Pirating Dragon Ball (discussion)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Pirating Dragon Ball (discussion)

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm

We all know that pirating movies, music, anime, etc is illegal and just bad. You're essentially stealing someone else's product. And it certainly isn't tolorated here on Kanzenshuu. But what if a product isn't available legally in your country? Does that make it somewhat justifiable to pirated it? And what if it never will be available legally to you?

Before Super was available on Crunchyroll/Daisuki, everyone outside of Japan was watching it illegally. So it's not like we haven't done it before. I'm pretty sure we've all done it at one point in our lifes. It seems to be that pirating is justifiable when there's no other option available to you. Like it is somewhat, kinda, okayish. But if there is a legal way to watch/buy, then it's not okay in any way. Isn't that kinda hypocrite? Shouldn't it be, it's always bad or it's always good?

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Is pirating (Dragon Ball) always bad?
Is it sometimes okay? Do you do it yourself?

I not for or necessarily against pirating. Personally, I try to always buy the official release. But I do sometimes use other measures to access Dragon Ball related content when there is no other option available.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Pirating Dragon Ball (discussion)

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 pm

I actually used to (and still) watch many animes illegally due to it not being available in my country or even outside of japan

but i buy the dvds/Bluerays as soon as they become available

i 100 % know that piracy is bad thing , but some time you just have to pirate things when you can't get them in a legal way .
My English is poor .

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Bajosexto wrote: What are your thoughts on the matter?
Is pirating (Dragon Ball) always bad?
Is it sometimes okay?
Do you do it yourself?
It'll always happen as long as the internet is around but it'll be a lot less when things are released officially and in a timely manner.

Pirating is just another word for stealing so of course it's bad but I wouldn't put it on the same level as stealing a car or holding an armed robbery.

If you're the one doing it then no but if you just watch what someone else posted online then most of the blame is on them as they're the ones who made it available.

I've never posted anything online but I've watched things on youtube and other popular sites before they were available for purchase.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm

i have buyed the french dragon box but compression, color and audios sucks so like Toei don't care about releasing remastered color corrected version with clean audios then the only way is piracy ,
in my country it's the same with some tv series , you can't buy them, you can't watch them by legal way only because someone choose to didn't release them
when you see funimation work on the season sets, orange brick etc i can understand why people turn to piracy

when companies will understand that it's their role to attract people buying their release for the quality of them instead of just hunting pirated stuff they will improve a lot their selling...
people that never buyed release will never buyed them but when you want to buy something and can download something 100x times better there is a problem

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Before Super was available on Crunchyroll/Daisuki, everyone outside of Japan was watching it illegally.
No, I know some people didn't watch Super before it became legally available.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 pm

sangofe wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Before Super was available on Crunchyroll/Daisuki, everyone outside of Japan was watching it illegally.
No, I know some people didn't watch Super before it became legally available.
Your right. What I meant is that a lot of people did. Not necessarily everyone. Should've worded differently.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:06 pm

I know that Funimation wanted Dragon Ball Super from the moment they learned about it. They were also totally on board to simulcast the series from the beginning the way they are now. While I was paying for the same anime streaming services back then as I am now (so the money isn't really different at all), I was definitely watching pirated uploads of Dragon Ball Super once they got past the Resurrection 'F' Arc.

I would've never had to pirate it in the first place if it weren't for Toei dragging their feet on the matter. It doesn't excuse the fact that I watched fansubs, but it does explain it and I think the explanation is reasonable.

Back in the 2000s when the only thing you had was the Orange Bricks, I initially bought pirated DVDs of DBZ. Then, I learned how to import from Amazon and started importing the Dragon Box singles. I also filled in some gaps with the old Funi DBZ singles. So, I guess history repeats itself as I started out pirating and then moved into a more legit method.

Oh! I also used a program on my computer to watch FujiTV broadcasts of Kai back when it was first on TV in Japan! That, and I downloaded fansubs and put them on my PSP to watch on the go. So, I guess I was pirating there, too, until an official release happened.

I think the only thing I've never actually pirated is the manga. For the most part, the manga fan scans are garbage and are usually translated to sound a lot more "adult" than what's actually intended.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I initially had pirated rips of the Blue Bricks and broadcasts of Z Kai for a while, but then bought the real things later on when Funimation had a sale two years ago.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 am

Buy art you enjoy.

Piracy is sometimes a necessity to keep media in circulation, and in Dragon Ball's case there are a few times I've supplemented my collection with versions that hadn't yet/have never made it to home media, but I own at least one official copy first.

I was pirating Super before VIz and Crunchyroll started their releases, but now there's no reason for that.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 am

I have no choice. I have to pirate Super episodes. None of the Streaming sites are available in my country. I even tweeted funimation about that and they said they have no plans to launch FunimationNow here. I directly told them that they are losing money because of piracy...

