Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:Beerus isn't part of the group, whereas Vegeta is Goku's peer. He's Goku's teacher now, much like Muten Roshi. And yes, Gohan was made to be the central figure when he was the strongest.
I know you don't watch Super but Beerus has been a part of the group since BoG. Whis is Goku's teacher, Beerus is his much more advanced peer. Now that I think about it, Beerus could easily fill the position I'm asking of Vegeta, which just makes the continued insistence on Goku and Vegeta's rivalry that much more unnecessary.

Gohan's position as the strongest and the story arc in which he was the strongest all revolved around Goku. He was still the central figure of the arc and Gohan's transformation merely complemented Goku's actions throughout the Cell Games, such as his insistence on having Gohan fight and his sacrifice later on.
That was the transition, but Gohan did eventually take over the main role for a while, and the results were less than spectacular.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:Beerus could easily fill the position I'm asking of Vegeta, which just makes the continued insistence on Goku and Vegeta's rivalry that much more unnecessary.
My thoughts exactly and having Vegeta starting to not a give a F*** about Goku would be nice too, let him train to be strong only for himself and to protect his family, that would be character progression, no lame ass forced rivalry since he admited Goku was #1.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Ah yes, the Golden Freeza reveal. That brings me back to the good ol' days back when I was young and optimistic about stuff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Ah yes, the Golden Freeza reveal. That brings me back to the good ol' days back when I was young and optimistic about stuff.
Brings back memories of how anyone who tried to criticize the movie was labelled toxic.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Ah yes, the Golden Freeza reveal. That brings me back to the good ol' days back when I was young and optimistic about stuff.
Brings back memories of how anyone who tried to criticize the movie was labelled toxic.
To be absolutely fair, flinging around words like "sh*t" or "turd" or "f**k-up" means that the label isn't exactly unwarranted for such kinds of folks.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:49 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
To be absolutely fair, flinging around words like "sh*t" or "turd" or "f**k-up" means that the label isn't exactly unwarranted for such kinds of folks.
This was before Super and before people started posting one-line posts riddled with swears and insults. Posts in the thread usually had some kind of thought put into them.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:36 pm

ABED wrote:What constitutes toxic?
Well people may label this as toxic:
Rocketman wrote:Bluper Saiyan and Piss Freeza would be roundly mocked for being shitty no-effort recolors just like every single other shitty no-effort recolor of the last two decades, except ~Toriyama~ made the no-effort, so they're magically cool and good and simple and OMG GOTTA BUY MERCHANDISE DAT WACKY TORIYAMA
But I think It's a very well-grounded point of view.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 am

sintzu wrote:Toriyama said he wanted to do a vegeta centric movie so this could be it but I'm not going to get my hopes up as I did that with Rf and it was anything but that. He'll probably find a way to give Goku a better connection to the Saiyans than vegeta's like having this Yamaoshi be Goku's great great grandfather or Goku's ancestor being the very first Saiyan and king cause God knows everything has to be about him nowadays.
I actually hope the don't connect Yamoshi to Goku, because it would then only make it look like retrospective destiny for Goku to be as far as he is and those types of reveals always reduce the merit of the gains a protagonist gets. Its the same thing that ruined Naruto's character, because like Goku they were deemed to be ill-regarded and worthless to their groups and just held the ambition to work hard in order to surpass others. It just ruins that. It would be even worse if Goku was his reincarnation; that some people speculate. I mean, that would also cheapen Bardock who is treated like Yamoshi already, when he was just scared to die. Not righteous.
ABED wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:[Sarcasm] Nice to see people are so very supportive of the series creator branching out into new ideas and concepts and looking forward to what bold new directions can be taken with this franchise that was stagnate less than 10 years prior.
Is going back to the well with the Saiyan past new?
That is, going into the origins of what makes the Saiyans who they are, and how the ones we've come to know and love became the strongest in the Universes. If this new film does indeed delve into the tale of Yamoshi like many speculate, it'd be a chance for the series to return to the more mystical spirituality that permeated the series' original themes.
Toriyama has already betrayed what fans like about the original Saiyan story with the retconing of the Saiyans wanting a pure-hearted savior and being gentle making you stronger. Things just branching off of Minus, Gine & Universe 6. Nothing from modern Toriyama relating to the Saiyans has really acknowledged the core themes they used to have. Slowly hes making them into humans.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 am

