DB in live action: what does and does not work (pics)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

DB in live action: what does and does not work (pics)

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Thought this could be fun, I encourage anyone with there own fan art to post some ideas.

Let's post pictures of any cosplay/photoshops/art of Toriyama's DB world and characters that we come across, and give examples of what works and what doesn't.

I'll go first with Vegeta's hair do: Image

Ignore the costumes, just focus on the hair, I dig it. I think something close to that would be how to translate his hair.

Then there's trying to look to much like the original drawn style: Image

It doesin't work very well.

MR.Mark

Re: DB in live action: what does and does not work (pics)

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 am

Here's a pretty good design for Super Buu, though I'd make his eyes red: Image

Then there's trying to hard with detail and evilness factor: Image

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Found some fanart for Freeza that I thought had the building blocks for the right idea: Image

Then I made some tweaks into what I could see as a live action Freeza: Image

Also tweaked Super Buu: Image

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 pm

I always really thought this looked great for a live action mock up.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I've posted this before, but it's worth seeing it again. This can work as a live-action Cell.

Credit: Takao Shigeyama http://takaoshigeyama.blogspot.com/2015 ... rt_21.html
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Bullza wrote:I always really thought this looked great for a live action mock up.

Hair is pretty cool, Goku looks like Liono though. :shock:

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I've posted this before, but it's worth seeing it again. This can work as a live-action Cell.

That looks rather ugly for what is supposed to be his Perfect form. I'm gonna try and do a mock up soon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:59 pm

To me, none of it works, to be honest. I know these pictures aren't done up using Hollywood CG, but I think it all looks super hokey. All of the villains would end up looking like Ivan Ooze's cousins and the Saiyans' hair would make them look silly. I just don't think that Dragon Ball can translate into live action. The attacks, power-up, and fighting sequences can be incredible, but the characters would look silly.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:To me, none of it works, to be honest. I know these pictures aren't done up using Hollywood CG, but I think it all looks super hokey. All of the villains would end up looking like Ivan Ooze's cousins and the Saiyans' hair would make them look silly. I just don't think that Dragon Ball can translate into live action. The attacks, power-up, and fighting sequences can be incredible, but the characters would look silly.
If there's any movie that proves they could make it work it's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Humans, Aliens, Talking Animals, Trees, Robots, Magical artifacts of power, Other World's, Space Ships, Monsters etc.

All things Dragon Ball has.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Bullza wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:To me, none of it works, to be honest. I know these pictures aren't done up using Hollywood CG, but I think it all looks super hokey. All of the villains would end up looking like Ivan Ooze's cousins and the Saiyans' hair would make them look silly. I just don't think that Dragon Ball can translate into live action. The attacks, power-up, and fighting sequences can be incredible, but the characters would look silly.
If there's any movie that proves they could make it work it's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Humans, Aliens, Talking Animals, Trees, Robots, Magical artifacts of power, Other World's, Space Ships, Monsters etc.

You don't think that Thanos looks hokey? And man, when that CG hits, it just punches you in the face. See, sure, Guardians of the Galaxy had a lot of effects, but the majority of them were color changes and minor alterations to normal-looking people. But, I mean look at Pilaf, Freeza, Cell, or Majin Boo. I can't picture a scenario where they don't look goofy. I can't picture a scenario where Goku and Vegeta's hair doesn't look laughable. It's a problem that I had with Wolverine's hair for every X-Men movie except Origins (ironically enough) -- that it looked gelled. I'm sure that like Wolverine, Goku and Vegeta would not be sitting there gelling their hair to look that silly. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I don't see it. And none of the pictures so far are really convincing me of anything different.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:You don't think that Thanos looks hokey? And man, when that CG hits, it just punches you in the face. See, sure, Guardians of the Galaxy had a lot of effects, but the majority of them were color changes and minor alterations to normal-looking people. But, I mean look at Pilaf, Freeza, Cell, or Majin Boo. I can't picture a scenario where they don't look goofy. I can't picture a scenario where Goku and Vegeta's hair doesn't look laughable. It's a problem that I had with Wolverine's hair for every X-Men movie except Origins (ironically enough) -- that it looked gelled. I'm sure that like Wolverine, Goku and Vegeta would not be sitting there gelling their hair to look that silly. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I don't see it. And none of the pictures so far are really convincing me of anything different.
Thanos?

