Net Neutrality is gone. How does that affect DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Net Neutrality is gone. How does that affect DragonBall?

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Honestly, can anyone even think of a way it might harm DragonBall?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Net Neutrality is gone. How does that affect DragonBall?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

The content of series itself? No, of course not.

The distribution of the series in all its forms? To essentially every other country in the world? Through all digital means? Even purchasing physical copies of items through digital storefronts? How can it not affect Dragon Ball, and literally every other aspect of the life of any given forum member reading this right now?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 pm

So does that mean the simulcasts on Crunchyroll and FUNimation for Super will end?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 pm

ISPs could charge more for Cruncyhroll for example, if I understand it properly.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm

precita wrote:So does that mean the simulcasts on Crunchyroll and FUNimation for Super will end?
No. An extremely gross reduction of the issue with a hypothetical scenario:

You use Verizon for your internet service provider (ISP). With net neutrality gone, Verizon decides that they will begin offering internet service at various tiers of pricing. Under this new model, Crunchyroll (indeed, all streaming services) are flat-out blocked unless you pay for the highest-cost service tier.

However, in this hypothetical scenario, Verizon decides to further enter the content world and begins offering their own anime streaming service! Hurray, this service is free to all Verizon subscribers! Simultaneously, they massively and specifically throttle all other anime streaming providers, even at their highest tier of service, meaning the best you can ever get from them is a 240p video stream. Oh, and Verizon doesn't offer Dragon Ball Super on their own service. Oh, and all peer-to-peer traffic is blocked, so you can't even pirate it.

Also, you aren't paying for their highest tier of service, so Amazon is blocked, so you can't even order the Blu-rays. Also, your local Best Buy closed, and no other store in town has it.

Oh, and because you're not paying for the enterprise-level account, you also can't access any social media at all, so you can't ask your friends. Hope you have their phone number.

This isn't actually a pipe dream. This is coming soon.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 pm

From what I understood it's not over yet and that acting like it is will do more harm.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
precita wrote:So does that mean the simulcasts on Crunchyroll and FUNimation for Super will end?
No. An extremely gross reduction of the issue with a hypothetical scenario:

You use Verizon for your internet service provider (ISP). With net neutrality gone, Verizon decides that they will begin offering internet service at various tiers of pricing. Under this new model, Crunchyroll (indeed, all streaming services) are flat-out blocked unless you pay for the highest-cost service tier.

However, in this hypothetical scenario, Verizon decides to further enter the content world and begins offering their own anime streaming service! Hurray, this service is free to all Verizon subscribers! Simultaneously, they massively and specifically throttle all other anime streaming providers, even at their highest tier of service, meaning the best you can ever get from them is a 240p video stream. Oh, and Verizon doesn't offer Dragon Ball Super on their own service. Oh, and all peer-to-peer traffic is blocked, so you can't even pirate it.

Also, you aren't paying for their highest tier of service, so Amazon is blocked, so you can't even order the Blu-rays. Also, your local Best Buy closed, and no other store in town has it.

Oh, and because you're not paying for the enterprise-level account, you also can't access any social media at all, so you can't ask your friends. Hope you have their phone number.

This isn't actually a pipe dream. This is coming soon.
*SHRUGS*
Makes me thankful I'm not in USA. At least i will have the Japanese version..... which is what actually matters

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Thinking that this isn't already happening elsewhere in the world and won't spread even further, and somehow is isolated to dubs of a TV show, is extremely ignorant and/or naive.

Please, please, please folks: do some good, solid, long-form reading before shrugging over real-life issues.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:16 pm

WA state are going to have their own Neutrality to ensure that things in that state remain the same so hopefully other states will do the same thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:27 pm

I don't fully understand what the Net Neutrality situation is all about, so... How fucked are we?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Kanassa wrote:I don't fully understand what the Net Neutrality situation is all about, so... How fucked are we?
You play online ? that's an additional fee on your normal bill.

You do a lot of streaming ? another fee.

You use social media ? a 4th fee.

You use netflix ? a 5th fee or a higher subscription for netflix.

You use crunchroll ? even more fees.

Some providors can get an exclusive deal with a company so if you want netflix it'll just work or work best on one providor.