I think it's important to note that when BOG was first announced everyone was ecstatic. The first DB movie since the 90's, a cool name like "Battle of Gods". We were over the moon. Then the poster came out and the first image of Beerus appeared and you could almost feel the fandom deflate. It was full of comments like " the villain looks like a pokemon/ purple kangaroo/ worst design choice ever". And it didn't stop there. When the looks of SSJGod was first shown and Vegeta mostly comical role in the movie people were flipping tables left and right.
But now Beerus is considered one of the best additions ever and peple have warmed up to SSJ God (can't say if Vegeta's act has found appreciation among his fans though).
Long story short, it's highly possible that the material used for promotion might not due the actual movie justice. It'll might appear less impressive due to Toriyama's penchant for simplicity, but work extremely well in motion.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Michsi wrote:I think it's important to note that when BOG was first announced everyone was ecstatic. The first DB movie since the 90's, a cool name like "Battle of Gods". We were over the moon. Then the poster came out and the first image of Beerus appeared and you could almost feel the fandom deflate. It was full of comments like " the villain looks like a pokemon/ purple kangaroo/ worst design choice ever". And it didn't stop there. When the looks of SSJGod was first shown and Vegeta mostly comical role in the movie people were flipping tables left and right.
But now Beerus is considered one of the best additions ever and peple have warmed up to SSJ God (can't say if Vegeta's act has found appreciation among his fans though).
Long story short, it's highly possible that the material used for promotion might not due the actual movie justice. It'll might appear less impressive due to Toriyama's penchant for simplicity, but work extremely well in motion.
I’m sure people like Vegeta’s character development. He threw away his pride to protect the earth. He rarely does that if he ever did. He made a mockery outta himself and that’s something he wouldn’t really do

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
sintzu wrote:Toriyama said he wanted to do a vegeta centric movie so this could be it but I'm not going to get my hopes up as I did that with Rf and it was anything but that. He'll probably find a way to give Goku a better connection to the Saiyans than vegeta's like having this Yamaoshi be Goku's great great grandfather or Goku's ancestor being the very first Saiyan and king cause God knows everything has to be about him nowadays.
I actually hope the don't connect Yamoshi to Goku, because it would then only make it look like retrospective destiny for Goku to be as far as he is and those types of reveals always reduce the merit of the gains a protagonist gets. Its the same thing that ruined Naruto's character, because like Goku they were deemed to be ill-regarded and worthless to their groups and just held the ambition to work hard in order to surpass others. It just ruins that. It would be even worse if Goku was his reincarnation; that some people speculate. I mean, that would also cheapen Bardock who is treated like Yamoshi already, when he was just scared to die. Not righteous.
ABED wrote:Is going back to the well with the Saiyan past new?
That is, going into the origins of what makes the Saiyans who they are, and how the ones we've come to know and love became the strongest in the Universes. If this new film does indeed delve into the tale of Yamoshi like many speculate, it'd be a chance for the series to return to the more mystical spirituality that permeated the series' original themes.
Toriyama has already betrayed what fans like about the original Saiyan story with the retconing of the Saiyans wanting a pure-hearted savior and being gentle making you stronger. Things just branching off of Minus, Gine & Universe 6. Nothing from modern Toriyama relating to the Saiyans has really acknowledged the core themes they used to have. Slowly hes making them into humans.
Toriyama never told us that the Saiyans wanted a savior. The only person who was looking for a savior was Yamoshi but it was his spirit. The word Toriyama and in the series when Gokuh and Vegeta transformed was odayaka. It can mean gentle or calm. I think a better translation would be calm. Having a calm spirit doesn’t make one stronger. Don’t get where you got that idea. Toriyama hasn’t been making Saiyans slowly into humans. Toriyama has stated time and time again that the Saiyans were evil and cold hearted. There were only those rare exceptions such as Yamoshi and his comrades, the Super Saiyan God and his comrades, Barduck, Gine, and Gokuh. I don’t see how that’s making all of the Saiyans into humans.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I actually hope the don't connect Yamoshi to Goku
Also, it makes the world seem so damn small if that guy was also Goku's ancestor

