Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:I'm confused. The translation of Toriyama's words said "long-awaited opponent". Does that mean its someone we know already or...?
We translated this as "...and leading to a mighty foe saved for the occasion"; I again point people to Julian's re-translation of the entire comment, which does differ in nuance and detail compared to the condensed version provided on the official website.
8bitdee wrote:Someone with Japanese language experience knows better what the message meant?
Speaking of Julian, I had him go through the entire comment in Japanese and explain some of said nuance in our latest podcast episode (#0436).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I'm confused. The translation of Toriyama's words said "long-awaited opponent". Does that mean its someone we know already or...?
We translated this as "...and leading to a mighty foe saved for the occasion"; I again point people to Julian's re-translation of the entire comment, which does differ in nuance and detail compared to the condensed version provided on the official website.
8bitdee wrote:Someone with Japanese language experience knows better what the message meant?
Speaking of Julian, I had him go through the entire comment in Japanese and explain some of said nuance in our latest podcast episode (#0436).
Yup. I just heard the podcast. Great as always
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Do we have news that this movie might release worldwide?
LightBing wrote:Any theories who that mighty foe could be? I can't think of anyone likely for the role.
Most likely Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 pm

So the new movie is called "Dragon Ball Super Movie"? That's such a lame title if true.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Bullza wrote:So the new movie is called "Dragon Ball Super Movie"? That's such a lame title if true.
No, that's just the provisional title. We don't have the finalized name yet.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 pm

So let me get this straight, we now don't only have two, but three different continuities?
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

The US will probably get the movie in March-April 2019. Having it come out the same week as it does in Japan would be cool, but it will never happen. Funimation would need time to dub it without rushing it and market it. These things take time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:So let me get this straight, we now don't only have two, but three different continuities?
Where are you getting that from? Best I can tell, this movie is just a continuation of the anime's story.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The US will probably get the movie in March-April 2019. Having it come out the same week as it does in Japan would be cool, but it will never happen. Funimation would need time to dub it without rushing it and market it. These things take time.
They could do a subbed theatrical release.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I don’t know how to feel about the fact that the movie will apparently pick up where the ToP leaves off. It doesn’t seem like that really warrants a movie. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, though.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:So let me get this straight, we now don't only have two, but three different continuities?
Where are you getting that from? Best I can tell, this movie is just a continuation of the anime's story.

From Toriyama's interview, unless I misunderstand. The anime (which will without doubt get back on air at some point) and the manga already contradict each other, now we will also have a separate movie in Super's continuity.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:03 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:

From Toriyama's interview, unless I misunderstand. The anime (which will without doubt get back on air at some point) and the manga already contradict each other, now we will also have a separate movie in Super's continuity.
The manga exist mainly to promote the anime. Calling them different continuities is like saying the DBZ anime and original manga are different continuities.
Last edited by kn83 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

kn83 wrote:The manga exist mainly to promote the anime. Calling them different continuities is like say the DBZ anime and original manga are different continuities.
The DBZ anime was an adaption of the original manga, while Super manga and Super anime are both adaptations of Toriyama's drafts.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 pm

kn83 wrote:Calling them different continuities is like saying the DBZ anime and original manga are different continuities.
They are. Cargo is killed by Freeza in the manga, and Dodoria in the anime. Gregory and Mr. Satan's assistants are uniquely present at pivotal moments in the anime, but not in the manga. Entire filler episodes and arcs occur exclusively in the anime. Piccolo has four fingers in the manga, five in the anime. The anime's stretch of the Great Saiyaman portion is much longer and different.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Super manga and Super anime are both adaptations of Toriyama's drafts.
They also appear to adapt each other in a lot of ways.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Zephyr wrote:
kn83 wrote:Calling them different continuities is like saying the DBZ anime and original manga are different continuities.
They are. Cargo is killed by Freeza in the manga, and Dodoria in the anime. Gregory and Mr. Satan's assistants are uniquely present at pivotal moments in the anime, but not in the manga. Entire filler episodes and arcs occur exclusively in the anime. Piccolo has four fingers in the manga, five in the anime. The anime's stretch of the Great Saiyaman portion is much longer and different.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Super manga and Super anime are both adaptations of Toriyama's drafts.
They also appear to adapt each other in a lot of ways.
All of that is mostly trivial. You are suppose to pretend the filler arcs don't exist since they have no impact on any major story. The big major plot points of both mediums play out the same, especially DBKai compared to the manga
Last edited by kn83 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

We've had 3. Battle of Gods and RoF (movies), Super (anime) and Super (manga). The movie seems like it'll just be following where the anime left off as the next "arc" of sorts.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 pm

What do you mean "now"? That has been the case since Dragon Ball Super started in 2015. There's Toriyama's continuity, the movies; Toei's continuity, the anime; and Toyotaro's continuity, the manga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm

kn83 wrote:All of that is mostly trivial. You are supposej to pretend the filler arcs don't exist since they have no impact on any major story. The big major plot points of both mediums play out the same, especially DBKai compared to the manga
That they share major plot points doesn't make them the same continuity.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Bullza wrote:So the new movie is called "Dragon Ball Super Movie"? That's such a lame title if true.
I actually like this movie having the "Super" brand instead of "Z" for a change. Funny to think about it that GT never got a movie, but a TV Special only.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:12 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:We've had 3. Battle of Gods and RoF (movies)
Grimlock wrote:What do you mean "now"? That has been the case since Dragon Ball Super started in 2015.
BoG and RoF are Z movies.