Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:it's not like there is some separate movie canon that's being built along side the anime and manga continuities.
I think this is exactly what is happening.
They already did it with Z so that wouldnt be surprising tbh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm

It won't surprise if we get Super back on TV or a new series that they will probably retell the movie again in TV format.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:it's not like there is some separate movie canon that's being built along side the anime and manga continuities.
I think this is exactly what is happening.
How? We know the new movie takes place after the ToP arc in DBS it's impossible to follow the BoG/F "continuity".

Movies: BoG->F->End.
DBS->DBS movie->DBS 2.0 (assumption).

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise if we get Super back on TV or a new series that they will probably retell the movie again in TV format.
Well, i hope they do serialize it. But i'd be ok if the movie would just be cut in 5 episodes, and reshown how it was, just like an appetizer to restart the series. For me, they don't actually have to spend extra animation budget to completely redo it and make 15 episodes like with BOG or ROF. That has little extra value.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Branding doesn't mean a thing. It's still the same franchise-revival batch of Toriyama storylines.
For you guys, maybe. But they are still Z products anyway.
There's no "for us guys", that's simply how it is. They're more part of this new batch of story material than they are the original run of Toriyama's manga, in terms of creative spark and input, regardless of anyone's preferences, mine included. After the manga ended, he didn't work on the series to any substantive degree for over 15 years. The Buu arc and Battle of Gods sit on complete opposite ends of that enormous break. No amount of branding can change that.

The second half of the original manga's anime adaptation was branded differently than the first half. That didn't magically radically transform the nature of what its story actually was. The Dragon Ball Z anime has more in common, in literally every department besides branding, with the Dragon Ball anime than with Battle of Gods and Revival of F. Battle of Gods and Revival of F have more in common, in literally every department besides branding, with the Dragon Ball Super anime than with the Dragon Ball Z anime.

For DB vs DBZ in the past, and DBZ vs DBS in the present, it's nothing more than a commercial distinction. In every creative and artistic way, there's no distinction to be made.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

sangofe wrote:What? Freeza's been good in the ToP. Yeah, he hasn't been a villain, but a cool character to have around.
Yes, he was good until he loses his cool and returns acting like the same fool he was back on Namek and RoF against Toppo.
Zephyr wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:For you guys, maybe. But they are still Z products anyway.
There's no "for us guys", that's simply how it is..
It's not. You're entitled with your opinion, but guess what that's not a fact. Gods of Destruction, Beerus, Whis, Super Saiyan God, other universes, moving without thinking, Golden Freeza and Super Saiyan God Saiyan were all concepts that came originally from Z not Super.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
It's not. You're entitled with your opinion, but guess what that's not a fact. Gods of Destruction, Beerus, Whis, Super Saiyan God, other universes, moving without thinking, Golden Freeza and Super Saiyan God Saiyan were all concepts that came originally from Z not Super.
After Super happened the movies were rewritten and shoved to the separate movie canonvese, which isn't part of the main storyline anymore. In other words, everything in Super is more Super than it'll ever be Z, and that's not just an opinion.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 pm

mute_proxy wrote:After Super happened the movies were rewritten and shoved to the separate movie canonvese, which isn't part of the main storyline anymore. In other words, everything in Super is more Super than it'll ever be Z, and that's not just an opinion.
Question: who is arguing about continuity? I'm not.

And yes, that's an opinion. Is like saying the KintoUn came originally from Z when its from DB. (anime-wise)
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:And yes, that's an opinion. Is like saying the KintoUn came originally from Z when its from DB. (anime-wise)
It's not like saying that because KintoUn is from the same continuity as Z. While the movie events are separate. People are talking about the level of validity, and the so called "main canon" will always be above else.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:It's not. You're entitled with your opinion, but guess what that's not a fact. Gods of Destruction, Beerus, Whis, Super Saiyan God, other universes, moving without thinking, Golden Freeza and Super Saiyan God Saiyan were all concepts that came originally from Z not Super.
That all of those things came from Toriyama's second wind rather than his original run is not an opinion. That is a matter of fact.

What you want to call these two isolated and distinct stretches of creative input by Toriyama is indeed up to personal taste, but they are distinct nonetheless. The man is a professional cartoonist, and only in one of these stretches did he actually draw the entire story.