Regarding there being good Saiyans, I'm fine with that. Sure, it's a race of barbarians, but if it's not a matter of choice, then morality doesn't apply.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Meshack wrote:
Michsi wrote:I think it's important to note that when BOG was first announced everyone was ecstatic. The first DB movie since the 90's, a cool name like "Battle of Gods". We were over the moon. Then the poster came out and the first image of Beerus appeared and you could almost feel the fandom deflate. It was full of comments like " the villain looks like a pokemon/ purple kangaroo/ worst design choice ever". And it didn't stop there. When the looks of SSJGod was first shown and Vegeta mostly comical role in the movie people were flipping tables left and right.
I’m sure people like Vegeta’s character development. He threw away his pride to protect the earth. He rarely does that if he ever did. He made a mockery outta himself and that’s something he wouldn’t really do
I'm sure there are a lot of people that did, but there was also a lot of anger. Vegeta had this image of the ultimate badass, and watching his role in that movie must've rubbed ardent fans of that image the wrong way. I think quite a few dropped the franchise altogether because of that.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm

ABED wrote:
I actually hope the don't connect Yamoshi to Goku
Also, it makes the world seem so damn small if that guy was also Goku's ancestor

Regarding there being good Saiyans, I'm fine with that. Sure, it's a race of barbarians, but if it's not a matter of choice, then morality doesn't apply.
Saying all Saiyans are savages is like saying all humans (in-real life) are bad just because someone does a cruel thing. I agree with you that righetous Saiyans like Yamoshi are great but there shouldn’t be so many of them, especially in the Seventh Universe.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Michsi wrote:
Meshack wrote:
I'm sure there are a lot of people that did, but there was also a lot of anger. Vegeta had this image of the ultimate badass, and watching his role in that movie must've rubbed ardent fans of that image the wrong way. I think quite a few dropped the franchise altogether because of that.
Their loss

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm not actually excited for the movie, i mean, don't get me wrong i really like the whole backstory thing, but i just don't feel excited. I'll probably will once we get some tease or something just like with BoG. For now, as the movie's debut won't come until next year and as we don't exactly know what's going to be about, i have no reason to care about it until we get more info.

But hey, same thing happened with super and modern db in general and see how much i love it now (except RoF)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:I'm not actually excited for the movie, i mean, don't get me wrong i really like the whole backstory thing, but i just don't feel excited. I'll probably will once we get some tease or something just like with BoG. For now, as the movie's debut won't come until next year and as we don't exactly know what's going to be about, i have no reason to care about it until we get more info.

But hey, same thing happened with super and modern db in general and see how much i love it now (except RoF)
It was said to be backstory. It was said to be about the origin of the Saiyans’ strength. Most likely we’re getting Planet Sadala

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Michsi wrote:But now Beerus is considered one of the best additions ever and peple have warmed up to SSJ God (can't say if Vegeta's act has found appreciation among his fans though).
Well, I've grow to appreciate Beerus character in the series, SSJ God is still one of the worst transformations in this franchise to me and Vegeta Bingo Dance was quite lame and I happy they took that off in the BoG retelling.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Beerus was different and interesting. That excites me. The Saiyan backstory? Not so much.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:57 pm

ABED wrote:Beerus was different and interesting. That excites me. The Saiyan backstory? Not so much.
Yea, talking about that I think I would also enjoy a special about Beerus backstory, this fan art makes me think a lot about it:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs