Net Neutrality is gone. How does that affect DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Net Neutrality is gone. How does that affect DragonBall?

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
sintzu wrote:Alongside WA, these are the states fighting against this :

California
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Kentucky
Maine
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Oregon
Vermont
Maryland too. I did talk to the Congress Men near by me and they support free Internet. While the FCC voted, it will be several months before their Office of Management and Budget approves it, until then, the current rules remain in place. In the meantime, Congress can still overturn the vote with a majority. So, start e-mailing and calling your Congressmen and Women!
Where can we go to do this?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:As far as I know, all of the aforementioned examples are possibilities, but not a given. I could be wrong, it's surprising how far out of my way I have to go to actually get real news on the subject instead of people on Facebook chatting about it. My regular news feeds that I use brush over the subject in broad strokes, so I could be ill-informed.

That doesn't mean that any of that will come to fruition. However, the problem is that it can, and that's just horrible. From my understanding, the internet moved from under the FCC and now put under the FTC, moving it from a "communication" to a "consumer product." So under the FTC, they have to inform us of all of the things that they are blocking us from. So hooray, I'll get a pop-up that says, "We no like that."

In the end, this is just another way for giant companies and their insanely rich investors, to control what we see on a daily basis.

It is not guaranteed that it would affect Dragon Ball in terms of being able to stream Crunchyroll or Funimation, but it can, which is already a scary thought. There's action looking to change this already, but as it stands now, it's another push to limit the common, everyday person. It's just amazing to see how virtually everyone is against it (from the looks of things) and it still managed to get by -- albeit by split decision. What's more interesting is the political spin that it got just like everything else. We all see it as a horrible thing and yet, FCC chairman Ajit Pai is saying how great this is for everyone. I fail to see the positives, but okay.

New York attorney general, Mr. Schneiderman, is looking to battle this outcome, and that's not the only backlash from this decision. So, we'll see how this gets pushed forward. Thankfully, we won't go gently into the good night.

I can see the rationale: we are using the ISPs, so kind of like any compay, they should be able to dictate how their product is shared. But, because the internet is such an integral part of our lives, it's outgrown that "I make the calls on what I wanna do!" phase.

If I got any of that wrong, or do not fully understand something, I'd be more than happy to be further informed and educated on the subject.
But, I don't understand why does politics have to control the Internet. This isn't something that is needed at all. I have no idea what's going on now.
Majinwarman

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

majinwarman wrote: Where can we go to do this?
This should help you when it comes to calling your congressmen?

https://www.callmycongress.com/
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Where can we go to do this?
This should help you when it comes to calling your congressmen?

https://www.callmycongress.com/
Thanks my friend!
Majinwarman

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

It's amazing how conservatives has tricked its base into thinking the 'free market' is a god and that it's actually a good thing to have no laws or enforcement agencies to insure that the powerful do not make prey of the weak. Today has seen two major defeats for the actual free market, all in the name of giving more freedoms and money to the mega rich. So disgusting. I hope this repeal gets shot down. Fast.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 pm

This fear mongering isn’t helping anyone. It still has to pass in court and it’s already failed TWICE in court in the past.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:This fear mongering isn’t helping anyone. It still has to pass in court and it’s already failed TWICE in court in the past.
Let's not get complacent here. Fucking call and call again. And then fucking call again the next time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 pm

I wonder if this will kill off all fansites in general, like this one, over time.

For example the rise of social media really killed off activity on traditional boards/forums like this one. All the message boards, including all the big gaming ones like IGN, etc...are no longer as active as they were in the early/mid 2000's. The young teens of today just use twitter, tumblr, and other social media website instead of coming to fansites anymore. Forums are becoming obsolete, they're like VHS tapes in the early 2000's.

I think it was around 2009-2010 or so that social media began taking over and forums started dying off in activity. If this deal goes through, how many people would be willing to pay a fee to visit a fansite over using twitter, tumblr, facebook, etc?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

It looks like the ACLU is also pushing back against this. They have a petition you can sign here.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:This fear mongering isn’t helping anyone. It still has to pass in court and it’s already failed TWICE in court in the past.
Let's not get complacent here. Fucking call and call again. And then fucking call again the next time.
Oh absolutely; I'm not saying that it's over yet. I mainly meant in regards to all the posts I've been seeing (not just on here) that "it's dead we're doomed it's all over" type of posts aren't helping.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Calm down dude. Jesus...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Net Neutrality IS GONE!? WHAT!? Did it pass or...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Did you not read the thread? It still needs to go through congress. Get in touch with your congress men and see what you can do. It's better than sitting on your ass all day and doing nothing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I know but the title didnt give me much hope lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 pm

MrTennek wrote:Calm down dude. Jesus...
To be quite honest, if you are calm then clearly you don't know what will happen if this passes. This is serious shit.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 pm

If people have limited access to online functions it could also stop people being able to form mass protests to counter stuff like SOPA. :(

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm

I think there’s a lot of misinformation about this subject. Net Neutrality was only put into place in 2015 and we didn’t have the supposed negative consequences of this before it passed. The internet has only gotten less anonymous and more controlled over time, and I don’t feel like that really did much to change anything. I actually don’t know a whole lot on the subject and I will freely admit this, but I find it a little suspicious that huge corporations (including Netflix mind you) are in favor of Net Neutrality. It’s like “Homeland Security” or the “Patriot Act”, it has a nice, cute and friendly sounding name but doesn’t actually mean what people think it does. Maybe we are all genuinely fucked, but I feel like everyone’s jumping on board the hysteria train without actually knowing much. Lemme stop being lazy and research this myself. :P
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Is think this had to happen, this has been an issue since at least 2014/15 and our government has been on a try again mode with this ever since. It was gonna happen at somepoint. We just need to fight it. If not it just takes 1 company like Google to spread their service without throttling. At the worst, in regards to dragon Ball, I'll just have to buy it in store again. Sure it's not as convient or even possiblity cheap but it's better than nothing and the way we had to do it pre-internet.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:How does this affect websites like Kanzenshuu? I assume that, the more well-known a website or online service is, the more likely it is that it'll be affected? Or am I wrong about that?
No-one knows.

Or they could just block it entirely, and there's absolutely nothing I would be able to do about it.

Can you not host this website in another region? Like Europe or India? Where Net Neutrality reigns supreme?

I actually dont know if an American can buy an European Domain....

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 am

Wikipedia has announced that a consensus has been reached. What was decided? Please let me know.