Funimation and Canada: Dragon Ball and Other Anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimation and Canada: Dragon Ball and Other Anime

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 am

I heard some sad stories about this issue, namely that some voice actors from the Ocean dub (can't recall whom exactly) wanted to return to their DB roles but couldn't.

I hope they can return in the future, given how Brian Drummond got a chance to return.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I heard the reason it was cancelled was due more to legal mumbo-jumbo with the rights holders to the franchise at the time and other things. Also with Mach GoGo, there is the thing of outside Speed Racer and Lion Voltron, older anime tends to not sell that well stateside. ADV's redub of Robotech didn't sell that well, and that had the Japanese Minmei doing her in English. Stuff like that is why when I suggested at Funimation panels that I'd love them forever if they did Dr. Slump with Laura Bailey or Luci Christian as Arale, the reps said they liked the show, but the stuff with older series, put a hamper on that.
Yeah, there was a lawsuit that seemed to prevent DiC from reversioning more episodes.

That's why I said use a Kickstarter to fund a re-do. :p
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I heard some sad stories about this issue, namely that some voice actors from the Ocean dub (can't recall whom exactly) wanted to return to their DB roles but couldn't.
I hope they can return in the future, given how Brian Drummond got a chance to return.
Like Kirby Morrow?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yet all the dubs that arent translated by Brenda Nava use the Funimation dubs as basis. I know this really isnt their fault but it REALLY pisses me off. Viz Media always has dubs of their major franchises in Latin America. Because Funimation precisely focuses solely on the USA we will probably never see a One Piece redub here in LatAM.

Now I'm the Funimation basher. LOL
I was used to think this way, but since Sony had bought most of FUNimation's stocks some things already changed in latin american and brazilian market. For example, Crunchyroll recently added a lot of series that weren't in the service before, like Kekkai Sensen, Garo: Vanishing Line, Mob Psycho 100 and Attack of Titan, all of them FUNimation's proprerties.

About the main point of the topic, FUNimation dubs a lot of stuff in Dallas, but they are not the only anime dubbing company of the north-american market. Sentai dubs all of their stuff in Houston, Netflix and Aniplex dubs most ot their productions in Los Angeles. I agree that Canada is not getting so much attention in the nowdays, but Los Angeles for example, still do a lot of anime dubbing. A lot.
And as Canada is not getting so much attention, the same can be said about New York for example, that only works currently in Pokemon and Yugioh stuff.
Not commenting about North Carolina, New Jersey and other dubbing pools, that from some years ago to now never even dubbed a single anime anymore.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:And as Canada is not getting so much attention, the same can be said about New York for example, that only works currently in Pokemon and Yugioh stuff.

Not commenting about North Carolina, New Jersey and other dubbing pools, that from some years ago to now never even dubbed a single anime anymore.
It's true that in a post-4Kids world you hear less New York VAs in notable anime projects, but there's still stuff being recorded there. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are the two longest running English anime dubs, so I wouldn't really discount them. The NY in NYAV stands for New York, which they use for some roles in the anime work they do. Whenever Media Blasters wants something dubbed, it's usually recorded in New Jersey, though it seems like there's little difference between a typical NYC dub. Nozomi's dub for Aria is a New York (state) production and since that Kickstarter went so well, I imagine they'll be doing more shows in the future.

As far as I can tell, nothing anime-wise is being done at Coastal Studios in North Carolina. However, them getting work was always an extreme exception. Montreal and Toronto have more anime credits than they do. I'd put NC at Florida-levels of output, rather than compare them to places like Vancouver or NYC who've done loads of shows.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:26 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:The Vision of Escaflowne (I'm pissed that Ocean didn't redub this one, since Kelly Sheridan could have improved a lot).
Hey, that dub was amazing.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:53 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:The Vision of Escaflowne (I'm pissed that Ocean didn't redub this one, since Kelly Sheridan could have improved a lot).
Hey, that dub was amazing.
I don't see how. It was not one of Ocean's finest works and Kelly Sheridan sounded pretty awkward.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 pm

One big problem with the monopolization on dubs in particular, is having a less diverse voice cast. If, for example, in 1995 when DBZ began its run in North America and Funimation had its grip on ADR, we would never have heard anyone from Canada. Plus, as mentioned before, I really do think the competition between alternate casts really can bring the best out of everyone involved in production.

It's great Drummond got to revise his role, even just temporarily, but without seeing Canadian ADR productions published, people outside of Texas (and maybe LA) will never really have a chance again. That's the biggest loss here. Even those who have not been in a production but are perfect for their role (be it as an actor, director, mixer, etc) but never get a chance to work on something huge like DB, is a real shame.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Attitudefan wrote:One big problem with the monopolization on dubs in particular, is having a less diverse voice cast. If, for example, in 1995 when DBZ began its run in North America and Funimation had its grip on ADR, we would never have heard anyone from Canada. Plus, as mentioned before, I really do think the competition between alternate casts really can bring the best out of everyone involved in production.

It's great Drummond got to revise his role, even just temporarily, but without seeing Canadian ADR productions published, people outside of Texas (and maybe LA) will never really have a chance again. That's the biggest loss here. Even those who have not been in a production but are perfect for their role (be it as an actor, director, mixer, etc) but never get a chance to work on something huge like DB, is a real shame.
Yeah, Texas dubs too much.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:And as Canada is not getting so much attention, the same can be said about New York for example, that only works currently in Pokemon and Yugioh stuff.

It's true that in a post-4Kids world you hear less New York VAs in notable anime projects, but there's still stuff being recorded there. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are the two longest running English anime dubs, so I wouldn't really discount them. The NY in NYAV stands for New York, which they use for some roles in the anime work they do. Whenever Media Blasters wants something dubbed, it's usually recorded in New Jersey, though it seems like there's little difference between a typical NYC dub. Nozomi's dub for Aria is a New York (state) production and since that Kickstarter went so well, I imagine they'll be doing more shows in the future.

As far as I can tell, nothing anime-wise is being done at Coastal Studios in North Carolina. However, them getting work was always an extreme exception. Montreal and Toronto have more anime credits than they do. I'd put NC at Florida-levels of output, rather than compare them to places like Vancouver or NYC who've done loads of shows.
I thought NYAV had a based studio in Los Angeles now, since many LA actors like Johnny Yong Bosch, Stephanie Shen or even Sean Schemmel are working on their projects. Their newest dubbing casts are like mixed casts between New York and LA.

About Florida, as a dubbing pool I think they are more involved with spanish, french and portuguese dubs than with english ones. Miami actually has done more notable latin american spanish and brazilian portuguese dubs than notable english dubs. They provided some dubs for Gintama (Brazilian Portuguese), South Park (Brazilian Portuguese and Latin American Spanish), The Fairly Oddparents (Latin American Spanish), Ray Donovan (Latin American spanish), among others.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Yes, NYAV does have an LA studio. Hence why I said they use NYC talent "for some roles in the anime work they do." :p