He looks fine to me. Guardians of the Galaxy was in 2014 so by the time a Dragon Ball movie even got around the CGI would be much better anyway.

It's true a lot of the aliens in that movie were just humans with make up, Drax, Gamora, Yondu, Ronan etc but a lot of that would be the case with Dragon Ball as well like Piccolo, Zarbon and Ginyu.

I don't see why Frieza and Cell (depending on the form) couldn't be make up actually except for the tail. Pilaf or Buu, I don't think would be any worse than what other movies have done, I'd just skip Pilaf anyway.

The hair would be hard to do because that could look very silly but they couldn't really change some thing like that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Bullza wrote:

You don't think that Thanos looks hokey? And man, when that CG hits, it just punches you in the face. See, sure, Guardians of the Galaxy had a lot of effects, but the majority of them were color changes and minor alterations to normal-looking people. But, I mean look at Pilaf, Freeza, Cell, or Majin Boo. I can't picture a scenario where they don't look goofy. I can't picture a scenario where Goku and Vegeta's hair doesn't look laughable. It's a problem that I had with Wolverine's hair for every X-Men movie except Origins (ironically enough) -- that it looked gelled. I'm sure that like Wolverine, Goku and Vegeta would not be sitting there gelling their hair to look that silly. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I don't see it. And none of the pictures so far are really convincing me of anything different.
But it's all BS. I think Thanos looks great. No matter how photo real anything looks, we know it's all BS. While there are aliens that are just people wearing prosthetics or are simply painted another color, I know it is just humans wearing prosthetics or have been airbrushed. None of this means I'm in favor of a live action film, but just giving another perspective.
I'd just skip Pilaf anyway.
How dare you, sir!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

If anyone is of the opinion that none of it works, that's fine, but that's not what this topic is about, so you're free to go elsewhere. :wave:

Anyway, I threw together a live action concept Perfect Cell: Image
Bullza wrote:

Agreed, today's audiences are ready for WELL DONE live action DB.
MR.Mark wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:I've posted this before, but it's worth seeing it again. This can work as a live-action Cell.

Talk about a before and after, the face really threw me off aswell as the over segmented bumpy textures.

VS what i did: Image

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm

If anyone is of the opinion that none of it works, that's fine, but that's not what this topic is about
The topic is called "what does and does not work"!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:35 pm

ABED wrote:
If anyone is of the opinion that none of it works, that's fine, but that's not what this topic is about
The topic is called "what does and does not work"!
Yeah, not what does not work, period, notice the difference?

Back on topic, do you like my Cell? :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:41 pm

If none of it works, how is that not on topic?

This is all interesting to look at, but doesn't mean it works in live action, and that's fine.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:47 pm

ABED wrote:If none of it works, how is that not on topic?
Because coming into the topic just to say none of it works does not contribute anything. This is about finding what works while ALSO discussing/showing what does not. Get it now?

It's all opinion at the end of the day, including yours , and if you don't think it works, then don't contribute, period.

Go start an argument with someone else, bye. :wave:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:50 pm

I get it. You basically want a topic where people post pictures of possible love action stuff. Noted.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Not exactly, I want constructive criticism of what can and can't work using pics and opinions.

If I wanted a topic called why live action DB wouldn't work period, I would of made it. However there's many fans, including me, that feel it can work in this day and age.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm not saying this to be insulting. At the end of the day those renderings aren't CG animation, it's just more "realistic" drawings. The fundamental issue isn't even the visual aspect, it's the writing. Toriyama IS Dragon Ball.

Saying that none of it works IS constructive criticism. Man of Steel wouldn't be a go to example of how fights can be done well. I don't even hate the movie, but that fight doesn't come close to the great fights in DB.