Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 am

With the release of Dragon Ball Super, I've ran into a lot of people that seem to really dislike Super Saiyan 4 which honestly surprised me because I think the design is pretty good and the conception is spot-on. Harnessing the power of a Great Ape and combining that with Super Saiyan to unlock a new slender form is really a great idea.

What are your thoughts?

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you like Super Saiyan 4?

Post by Majin Jator » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 am

That's one of the cool things about such an international forum like this, how it drags you out of your echo chamber. Before joining Kanzenshuu I hadn't met anyone who liked Super Saiyan 4. Back in the day, when anime magazines showed us what this new GT series was about, just the design was seen as "jumping the shark". I certainly thought -and still do- that it looks hideous.

I agree that the idea of tying it with the Great Ape is spot-on, and fits GT's nostalgic vibe. But the pink fur, the eyeliner, and how baroque the whole design feels....really, I can't see the appeal.

PD: Gogeta looks better thanks to a much nicer color-scheme, but not enough to sell me the concept.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 am

It's unique and totally different from anything else so I like it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:31 am

I think it's one of the best forms and easily the best thing to come out of GT.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 am

sintzu wrote:I think it's one of the best forms and easily the best thing to come out of GT.
pretty much
My English is poor .

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 am

I think it's great. It looks like an actual transformation instead of just spikier hair or a color swap.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 am

I remember being hyped as hell when 1st got to know how SSJ4 is TOTAL opposite of Golden Haired SSJ3.

I felt the design was raw. Which I think suits the animalistic approach Golden Oozaru + SSJ state beyond an already Oozaru-esque SSJ3 form

But its treatment was utter trash.

Like for real? SSJ4 was beaten brutally practically by every Boss Baddie of Each Arc. Baby, Super 17, Shenrons

At least SSJ was formidable till Androids/Cell popped

SSJ2 was king till Majin Boo showed-up

Omega Shenron bullied SSJ4 Goku & Vegeta like Brock Lesnar German Suplexing jobbers in WWE

Dat treatment made the form look pale, and eventually makes me feel there's nothing special with the form. In short, SSJ4 is impressive mere aesthetically

But definelty better than Goddo/Goat, Bluper/Ultra Instinct crap we've had last couple of years

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 am

Concept and idea of this transformation is good execution and aesthetic of said idea is debatable.

In my idea I would have made the Super Saiyan 4 like a biological evolution of the Saiyan like a higher form of the Saiyan which stay permanent.

Thus allowing the Saiyan to stack a Super Saiyan transformation to it.

For the furr that would have been a dark brown furr with red crimson accent, I would have keep the borderline of the eyes red and the eyes would have been red too. then when Super Saiyan is stack to it, the furr become golden and the iris turn to turquoise with red pupil.

Perhaps also add more pointy hear but not sure of that myself.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 am

The hair and eyes are ok, the color and the fur on the body is dumb, as well as the magic pants.

If fans want transformations so bad just bring back Ozaru one more time. Have Vegeta become Blue Ozaru as a means to catch up to Goku's Ultra Instinct.

Otherwise, hair color changes is enough to signify the character getting stronger, like the ki is doing it.

I want to see the character's getting stronger as more natural looking skilled fighters, you know, kinda like martial artists?

Goku and Vegeta not looking like themselves just to get stronger is fucking stupid, Toriyama learned his lesson after SSJ3.

Save total body change gimmicks for certain villains.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes. It's a very unique and inventive transformation, and it's a fun way of calling back to the fact that Saiyans are essentially apes/monkeys.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Kokonoe wrote:With the release of Dragon Ball Super, I've ran into a lot of people that seem to really dislike Super Saiyan 4 which honestly surprised me because I think the design is pretty good and the conception is spot-on. Harnessing the power of a Great Ape and combining that with Super Saiyan to unlock a new slender form is really a great idea.

What are your thoughts?
I love SSJ4. It's by far my favorite form.
Plus I've kind of developed the theory that SSJ4 is the true form of the original Super Saiyan. It was influenced from a dub lime but I don't care, the visuals sure imply the same thing.

