Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm

sangofe wrote:Anyone knows what the production time was for Battle of Gods and Ressurection F?
Going by what Watanabe said BoG production began towards the end of 2011 and according to Toriyama F started production in 2013 at the earliest, after BoG's commercial success.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Exactly, and I'm speculating that Goku could have a reduced role in this film.

I don't think anyone ever was asking for a Tenshinhan movie.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Instead of being forward moving, we're again stuck in the past. A movie about the Saiyan past isn't as interesting as where Goku is at this stage in his life.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:I think a good way to satiate the folks who want new ground to be covered AND their old favourites would be a "coinciding storyline", or whatever you'd call it.

The basic idea is that the film switches perspectives from the past, with Yamoshi and the origins of Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God, with the present, with Goku and the gang during the events of Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F and material before and after.

Perhaps Yamoshi's tale is the primary focus, but it occasionally shifts back to the present, with scenes from the past transitioning to scenes in the present where they're meant to relate, like Yamoshi's first transformation into Super Saiyan transitioning to that of Goku's first time, the 6 righteous Saiyans over Planet Vegeta creating the first Super Saiyan God coinciding with Goku and co. creating their own Super Saiyan God, etc.

This is just a potential structure I thought might be interesting to see.
I absolutely love this idea! It's something that Dragon Ball Super chapter twenty did very effectively in switching between two scenarios that were taking place and were connected by the context. The swapping between the future and the present in order to provide a complete understanding of the situation was done so effectively and I would be thrilled if this movie took a similar approach.
Hell yeah, I'd be down for that too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Flashbacks are best used to illuminate something in the present, but I've had a little too much nostalgia in film and TV. How much longer can this trend last? Marc Bernardin has a really good article about this. It's specifically about Star Wars, but it applies here as well. "Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. It burns hot and fast, tickling the pleasure centers on its way."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: This is absolutely true, which is why I don't want this to feel like a 'Dragon Ball' film. I want them to just treat this as something completely fresh and new that just so happens to exist in the Dragon Ball world. I want to see Toriyama to try and write something original with characters that he is not familiar with.

What you said doesn't sound blasphemous at all. It's a very valid reason to not be interested in this. I'm just interested to see what they could do with a story that doesn't include the characters we know.
I just don't have much faith in Toriyama/Toei's ability to craft a good narrative that can stand on it's own without the main cast. Ressurection of F and Battle of Gods were quite literally ONLY entertaining to me because of the characters that were in it. The plots of those films would've bored me to tears had it not been for the fun interactions with the characters I love.
Jaco was really good.
Do you think it could be a film? It could feature baby Goku and kid Bulma and Tights.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Artorias wrote:
I just don't have much faith in Toriyama/Toei's ability to craft a good narrative that can stand on it's own without the main cast. Ressurection of F and Battle of Gods were quite literally ONLY entertaining to me because of the characters that were in it. The plots of those films would've bored me to tears had it not been for the fun interactions with the characters I love.
Jaco was really good.
Do you think it could be a film? It could feature baby Goku and kid Bulma and Tights.
TV special at best, no way it'd make enough at the box office to justify a theatrical release.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Depends on how Toei would promote it I guess. Might have to live with minus being thrown in haha.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 pm

So approximately how long will it be until we get the next info? I remember we got the name for BOG fairly soon after it was announced, but the poster came a few months later.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Modern Toriyama + new Saiyans lore, what could possibly go wrong with this?!

Mixed feelings about this.

I'm usually optimist when it comes to new DB stuff, but this combo usually worries me a lot.

Reasons:

- DB Minus is bad. Gine is the only good thing from there and it doesn't help Bardock TV Special exists for a quick comparison. In the fact the existence of that TV Special is what makes me despise Minus, despite coming from Toriyama himself. If I didn't find that TV Special as perfect as I do, I would be much more receptive to this subject.