In other words, the internet is going to be unusable for mid-low income people.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm

How does this affect websites like Kanzenshuu? I assume that, the more well-known a website or online service is, the more likely it is that it'll be affected? Or am I wrong about that?
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:46 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:How does this affect websites like Kanzenshuu? I assume that, the more well-known a website or online service is, the more likely it is that it'll be affected? Or am I wrong about that?
As far as I know that's how things will work.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:47 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:How does this affect websites like Kanzenshuu? I assume that, the more well-known a website or online service is, the more likely it is that it'll be affected? Or am I wrong about that?
No-one knows.

Your ISP may classify it under a "social" category due to the forum and its traffic. That may automatically place it in a higher-tiered access level, meaning you have to pay more to access the website, and there's absolutely nothing I would be able to do about it.

Or they could just block it entirely, and there's absolutely nothing I would be able to do about it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Man fuck this, all because billion dollar companies want to charge you even more money for a resource that's unlimited. :evil:

Unless I'm just ill-informed and there is something at play here other than companies being even more greedy. :problem:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Man fuck this, all because billion dollar companies want to charge you even more money for a resource that's unlimited. :evil:

Unless I'm just ill-informed and there is something at play here other than companies being even more greedy. :problem:
It's not just about $$$, these companies and rich people want to control what we read and talk about. Hollywood for example would be able to use this to block access to all their dirty laundry getting released to the public.

The internet played a major role in how the previous election went so for the time being, the republicans (they're the ones pushing for this as far as I know) want to make sure the internet is in their favor again in 2018 and 2020.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:28 pm

As far as I know, all of the aforementioned examples are possibilities, but not a given. I could be wrong, it's surprising how far out of my way I have to go to actually get real news on the subject instead of people on Facebook chatting about it. My regular news feeds that I use brush over the subject in broad strokes, so I could be ill-informed.

That doesn't mean that any of that will come to fruition. However, the problem is that it can, and that's just horrible. From my understanding, the internet moved from under the FCC and now put under the FTC, moving it from a "communication" to a "consumer product." So under the FTC, they have to inform us of all of the things that they are blocking us from. So hooray, I'll get a pop-up that says, "We no like that."

In the end, this is just another way for giant companies and their insanely rich investors, to control what we see on a daily basis.

It is not guaranteed that it would affect Dragon Ball in terms of being able to stream Crunchyroll or Funimation, but it can, which is already a scary thought. There's action looking to change this already, but as it stands now, it's another push to limit the common, everyday person. It's just amazing to see how virtually everyone is against it (from the looks of things) and it still managed to get by -- albeit by split decision. What's more interesting is the political spin that it got just like everything else. We all see it as a horrible thing and yet, FCC chairman Ajit Pai is saying how great this is for everyone. I fail to see the positives, but okay.

New York attorney general, Mr. Schneiderman, is looking to battle this outcome, and that's not the only backlash from this decision. So, we'll see how this gets pushed forward. Thankfully, we won't go gently into the good night.

I can see the rationale: we are using the ISPs, so kind of like any compay, they should be able to dictate how their product is shared. But, because the internet is such an integral part of our lives, it's outgrown that "I make the calls on what I wanna do!" phase.

If I got any of that wrong, or do not fully understand something, I'd be more than happy to be further informed and educated on the subject.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Alongside WA, these are the states fighting against this :

California
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Kentucky
Maine
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Oregon
Vermont

That's 25% of the states so thankfully there's some kind of push back and hopefully more will join in. This has to go to Congress before it's completed so let's hope enough people sound their voices for this to get turned down.
TheGreatness25 wrote:My regular news feeds that I use brush over the subject in broad strokes, so I could be ill-informed.
That's because the people pushing this don't want everyone to know what's going on so they're acting like it doesn't exist even though it will change our lives if it fully goes through.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm

sintzu wrote:Alongside WA, these are the states fighting against this :

California
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Kentucky
Maine
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Oregon
Vermont
Maryland too. I did talk to the Congress Men near by me and they support free Internet. While the FCC voted, it will be several months before their Office of Management and Budget approves it, until then, the current rules remain in place. In the meantime, Congress can still overturn the vote with a majority. So, start e-mailing and calling your Congressmen and Women!
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
No-one knows.

Your ISP may classify it under a "social" category due to the forum and its traffic. That may automatically place it in a higher-tiered access level, meaning you have to pay more to access the website, and there's absolutely nothing I would be able to do about it.

Or they could just block it entirely, and there's absolutely nothing I would be able to do about it.
Are you not still worried for this website though? This could be something that could have huge effects on the future of this site and forum.
Last edited by majinwarman on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.