gun when he decided to fight. Didn't portray him as a martial artist in the slightest. So now you have a 'Casey jones' sidekick of the ninja turtles as Yamcha.

I wasn't calling them wrong from my opinion, I was calling them wrong in comparison to the dragon ball story. I'm happy to accept my list as changes from the original.
But making so many changes from the original takes away everything that I've liked about dragon ball and doesn't have the same feel at all, to the extent of not calling it a dragon ball movie... Gokus character was off big time, the only thing making him goku was his name, his family and his role fighting piccolo.

So I guess the question is... How many changes can you make to something and still base it on the original?

For eg; I make a ninja turtles movie, these ninja turtles live under a rock at the beach. One of the ninja turtles, Michelangelo, loooovveesss eating noodles and rides a scooter. There's an evil person shredder who wants to take over the world, he had a fall out with splinter in the past because shredder was jealous that he got to marry the girl of his dreams. They have a friend named April who they've known since they were kids, she met them at the beach and they have been friends ever since.

You'll have to know ninja turtles to understand my example but basically I have changed everything about them except for their names, the fact they are ninjas, and their enemy... So does it still make it ninja turtles because I've kept ninja turtles in it? For me, no. But of course it's up to opinion and if they want to reinvent the show and the story.

EDIT: hmmm i didnt really want to turn this into a opinion thread. just wanted to list the differences from the original... guess its too late.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 am

Jackalope89 wrote:Other then the names of the characters, and the Dragon Balls themselves, they pretty much took nothing from the actual source material, and instead stole from just about everything else.
I think that Evolution is putrid dog vomit of the first order... but this is EXTREMELY wrong. The movie has a fairly great deal of elements from the series: the Mafuba, Nyoi-Bo, Bulma as a genius inventor at Capsule Corp, Capsule vehicles, Kamehameha, Dragon Radar, Son Gohan finding and raising an orphaned space baby as Goku, Son Gohan training Goku before dying, Muten Roshi as a perv, Oozaru, Goku's connection to Shuushinchuu, Piccolo Daimao's airship, Goku's appetite, Kame Dogi, Piccolo spawning demonic minions to go after the heroes, Yamucha robbing Goku and Bulma out in the desert, and so on and so on...

Now absolutely none of these elements are in any which way executed or used well. Like, AT ALL. But they're without question elements taken more or less directly from the series that are present and accounted for within the film.

Please, for god's sake, don't put me in the position of actually having to DEFEND this fucking godforsaken shitpile of a movie. Rag on Evolution all you like, it more than deserves and warrants it; but rip into it for shit it actually is guilty of doing poorly. There's no end to that list and it hardly needs any further embellishing.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 am

I didn't feel like the Oozaru storyline or the main fight was climatic enough. Also I would have liked more development for the villains.

To be honest though, I might actually take this film over some of the animated DBZ movies. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.