Whatever names you go with, Z is horribly undescriptive. Relying on branding to denote the demarcation is antithetical to clear communication, because, again, things on both sides of this creative dividing line have been branded with it.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder why they choose to do a movie to follow up Super instead keep on having the show going?
I'm thinking it was at least partially about timing. They needed a place to air the new Gegege no Kitaro that's taking Super's slot, and switching to a movie rather than multiple episodes of a show would (I assume anyway) be somewhat less hectic on the animators/writers/etc. And then they've got a nice break after the movie to start working on preparing it's eventual return (again, I assume), so that they can hit the ground a little more prepared than how they did when Super first started.
I think that this movie is just an excuse to fix their production of Dragon Ball anime. So, when a Dragon Ball show happens, they will be ready unlike Super. They managed to fix some problems but Super was not planned well when it needed to be when it was coming out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise if we get Super back on TV or a new series that they will probably retell the movie again in TV format.
Well, i hope they do serialize it. But i'd be ok if the movie would just be cut in 5 episodes, and reshown how it was, just like an appetizer to restart the series. For me, they don't actually have to spend extra animation budget to completely redo it and make 15 episodes like with BOG or ROF. That has little extra value.
Ya know, i actually think we might just get a recap of the events of the movie with some footage from the movie but with or without a filter and the recap guy explaining what happened.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Ya know, i actually think we might just get a recap of the events of the movie with some footage from the movie but with or without a filter and the recap guy explaining what happened.
That would be interesting to see but that's unlikely to happen.
Majinwarman

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 am

I don't think they'll retell the movie's story in anime form again. I'd hope they've learned from past mistakes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:02 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:I don't think they'll retell the movie's story in anime form again. I'd hope they've learned from past mistakes.
Was it a mistake from a financial point of view ? Keep in mind Toriyama wanted them retold so the same could happen again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:I don't think they'll retell the movie's story in anime form again. I'd hope they've learned from past mistakes.
Was it a mistake from a financial point of view ? Keep in mind Toriyama wanted them retold so the same could happen again.
Well at the time it were two movies and the first one, BoG, was released on 2013 so it makes sense Toriyama wanted it to be retold, and so RoF had to be retold too. Those movies were also still under the Z brand. I hope that if the show continues they won't retell this new movie, it would be a waste of time and it would obviously look worse in the TV version.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm

emperior wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Well at the time it were two movies and the first one, BoG, was released on 2013 so it makes sense Toriyama wanted it to be retold, and so RoF had to be retold too. Those movies were also still under the Z brand. I hope that if the show continues they won't retell this new movie, it would be a waste of time and it would obviously look worse in the TV version.
But, they do want to make sure their viewers see what the movie showed because not everyone watches movies. Those people would be confused if they reference the movie at all.
Majinwarman

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
sintzu wrote:
But, they do want to make sure their viewers see what the movie showed because not everyone watches movies. Those people would be confused if they reference the movie at all.
It will be up to them, but I think it would be silly if they made yet another retelling of a movie because "uh people haven't seen it" - I can understand, to a certain extent, why they did it with the latest two movies but now people who won't watch the movie should just have to watch it to understand what will happen in a future TV show, if that future TV show ever happens of course.

If they always had to retell stories for new viewers to understand what's going on we would never get new material. For example, we never got a Kai version for OG DB so people who want to know more of Goku and Krillin's relationship, of Bulma, Roshi, Tenshinan, Piccolo, Yamcha etc... they have to either buy the manga or the DVDs of the old anime. Toei won't retell that story just because people may be confused, so I don't get why this time they should retell the movie.
I would also like to add that Toriyama probably decided to retell the two movies to change up some things to make the story longer (Goku being 70% of Beerus, for example) and also because Super was the first DB show in 18 years so it made sense some people would have been thrown off to see Beerus and Whis already there and friends of Goku on the first episodes.

If Super comes back as a TV show, it should be set after the movie and have a brief retelling by the narrator of what happened in the movie, possibly with a few scenes from the movie itself if that is possible, and viewers who haven't seen the movie who will want to know more about it will have to buy it - it should be as simple as that.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I never really understood this. If a person is not going to bother to watch an 1 - 2 hour movie, what makes you believe they would watch an arc with at least a dozen episodes?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Helios518 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: Well at the time it were two movies and the first one, BoG, was released on 2013 so it makes sense Toriyama wanted it to be retold, and so RoF had to be retold too. Those movies were also still under the Z brand. I hope that if the show continues they won't retell this new movie, it would be a waste of time and it would obviously look worse in the TV version.
I never really understood this. If a person is not going to bother to watch an 1 - 2 hour movie, what makes you believe they would watch an arc with at least a dozen episodes?
fully agree. At most they should've just gave each movie 2 episodes and be done with it, not 26. If this new movie gets a retelling then hopefully it won't be more than an episode or 2.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.