I refuse to use a VPN.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 am

Professor Freeza wrote:I refuse to use a VPN.
Any particular reasons why? They've been a life-saver for me as I access American streaming services, some of which I pay for, overseas.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 am

I buy the products but it's only for the collection, it's usually more convenient for me to stream it lol

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

Cipher wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:I refuse to use a VPN.
Any particular reasons why? They've been a life-saver for me as I access American streaming services, some of which I pay for, overseas.
I dont want to pay for a VPN just to see Dragon Ball. Paying for a streaming service is ok. VPN isnt.

Like i told FUnimation. You guys are losing money. Your loss.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

@Professor Freeza

You know mate some VPNs are free lol

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

I hate to say this but I'm with Professor Frieza, fuck Funimation for not bringing their anime to other countries.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:56 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:@Professor Freeza

You know mate some VPNs are free lol
I dont like those. I hate the "waiting"

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am

You know, there's probably a lot more to it than just deciding to release their streaming service or physical products internationally. I'm sure if it were up to them and it was so easy, they'd be released worldwide -- I mean, why not? Probably more to it than just deciding to expand and then doing it.

I understand pirating when there's no real reasonable alternative. In fact, on the flip side (in regard to those who are illegally uploading), two defenses have to do with the product's availability and wherever the copyright would essentially affect the copyright holder's business -- all around, that wouldn't be the case. So, I get it.

My issue is when people smuggily proclaim that they pirate the series when it's readily available to them. In another forum, they are so proud and think that buying it is dumb, which would make many of us on this site, dumb for spending all of that money for the series. To justify that, they go into how they go to the extreme about how maybe they don't have enough money to eat (to which I'd airways say that then they have way more important things on their plate than paying for high speed internet).

Anyway, I can't ever complain about approve pirating that which isn't so readily available to them. Among my collection exist bootlegs of the entire Mexican dub, the undubbed TV specials, and the Blue Water and Westwood dubs -- all of which are either ridiculously rare, incomplete, or a release never even saw the light of day.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:You know, there's probably a lot more to it than just deciding to release their streaming service or physical products internationally. I'm sure if it were up to them and it was so easy, they'd be released worldwide -- I mean, why not? Probably more to it than just deciding to expand and then doing it.

I understand pirating when there's no real reasonable alternative. In fact, on the flip side (in regard to those who are illegally uploading), two defenses have to do with the product's availability and wherever the copyright would essentially affect the copyright holder's business -- all around, that wouldn't be the case. So, I get it.

My issue is when people smuggily proclaim that they pirate the series when it's readily available to them. In another forum, they are so proud and think that buying it is dumb, which would make many of us on this site, dumb for spending all of that money for the series. To justify that, they go into how they go to the extreme about how maybe they don't have enough money to eat (to which I'd airways say that then they have way more important things on their plate than paying for high speed internet).

Anyway, I can't ever complain about approve pirating that which isn't so readily available to them. Among my collection exist bootlegs of the entire Mexican dub, the undubbed TV specials, and the Blue Water and Westwood dubs -- all of which are either ridiculously rare, incomplete, or a release never even saw the light of day.
Some of us dont have that much money though. I mean one subscription to FUnimation Now gives me the Sub and later the Dub. I cant add VPN money on top of that. Just not possible. I believe that if you dont actively expand to a country, you dont have a moral right to complain about Piracy. Legal right yes, moral no.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 am

Professor Freeza wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:You know, there's probably a lot more to it than just deciding to release their streaming service or physical products internationally. I'm sure if it were up to them and it was so easy, they'd be released worldwide -- I mean, why not? Probably more to it than just deciding to expand and then doing it.

[/spoiler]

Some of us dont have that much money though. I mean one subscription to FUnimation Now gives me the Sub and later the Dub. I cant add VPN money on top of that. Just not possible. I believe that if you dont actively expand to a country, you dont have a moral right to complain about Piracy. Legal right yes, moral no.
I completely agree with you, as demonstrated in the first part of my post. I am not suggesting for you to get a VPN either. All I said was that it probably takes more than a wish to expand a streaming service into other countries. With that said, damn right you have a point. But then on the flip side, they really don't hold any obligation to spread their product in that way. So, it's muddy waters, but honestly, I think you are justified. Maybe but legally, and I don't know about morally, but it's certainly understandable.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I'd gladly get Funimation subscription if only for one month if they would just use dragon box footage in their online streaming, but of course that's never going to happen. :evil:

For the most part Anime is incredibly overpriced to buy a physical copy(Only own two series), which is my I mostly buy manga(get more bang for your buck), but I do plan on buying the entire DB manga soon to hopefully make up for the pirating I've done in the past. :angel:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu