Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
sintzu wrote:Ajay said that it being released in December is a good thing as One Piece's best movies released there and it gives them a year worth of production time unlike the previous 2 which had 8 months so we're in for an amazing ride.
Yeah, way more time for production and some quality animation. It could also mean that it'll be a lengthy film. Possibly the first Dragon Ball film that'll reach 2 hours.
I know this probably won't happen as both authors are also working on the main story but I'd love it if we could get a DB movie in one year and One Piece in the other.

By December super will be in its 160s which is amazing when you look back at it when it started and how some thought it wouldn't go past Champa's arc. In the past we'd always hear about these 200 episode new anime but back then we never believed it but in 2019 it'll be a reality.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 am

The more I think about the way Super treats Gokû, the more likely I think that my worry of the theory about the 20th Dragon Ball movie being devoid of already established characters is unfounded and mostly coloured by movie reviews of The Last Jedi that I read earlier. Shueisha isn't Disney.

My new theory is this'll be something in the vein of Movie 13, only with Gokû in Kid Trunks' role and Yamoshi in Tapion's role.

I'll still continue to hope for that Planet Salad trip, though Toriyama's been pretty grim lately so for all I know those other universes aren't coming back.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:42 am

Chuquita wrote:I'll still continue to hope for that Planet Salad trip, though Toriyama's been pretty grim lately so for all I know those other universes aren't coming back.
They've brought it up too many times so sooner or later it'll be a reality (assuming it's not part of this movie). Apart from that I've been interested in why Hit wanted to go to other universes but I doubt they'll pick that plot point up.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 am

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'll still continue to hope for that Planet Salad trip, though Toriyama's been pretty grim lately so for all I know those other universes aren't coming back.
They've brought it up too many times so sooner or later it'll be a reality (assuming it's not part of this movie).
I really hope so.

Toei put so much love into their work on the universe 6 saiyan stuff I'd be shocked if uni 6 isn't wished back at the end of this arc.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:48 am

Movie!!! I'll admit I was a little disheartened when I saw "Strongest race, SAIYANS!!!!!" Thought 'yay, more saiyans....' but if it's an origin story, then color me interested.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:48 am

Chuquita wrote:The more I think about the way Super treats Gokû, the more likely I think that my worry of the theory about the 20th Dragon Ball movie being devoid of already established characters is unfounded and mostly coloured by movie reviews of The Last Jedi that I read earlier. Shueisha isn't Disney.

My new theory is this'll be something in the vein of Movie 13, only with Gokû in Kid Trunks' role and Yamoshi in Tapion's role.

I'll still continue to hope for that Planet Salad trip, though Toriyama's been pretty grim lately so for all I know those other universes aren't coming back.
It's not a theory it's a fact. You'll need to accept it. The Uni 6 stuff will be filler trash in some arc nobody cares about.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:55 am

IndieBooToo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:The more I think about the way Super treats Gokû, the more likely I think that my worry of the theory about the 20th Dragon Ball movie being devoid of already established characters is unfounded and mostly coloured by movie reviews of The Last Jedi that I read earlier. Shueisha isn't Disney.

It's not a theory it's a fact. You'll need to accept it. The Uni 6 stuff will be filler trash in some arc nobody cares about.
They're not going to waste it like that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 am

IndieBooToo wrote:

It's a theory. A fact has proof behind it.

Just because you don't like universe 6 doesn't mean everyone else does too.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 am

IndieBooToo wrote:

How is it a fact if it hasn't even happened yet?

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:01 am

sintzu wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:

They're not going to waste it like that.
I bet you they will. You people act like it will be this big important thing.
Chuquita wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:

It's a theory. A fact has proof behind it.

Just because you don't like universe 6 doesn't mean everyone else does too.
Its a fact.

You're in the minority who likes them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:07 am

What's your source that Universe 6 will be wasted in a filler arc? Facts have sources.

Whether or not people care about those characters is their opinion. Maybe fans of universe 6 are a minority, but how can this be proven?

They're not going to waste a trip to Universe 6 because of the way they built it up. I'm convinced they'll eventually go there for a whole story arc. Maybe it won't all take place on Planet Salad, and maybe it won't be as long as the ToP, but I can't see them wasting it.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 am

Chuquita wrote:What's your source that Universe 6 will be wasted in a filler arc? Facts have sources.

Whether or not people care about those characters is their opinion. Maybe fans of universe 6 are a minority, but how can this be proven?

They're not going to waste a trip to Universe 6 because of the way they built it up. I'm convinced they'll eventually go there for a whole story arc. Maybe it won't all take place on Planet Salad, and maybe it won't be as long as the ToP, but I can't see them wasting it.
Don't you know, opinions are now facts.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

Chuquita wrote:What's your source that Universe 6 will be wasted in a filler arc? Facts have sources.

Whether or not people care about those characters is opinion.

They're not going to waste a trip to Universe 6. I'm convinced they'll eventually go there for a whole story arc. Maybe it won't all take place on Planet Salad, and maybe it won't be as long as the ToP, but I can't see them wasting it.
Regardless of whether or not people like the three mini-saiyans, people still like saiyans in general and U6 has many of them. Full arc or a couple of episodes, they're going to make the best of it.

My problem is just that Toriyama seems to have changed his visual depiction of saiyans a bit. They went from mostly large, bulky rugged-looking cavemen to slightly muscular salary men (see Db Minus)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 am

Michsi wrote:

They're not going to waste a trip to Universe 6. I'm convinced they'll eventually go there for a whole story arc. Maybe it won't all take place on Planet Salad, and maybe it won't be as long as the ToP, but I can't see them wasting it.
Regardless of whether or not people like the three mini-saiyans, people still like saiyans in general and U6 has many of them. Full arc or a couple of episodes, they're going to make the best of it.

My problem is just that Toriyama seems to have changed his visual depiction of saiyans a bit. They went from mostly large, bulky rugged-looking cavemen to slightly muscular salary men (see Db Minus)
That's because his art style changed. It's not different that what happened in Jo Jo. Also, only really Toei drew the Saiyans as cavemen.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 am

HeroR wrote:

It is a depressing state of affairs.

Also a reminder why I don't post as often as I used to. I was temporarily swayed into action by the announcement of this movie.

I just want them to clarify what this movie is (Is it a Gokû and Friends movie, or is it a bunch of new characters only?) so I know if I need to continue following this thread or not.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:26 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeroR wrote:

It is a depressing state of affairs.

Also a reminder why I don't post as often as I used to. I was temporarily swayed into action by the announcement of this movie.

I just want them to clarify what this movie is (Is it a Gokû and Friends movie, or is it a bunch of new characters only?) so I know if I need to continue following this thread or not.
Speaking of which, why is the announcement thread still lock?
Kanassa wrote:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:35 am

sintzu wrote:
They've brought it up too many times so sooner or later it'll be a reality (assuming it's not part of this movie). Apart from that I've been interested in why Hit wanted to go to other universes but I doubt they'll pick that plot point up.
How many times have they brought it up anyway? I'm sure it's been quite a few but the only time I can think of was once during the U6 arc and once during ToP.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

That's because his art style changed. It's not different that what happened in Jo Jo. Also, only really Toei drew the Saiyans as cavemen.
It did, or rather, it seems to have returned to his initial style: large heads, slim and short bodies. I used to have the impression that he developed this after DB, but the more I look at his older work, the more I see that this is how he started out.

But Toei based it's design on what they got from Toriyama, meaning Radditz and Nappa. Not to mention he designed (or corrected) they saiyans designs for the Bardock special. Vegeta looked the way he looked in the beginning because Toriyama liked subverting expectations, meaning the shorter, unimpressive looking one is the stronger of the two, But even Vegeta changed his size and bulk over the years.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 am

Michsi wrote:
It did, or rather, it seems to have returned to his initial style: large heads, slim and short bodies. I used to have the impression that he developed this after DB, but the more I look at his older work, the more I see that this is how he started out.

But Toei based it's design on what they got from Toriyama, meaning Radditz and Nappa. Not to mention he designed (or corrected) they saiyans designs for the Bardock special. Vegeta looked the way he looked in the beginning because Toriyama liked subverting expectations, meaning the shorter, unimpressive looking one is the stronger of the two, But even Vegeta changed his size and bulk over the years.
And Vegeta was the strongest and he was small and somewhat lanky and even as he got more bulky he's still small and doesn't fit the 'brute' Saiyan archetype. He also only did minor changes to Bardock, who is basically Goku.

If you look at Toriyama's sketches, he still draw characters skinny. Look at Goku Black who is actually the same body type Toriyama uses for Goku. In the anime, Black looks skinner than Goku since he's more based on Toriyama's current style while Super Goku is a mixed of Toriyama's current style and Z, mostly the Buu Saga.
Kanassa wrote:

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

That was only Super Vegeta for Obvious reasons. I believe Buu arc Vegeta's body to be the best. Which makes the FT and ToP Vegeta great too because it followed that shape. RoF Vegeta was TOO thin.