Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:25 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:We've had 3. Battle of Gods and RoF (movies)
Grimlock wrote:What do you mean "now"? That has been the case since Dragon Ball Super started in 2015.
BoG and RoF are Z movies.
Branding doesn't mean a thing. It's still the same franchise-revival batch of Toriyama storylines.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:BoG and RoF are Z movies.
So? That matters nothing.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 am

I'm just afraid Super is only going to become movies. The animation is maybe better in a movie. But it does not compare with the weekly enjoyment, speculation and nostalgia of a series. A movie is only 2 1/2 hours and it's gone. You cannot speculate about how the arc goes further next week. This is a real shame, because the real Dragon Ball-fans (which are a lot) deserve a proper anime-series think. It's always been a series, why change that concept?

Is there any real hope left for a continuation of the series? Will this movie be integrated in the series? Or will they just start with episode 132 of Super or a new series without talking about this movie? The main canon has always been received an anime adaptation. I would like it to stay that way.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

All the excitement I experienced from seeing the promotional Goku image and the staff list was very quickly drained when I read Toriyama's comment: "(the movie) will give a little better understanding about Freeza and the Saiyans, which I hadn’t properly depicted up till now".

Come on, seriously!? F*cking Freeza and the Saiyans?! What more is there to tell!? Yeah sure, you never went into great detail about it in the manga Toriyama, but does any of that stuff warrant being dug up to be major plot points in a new narrative with Dragon Ball's level of storytelling?
Freeza killed all of the Saiyans but Goku, Vegeta and those two other guys. Boom. Got it. Goku (and the story) doesn't need to worry about running into any more Saiyans, and Freeza is established as a super strong guy who is connected to Goku and Vegeta so they have a reason to fight him. It doesn't need exploring and we don't need a "better understanding" of the details, the whole backstory thing has already served all purpose it could possibly have.
Even if you're of the mindset that the original manga skipped over something in terms of Freeza and the Saiyans' history, you've already got stuff that explores that! The Bardock specials and Minus exist, there's already a sizeable chunk of spin-offs dedicated to "giving a little better understanding" of this specific part of the series' lore, and that's not counting the animated filler.

Including this shit in the movie's plot is so reductive at this point, it's a continuation of the narrowing of the type of stories that Dragon Ball can tell. Dragon Ball is very close to becoming Star Wars in this sense, a new instalment can't be made without it including all the expected elements. In the case of Star Wars; Lightsabers (goodie has blue one baddie has red one), X-Wings and other familiar ships, Stormtroopers, big ships or bases that need to be destroyed, AT-AT-like walkers, endless meaningless drivel about the Light and Dark sides of the Force etc.

Dragon Ball now has its own share of stuff it can't not include; Goku (he gets a pass because he's the main character), Vegeta (but don't make his role in the story significant!), Freeza, past characters who show up for the sake of being there, past characters who are given "arcs" that either run into the ground or are constantly re-set, Beerus, Whis, the hilarious food gags, new hairstyles or "forms",
new insight about the existence of Saiyans and their limits (often related to the new "form"), endless (and often hilarious) comments about the nature of Saiyans, boring "plots" that either have no stakes or the characters act like there aren't any,
big baddie who is stronger than Goku and Vegeta so Goku and Vegeta do something to attain more strength, big boring tag-team fights against the big baddie, stupid shallow twist endings that only serve to make the story look less basic than it actually is etc.

The fact that the movie is based around Saiyan-Freeza stuff in some capacity is also a massive red flag to me that the creative process is focused on the goal of making the movie the best "product" it can be. If they're drudging up the good ol' Freeza and the Saiyans shtick, which has been proven to be the most marketable thing about Dragon Ball (see Revival F and the Universe 6 bunch), it almost certainly means they're not very committed to telling a good story, or even making an enjoyable movie. This thing's probably going to play it safe, it's going to be simple, it won't do anything Dragon Ball hasn't already done, it's going to be passable slop that everyone who likes Dragon Ball will eat up.
Maybe I have my expectations wayyy too high for a silly Japanese kids franchise that has always been about appealing to the masses, maybe the old Dragon Ball Z stuff just turned out good by chance and not by design. Either way, I'm not really looking forward to being disappointed by this movie.

But hey, I could be wrong, maybe the whole "Freeza and the Saiyans" thing will be completely incidental to a really well-made, decently written and fun Dragon Ball movie.
And it looks like the character designs will be a departure from Yamamuro's, that's something to look forward to. Anything would be better than the terrible look of post-Kai Dragon Ball, I'm getting real sick of continually having to put up with that garbage from Super most weeks. I can't even mindlessly watch Dragon Ball for the good-looking animation anymore, goddammit! Fingers crossed that I can at least enjoy this movie from a "turn your brain off and look at the pretty drawings" perspective.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am

