Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DB 2018 Movie Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

I guess I should just go ahead and say it right now: I’m finding it a bit difficult to really muster up excitement for this film. A movie about the origin of the Saiyans just doesn’t interest me all that much. If we really had to have a movie that explores the origins of something, I would much rather have a film about the origins of the GoDs.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 pm

I actually wonder if Toyo is working on this with Toriyama too. I could see him doing some character designs

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 pm

So what are your predictions for this movie's gross? Can it surpass One Piece Film Z?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:So what are your predictions for this movie's gross? Can it surpass One Piece Film Z?
No, but I would like it to finally reach 4 billion in Japan this time.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 am

Grossing well is all that matters. :thumbup:

2018 is finally upon us, while we're still far away from the movie itself, I hope we're not that far from the news and the trailer.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:12 am

Grimlock wrote:Grossing well is all that matters. :thumbup:

2018 is finally upon us, while we're still far away from the movie itself, I hope we're not that far from the news and the trailer.
There won't be a trailer containing any actual footage from the film for at least another nine or ten months.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 am

Why? That wasn't the case for Movie 14 and Movie 15. The first teaser was released months before the release of the movie and the trailer not too close to the release of the movie as far as I can remember. I think I should have written "teaser" in my previous comment though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:32 am

Grimlock wrote:Why? That wasn't the case for Movie 14 and Movie 15. The first teaser was released months before the release of the movie and the trailer not too close to the release of the movie as far as I can remember. I think I should have written "teaser" in my previous comment though.
The first teaser (which contained no footage to be used in the film) was released on 22 July 2012. The movie wouldn't come out for another nine months. The first trailer containing actual animation from the film wasn't released until 07 December 2012, three months before the film was released. If the movie is coming out in December I wouldn't expect anything meant to be in the movie being seen until summer break for schools at the earliest, assuming there is any finished animation by then.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:35 am

Do you think it's going to be a story set entirely in the past and not featuring Goku or any of the other known characters?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:42 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Do you think it's going to be a story set entirely in the past and not featuring Goku or any of the other known characters?
If it is set in the past they'll probably throw in Goku as a framing device like that History of Japan special.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm

What I'm curious to know is, will this be labeled a Dragon Ball Z film, or a Dragon Ball Super film? The latter might create some confusion, but I think it would be cool for at least one film to receive the Super branding before the series finishes airing.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 am

Kuwabara wrote:What I'm curious to know is, will this be labeled a Dragon Ball Z film, or a Dragon Ball Super film? The latter might create some confusion, but I think it would be cool for at least one film to receive the Super branding before the series finishes airing.
True, but if Super's gonna get replaced by another new DB series (with new subtitle) in a near-ish future (lets say between fall 2018 and fall 2019) then I would guess the movie won't have either Z or Super branding and just roll under general DB umbrella.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:I actually wonder if Toyo is working on this with Toriyama too. I could see him doing some character designs
He could provide some designs from the random Saiyans appearing throughout the movie. He recently mentioned being late with this month's manga which may be because he's busy helping Toriyama and Toei with the movie's early production.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Do you think it's going to be a story set entirely in the past and not featuring Goku or any of the other known characters?
Not if they want it to actually make money.

Goku sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Goku sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 am

Hope this movie will be released soon.
“Death by a god of death, this may be a proud moment.”

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 am

Goku sama wrote:Hope this movie will be released soon.
It's releasing in December which is anything but soon. We probably won't get its name or poster until April-May.
There's no way a movie this big won't have Goku front and center as he should be.
TheUltimateNinja wrote:So what are your predictions for this movie's gross? Can it surpass One Piece Film Z?
It'll probably surpass RF as I think it'll get a bigger international showing with more screenings and marketing.
WittyUsername wrote:I would much rather have a film about the origins of the GoDs.
Saiyans are easy $$$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:16 am

Goku sama wrote:Hope this movie will be released soon.
We'll have no other choice but to wait until December. (If Disney give this a proper worldwide release.)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:We'll have no other choice but to wait until December. (If Disney give this a proper worldwide release.)
Why Disney?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:01 am

Noah wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:We'll have no other choice but to wait until December. (If Disney give this a proper worldwide release.)
Why Disney?
Disney just bought Fox who own the feature film rights in North America and maybe elsewhere.
And give it another ten years and they will own the franchise outright 8)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why Disney?
Disney just bought Fox who own the feature film rights in North America and maybe elsewhere.

Give it another ten years and they will own the franchise outright 8)
If someone else bought Fox then Marvel's X-men would go back to Marvel so why wouldn't DB's rights go back to Shueisha ?

DB ? they'll buy Shueisha and get that alongside everything else. If they want to get into Japan, that's the way to do it. The only problem is that they'll kill off every classic anime character and replace them (and everyone working on them) with SJWs like what they've done with Marvel. I also haven't read anything good about their star wars so I want them and anime to be as faaaaaaaaar apart as possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.