Vegeta said the original SSj could only maintain the form as an Oozaru (Golden Great Ape) but couldnt control it and the power was too massive so he self-destructed. SSJ4 is the form you get when you succesfully control that Ape form.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Would have preferred to stick with the golden oozaru as the ultimate saiyan transformation, or if anything for the SSJ4 make the fur either brown or gold to fit with the other ssj transformations. And maybe even give it a different name like super saiyan primal because at the end of the day saiyans are space monkey cave people.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Kokonoe wrote:With the release of Dragon Ball Super, I've ran into a lot of people that seem to really dislike Super Saiyan 4
Can't say I've seen this. Most people I see like SSJ4 a lot, even if they hate GT. It seems the majority of people also prefer SSJ4 to SSB (at least, every single time I've seen that question asked literally anywhere and everywhere the response is almost always overwhelmingly SSJ4. Not much of a surprise given SSB is just a lazy recolor). On this website alone I've seen quite a few threads already asking for people's opinions of SSJ4, and most people are pretty positive about it, just like in this thread.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

I like it, but that's about as far as it goes. The concept of going back to the roots of the Saiyans is amazing, but the design (while I think the fur has a nice color and the eyes look cool) all-in-all feels very overdone. It just looks too different to me, I guess. For what it's worth, I love simpler designs like Super Saiyan Blue.

On that note, it's funny that Blue is always chalked up to "laziness" for being a "recolor", yet the original SSJ forms, which are hardly any better, get a free pass because of... reasons.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:On that note, it's funny that Blue is always chalked up to "laziness" for being a "recolor", yet the original SSJ forms, which are hardly any better, get a free pass because of... reasons.
And how are the original SSJ forms recolors?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Asura wrote:And how are the original SSJ forms recolors?
Super Saiyan: The hair literally turns gold and sometimes spikes up (only on Gokū's hairstyle).
Super Saiyan 2: Adds electricity to SSJ (with a slightly different hairstyle on Gokū and entirely different on Cell arc Gohan).
Super Saiyan 3: Has longer hair than SSJ2.

Don't get me wrong - I still love the Super Saiyan forms. I just can't get behind the unoriginality complaints towards the recent forms when the older ones aren't much more "original".
MyAnimeList | AniList

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

It's okay. I'd like it better if they all had Gogeta's colors. Dark brown fur, red hair. The reddish-pink fur is...ehhh.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Asura wrote:And how are the original SSJ forms recolors?
Super Saiyan: The hair literally turns gold and sometimes spikes up (only on Gokū's hairstyle).
Super Saiyan 2: Adds electricity to SSJ (with a slightly different hairstyle on Gokū and entirely different on Cell arc Gohan).
Super Saiyan 3: Has longer hair than SSJ2.

Don't get me wrong - I still love the Super Saiyan forms. I just can't get behind the unoriginality complaints towards the recent forms when the older ones aren't much more "original".
Right, so none of them are recolors. Super Saiyan makes everyone looks different beyond a color swap except for Vegeta. Reducing the SSJ3 transformation to "longer hair than SSJ2" is like saying SSJ4 is "hairier than SSJ3". While technically correct, that's grossly oversimplifying it and glossing over the details. Each form is different. Even SSJ2 makes characters have noticeably spikier hair in addition to a hairstyle change on some of them. SSB is literally just taking SSJ and swapping the gold with blue.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Asura wrote:Right, so none of them are recolors. Super Saiyan makes everyone looks different beyond a color swap except for Vegeta.
I didn't say they were all recolors to begin with, just Super Saiyan. The hair barely spikes up for most of the users: Gohan, Cabba, and Caulifla all retain virtually the same hairstyle. Only Gokū and Trunks (who slipped my mind before) have distinct hairstyles in SSJ. (Sorry if I'm missing someone here)
Reducing the SSJ3 transformation to "longer hair than SSJ2" is like saying SSJ4 is "hairier than SSJ3". While technically correct, that's grossly oversimplifying it and glossing over the details. Each form is different. Even SSJ2 makes characters have noticeably spikier hair in addition to a hairstyle change on some of them.
Fair enough, I concede this. However...
SSB is literally just taking SSJ and swapping the gold with blue.
If Super Saiyan God retains the base form's hairstyle, it only makes sense for the Super Saiyan form of SSJG to retain the normal SSJ hairstyle, does it not? I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that Blue's simplicity isn't really a bad thing especially considering how relatively simple the original SSJ is.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 pm

I like SSJ4. Always been my favorite transformation, and I had hoped it would be the God Form in Super when I first heard about it. To this day, I hope to see it implemented in say, the Xenoverse games as a viable transformation. Its unique, and would have been a cool, U7 only transformation. If any of the U7 Saiyans still had tails, that is.