- Toriyama's new anorexic style doesn't suit DB. I can give a free pass to U6 Saiyans because they are new characters, even though they look like sticks, but old characters who were muscular and look anorexic nowadays is something I find horrible. The biggest example is really DB Minus and in the anime characters like ROF Gohan and Satan.
U7 full-blooded Saiyans were always portrayed as barbaric, ruthless and muscular, but that changed in DB Minus and assuming this is really about U7 Saiyans Toriyama may do it again.

- Unnecessary retcons everywhere. Such as Beerus asking Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta, Bardock/Gine sending Goku away, Goku being older when he was sent to Earth...

I liked the last interview about S-Cells and Yamoshi's story, but I'm worried about what Toriyama may do if we gonna dive deeper into it.
In before Goku turns out to be Yamoshi's reincarnated...

On the other hand, I'm interested about the visuals.
Their ambition of making this the best looking DB Movie ever is appreciated, but if they are serious about that make Nagamine the Director. Takahashi becoming the character designer would be awesome but unfortunately the chances of that happening are low, so give me the former at least.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm

ABED wrote:Instead of being forward moving, we're again stuck in the past. A movie about the Saiyan past isn't as interesting as where Goku is at this stage in his life.
Putting in this way I think both are uninteresting, really.
Last edited by Noah on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:17 pm

What's uninteresting about where Goku is at this stage in his life?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:18 pm

ABED wrote:What's uninteresting about where Goku is at this stage in his life?
We know how his character arc ends already.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Considering how bizarrely they've been writing him, as a product of having several different writers I'm sure, there are probably many unpleasant surprises in store.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Yeah, he fused with the Dragon Balls and trolled Pan 100 years later, I think. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm not saying the writers will write anything the quality of Vince Gilligan does, but we know where Jimmy McGill ends up, but that doesn't make his journey into Saul Goodman less interesting.

Are you suggesting they end the story or do you want to switch the focus of the story?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 pm

ABED wrote:I'm not saying the writers will write anything the quality of Vince Gilligan does, but we know where Jimmy McGill ends up, but that doesn't make his journey into Saul Goodman less interesting.
There isn't much of a drastic change between what Goku is now and what he is at EoZ and, thus, there isn't much to do with the character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm not saying the writers will write anything the quality of Vince Gilligan does, but we know where Jimmy McGill ends up, but that doesn't make his journey into Saul Goodman less interesting.
There isn't much of a drastic change between what Goku is now and what he is at EoZ and, thus, there isn't much to do with the character.
I'm not referring purely to arcs. I'm talking about writing Goku as a man in his 40s/50s and as a father and grandfather, a warrior with lots of life and battle experience.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

If this new movie is supposedly about the origin of the Saiyan legend, I really hope it is a powerful movie that really works off the flaws of ROF and go back to what the older movies did much better than the recent DB related stuff. An actual plot again. The strength that the early Z movies had was, that as self-contained as they were they did much better than ROF & BOG in terms of actually establishing a setting, the fights didn't start in the last 10 minutes of the film and the tones actually made the scenarios feel like a threat. Its why if this is about the Saiyan history, I really hope they keep the tone in line with the Bardock Special & Broly's first movie, where there was an actual story around it to set up the fights. It wasn't just things happening from a casual nonchalant event. I also hope to see the Saiyans portrayed as brutal warriors again. I don't like the tone the Saiyan lore has taken recently where there has been this push to make them into 'righteous' heroes all-along, with the 'evil' Saiyans being the exception. Thats just the vibe I got from the tone I get from how U6's Saiyans were handled and seem to be taking over the lore somewhat. I hope we get something more in line with the original lore.

There should also be more focus on Vegeta this time. It just makes more sense for the setting. Goku being the focus despite not caring about that Saiyan stuff would just be a waste.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Doctor. wrote: There isn't much of a drastic change between what Goku is now and what he is at EoZ and, thus, there isn't much to do with the character.
Seriously though, that's why side story/world building films are an appealing idea.