TheQuazz wrote:but does any of that stuff warrant being dug up to be major plot points in a new narrative with Dragon Ball's level of storytelling?
If they dedicated ("wasted" is a better term) a whole movie just to bring Freeza back and kill him in the same movie, why can't they actually do something right and depict what should have already been depicted?
TheQuazz wrote:Freeza killed all of the Saiyans but Goku, Vegeta and those two other guys.
Oh yeah, I forgot this movie has a chance to actually show more of Tarble as well. Hopefully Toriyama remembers him and put him in this movie.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 am

Bullza wrote:So the new movie is called "Dragon Ball Super Movie"? That's such a lame title if true.
It'll be 'Dragon Ball Zuper Movie' ala AcrSys :lol:

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

Grimlock wrote:
I thought it did... Super is the continuation of DB and starts by retelling the BoG... To me Super starts from the anime and manga, not the latest Z movies...
TheQuazz wrote:Come on, seriously!? F*cking Freeza and the Saiyans?! What more is there to tell!? Yeah sure, you never went into great detail about it in the manga Toriyama, but does any of that stuff warrant being dug up to be major plot points in a new narrative with Dragon Ball's level of storytelling?
I'm actually much looking forward to this, I just hope Toriyama deals with it seriously.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I thought it did... Super is the continuation of DB and starts by retelling the BoG... To me Super starts from the anime and manga, not the latest Z movies...
Then that is your continuity, how you want it to see/be. Others will see in another way. Me, for example, I take into consideration the movies instead of the retellings, this is my continuity, the way I prefer to see it.

But it's a reality that there are different continuities of the same things, all because they contradict each other and follow their own set of rules and logic. For example, in the manga Bulma says that if a day passes in the present, one day passes in the future too. This goes against the majority of the timeline as we know it. But this information was only stated in the Toyotaro's version/continuity, in Toei's one, Bulma never said that, which obviously means this is a manga-only issue and it cannot be treated as a general problem if a person does not consider the manga.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:To me Super starts from the anime and manga, not the latest Z movies...
It doesn't matter what those 2 movies were called, both BOG and RF are the start of the revived DB stories from Toriyama.
TheQuazz wrote:Seriously!? F*cking Freeza and the Saiyans?! What more is there to tell!?

The fact that the movie is based around Saiyan-Freeza stuff in some capacity is also a massive red flag to me that the creative process is focused on the goal of making the movie the best "product" it can be.
I was hoping for something new myself as modern DB has done A LOT with saiyans and Freeza but...I guess all we can do is wait and see.

When they said best product they were talking about the production side of things and based on who's working on it, it most likely will be the best DB produced piece. The story on the other hand is up in the air as we don't know anything but very basic small things. I think BOG is the best DB movie and Black the best DB villain so if we can get a mixture of that we'll be good.
jeffbr92 wrote:Funny to think about it that GT never got a movie, but a TV Special only.
That's because GT never took off the way Super did. I think if Toei weren't as busy as they were we would've gotten one sooner.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am

Grimlock wrote:[...] which obviously means this is a manga-only issue and it cannot be treated as a general problem if a person does not consider the manga.
Well, for DB, I consider both the manga and anime to be canon on their own level, but when there is a contradiction I consider the manga is holding the truth. I also consider BoG and RoF canon. But with the anime of Super beginning and the manga on the side, I see a clear separation since both hold the same canonical 'value' if you see what I mean, and now I need to add a third layer with the upcoming movie... I can't make sense of any of it.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 am

sintzu wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Funny to think about it that GT never got a movie, but a TV Special only.
That's because GT never took off the way Super did. I think if Toei weren't as busy as they were we would've gotten one sooner.
I would be interesting to see a GT movie, but if it was a Toei take (Generic villain comes up, beats up everybody, Goku comes up and save everyone) like the original 13 Z Movies, it would be not much different from what GT is a whole
Zephyr wrote:Branding doesn't mean a thing. It's still the same franchise-revival batch of Toriyama storylines.
Grimlock wrote:
For you guys, maybe. But they are still Z products anyway.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

This whole Freeza thing depends on what happens in the ToP finale. It could flow pretty naturally into the movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:For you guys, maybe. But they are still Z products anyway.
No one is saying otherwise. The fact that those movies are "Z products" doesn't mean there aren't different continuities, which is the real subject we're discussing here.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Whether something is Z or Super, it's just semantics. BoG and RoF were retconned with the Super series (which increased the time gap between Buu and Beerus). The next movie will continue from where the anime left off, so it's not like there is some separate movie canon that's being built along side the anime and manga continuities.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:24 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:it's not like there is some separate movie canon that's being built along side the anime and manga continuities.
I think this is exactly what is happening.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:it's not like there is some separate movie canon that's being built along side the anime and manga continuities.
I think this is exactly what is happening.
You'd think as well they could switch to a movie-only-franchise? Man, that would he such as shame.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:37 pm

TheQuazz wrote:[spoiler]All the excitement I experienced from seeing the promotional Goku image and the staff list was very quickly drained when I read Toriyama's comment: "(the movie) will give a little better understanding about Freeza and the Saiyans, which I hadn’t properly depicted up till now".

Come on, seriously!? F*cking Freeza and the Saiyans?! What more is there to tell!? Yeah sure, you never went into great detail about it in the manga Toriyama, but does any of that stuff warrant being dug up to be major plot points in a new narrative with Dragon Ball's level of storytelling?
Freeza killed all of the Saiyans but Goku, Vegeta and those two other guys. Boom. Got it. Goku (and the story) doesn't need to worry about running into any more Saiyans, and Freeza is established as a super strong guy who is connected to Goku and Vegeta so they have a reason to fight him. It doesn't need exploring and we don't need a "better understanding" of the details, the whole backstory thing has already served all purpose it could possibly have.
Even if you're of the mindset that the original manga skipped over something in terms of Freeza and the Saiyans' history, you've already got stuff that explores that! The Bardock specials and Minus exist, there's already a sizeable chunk of spin-offs dedicated to "giving a little better understanding" of this specific part of the series' lore, and that's not counting the animated filler.

Including this shit in the movie's plot is so reductive at this point, it's a continuation of the narrowing of the type of stories that Dragon Ball can tell. Dragon Ball is very close to becoming Star Wars in this sense, a new instalment can't be made without it including all the expected elements. In the case of Star Wars; Lightsabers (goodie has blue one baddie has red one), X-Wings and other familiar ships, Stormtroopers, big ships or bases that need to be destroyed, AT-AT-like walkers, endless meaningless drivel about the Light and Dark sides of the Force etc.

Dragon Ball now has its own share of stuff it can't not include; Goku (he gets a pass because he's the main character), Vegeta (but don't make his role in the story significant!), Freeza, past characters who show up for the sake of being there, past characters who are given "arcs" that either run into the ground or are constantly re-set, Beerus, Whis, the hilarious food gags, new hairstyles or "forms",
new insight about the existence of Saiyans and their limits (often related to the new "form"), endless (and often hilarious) comments about the nature of Saiyans, boring "plots" that either have no stakes or the characters act like there aren't any,
big baddie who is stronger than Goku and Vegeta so Goku and Vegeta do something to attain more strength, big boring tag-team fights against the big baddie, stupid shallow twist endings that only serve to make the story look less basic than it actually is etc.

The fact that the movie is based around Saiyan-Freeza stuff in some capacity is also a massive red flag to me that the creative process is focused on the goal of making the movie the best "product" it can be. If they're drudging up the good ol' Freeza and the Saiyans shtick, which has been proven to be the most marketable thing about Dragon Ball (see Revival F and the Universe 6 bunch), it almost certainly means they're not very committed to telling a good story, or even making an enjoyable movie. This thing's probably going to play it safe, it's going to be simple, it won't do anything Dragon Ball hasn't already done, it's going to be passable slop that everyone who likes Dragon Ball will eat up.
Maybe I have my expectations wayyy too high for a silly Japanese kids franchise that has always been about appealing to the masses, maybe the old Dragon Ball Z stuff just turned out good by chance and not by design. Either way, I'm not really looking forward to being disappointed by this movie.

But hey, I could be wrong, maybe the whole "Freeza and the Saiyans" thing will be completely incidental to a really well-made, decently written and fun Dragon Ball movie.
And it looks like the character designs will be a departure from Yamamuro's, that's something to look forward to. Anything would be better than the terrible look of post-Kai Dragon Ball, I'm getting real sick of continually having to put up with that garbage from Super most weeks. I can't even mindlessly watch Dragon Ball for the good-looking animation anymore, goddammit! Fingers crossed that I can at least enjoy this movie from a "turn your brain off and look at the pretty drawings" perspective.[/spoiler]
To be fair, this could be an opportunity to redeem Frieza as a villain after the disaster of Resurrection F and the ToP.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:21 pm

8bitdee wrote:
TheQuazz wrote:[spoiler]All the excitement I experienced from seeing the promotional Goku image and the staff list was very quickly drained when I read Toriyama's comment: "(the movie) will give a little better understanding about Freeza and the Saiyans, which I hadn’t properly depicted up till now".

And it looks like the character designs will be a departure from Yamamuro's, that's something to look forward to. Anything would be better than the terrible look of post-Kai Dragon Ball, I'm getting real sick of continually having to put up with that garbage from Super most weeks. I can't even mindlessly watch Dragon Ball for the good-looking animation anymore, goddammit! Fingers crossed that I can at least enjoy this movie from a "turn your brain off and look at the pretty drawings" perspective.[/spoiler]
To be fair, this could be an opportunity to redeem Frieza as a villain after the disaster of Resurrection F and the ToP.
What? Freeza's been good in the ToP. Yeah, he hasn't been a villain, but a cool character to have around.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I wonder why they choose to do a movie to follow up Super instead keep on having the show going?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder why they choose to do a movie to follow up Super instead keep on having the show going?
I'm thinking it was at least partially about timing. They needed a place to air the new Gegege no Kitaro that's taking Super's slot, and switching to a movie rather than multiple episodes of a show would (I assume anyway) be somewhat less hectic on the animators/writers/etc. And then they've got a nice break after the movie to start working on preparing it's eventual return (again, I assume), so that they can hit the ground a little more prepared than how they did when Super first started.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)