Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am

LightBing wrote:
Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:Because he has to fight someone in the movie and unless they introduce some sort of villain, the King of Universe 6 Saiyans seems like the best candidate.
Nope, the King has to fight with Vegeta since Cabba build up their encounter.
Vegeta's not the main character. Mr.Toriyama didn't even let him finish Freeza.
Didn't stop him from letting vegeta get black all to himself in the manga even though he was an evil version of Goku.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
There should also be more focus on Vegeta this time. It just makes more sense for the setting. Goku being the focus despite not caring about that Saiyan stuff would just be a waste.
Toriyama said he wanted to do a vegeta centric movie so this could be it but I'm not going to get my hopes up as I did that with Rf and it was anything but that.

He'll probably find a way to give Goku a better connection to the Saiyans than vegeta's like having this Yamaoshi be Goku's great great grandfather or Goku's ancestor being the very first Saiyan and king cause God knows everything has to be about him nowadays.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:56 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
sangofe wrote:Anyone knows what the production time was for Battle of Gods and Ressurection F?
Going by what Watanabe said BoG production began towards the end of 2011 and according to Toriyama F started production in 2013 at the earliest, after BoG's commercial success.
So this new movie probably has shorter production time then.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 am

sangofe wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
sangofe wrote:Anyone knows what the production time was for Battle of Gods and Ressurection F?
Going by what Watanabe said BoG production began towards the end of 2011 and according to Toriyama F started production in 2013 at the earliest, after BoG's commercial success.
Bog and rf were both announced after those dates so this movie has most likely been in production for awhile.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:51 am

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: Going by what Watanabe said BoG production began towards the end of 2011 and according to Toriyama F started production in 2013 at the earliest, after BoG's commercial success.
Bog and rf were both announced after those dates so this movie has most likely been in production for awhile.

If we're going by time between first announcement and premiere, then this movie has the longest production time out of any DB movie. Remember the domain names were bought weeks ago too. BOG and ROF were announced around 8-9 months before they came out in cinema. I assume it's been in the works even longer than that behind the scenes. According to Ajay, a Christmas premiere is a good sign. All major One Piece movies were Christmas premieres.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 am

Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:

If we're going by time between first announcement and premiere, then this movie has the longest production time out of any DB movie. Remember the domain names were bought weeks ago too. BOG and ROF were announced around 8-9 months before they came out in cinema. I assume it's been in the works even longer than that behind the scenes. According to Ajay, a Christmas premiere is a good sign. All major One Piece movies were Christmas premieres.
I think it's safe to say this'll be the best one from a production point , I just hope the story and characters are just as good.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:14 am

sintzu wrote:
Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I think it's safe to say this'll be the best one from a production point , I just hope the story and characters are just as good.
Me too. I still think the movie versions are worlds better than their Super retellings in pretty much every aspect, so I'm hoping for a good story too.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 am

sintzu wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Can't wait for the stupid S-Cells and Yamoshi crap to get brought to the forefront.
I don't like it either but that's probably what the movie is going to revolve around so hopefully it turns out better on the screen than it did in his comments.
Toriyama is the undisputed king of sucking at explaining things, having an entire movie where he's supposedly doing just that is a recipe for disaster. Does no one remember Minus? Having shit concepts like S-Cells and the like get brought in is but the cherry on an impending turd cake.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Can't wait for the stupid S-Cells and Yamoshi crap to get brought to the forefront.
I don't like it either but that's probably what the movie is going to revolve around so hopefully it turns out better on the screen than it did in his comments.
Toriyama is the undisputed king of sucking at explaining things, having an entire movie where he's supposedly doing just that is a recipe for disaster. Does no one remember Minus? Having shit concepts like S-Cells and the like get brought in is but the cherry on an impending turd cake.

Well, hopefully his scripts and directions will be more precise than what they are on Dragon Ball Super. Hopefully...

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am

sangofe wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Well, hopefully his scripts and directions will be more precise than what they are on Dragon Ball Super. Hopefully...
The only good story he's written after the Freeza arc was him shifting around another person's script for, there's literally no chance this isn't a fusion of F & Minus levels of awful.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 am

[Sarcasm] Nice to see people are so very supportive of the series creator branching out into new ideas and concepts and looking forward to what bold new directions can be taken with this franchise that was stagnate less than 10 years prior.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:[Sarcasm] Nice to see people are so very supportive of the series creator branching out into new ideas and concepts and looking forward to what bold new directions can be taken with this franchise that was stagnate less than 10 years prior.
Is going back to the well with the Saiyan past new?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 am

ABED wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:[Sarcasm] Nice to see people are so very supportive of the series creator branching out into new ideas and concepts and looking forward to what bold new directions can be taken with this franchise that was stagnate less than 10 years prior.
It is for this series.

That is, going into the origins of what makes the Saiyans who they are, and how the ones we've come to know and love became the strongest in the Universes. If this new film does indeed delve into the tale of Yamoshi like many speculate, it'd be a chance for the series to return to the more mystical spirituality that permeated the series' original themes.

The entire thematic background behind S-Cells and Yamoshi is that of spiritualism and martial-arts fundamentals, something that has also been brought back with the advent of the Ultra Instinct in the main anime.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am

Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:

I get that Ajay has some knowledge about the animation stuff but he doesn’t know more than we can get ourselves. I know Strong World and Z had "Christmas releases" but Gold was released in the summer but did great but didn’t gain as much as Z, probably because of the narrative.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
ABED wrote:
It is for this series.

That is, going into the origins of what makes the Saiyans who they are, and how the ones we've come to know and love became the strongest in the Universes. If this new film does indeed delve into the tale of Yamoshi like many speculate, it'd be a chance for the series to return to the more mystical spirituality that permeated the series' original themes.

The entire thematic background behind S-Cells and Yamoshi is that of spiritualism and martial-arts fundamentals, something that has also been brought back with the advent of the Ultra Instinct in the main anime.
It was never said to be a Saiyan origin story but:
This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.
I don’t think we’re getting Yamoshi in this movie after this was revealed. I doubt we're getting a movie without Son Gokuh and his friends.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am

ABED wrote:
It is for this series.

That's surface level stuff. It's nothing actually new. We know what makes them special. They have a natural talent and appetite for battle. It may go "deeper", but we have pretty much always known what fundamentally makes them who they are.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am

ABED wrote:
It is for this series.

It really isn't. The Saiyan backstory has been overdone. It was dealt with in the original series, developed even more in Z filler, brought up again in GT and retconned numerous times throughout Toriyama's interviews and Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does no one remember Minus? Having shit concepts like S-Cells and the like get brought in is the cherry on an impending turd cake.
I was really hoping for something original like the old days but now everything seems to revolve around Freeza and the Saiyans so I can't say I'm too surprised about this. I do want to keep a positive outlook as we haven't seen anything yet but I'm not going to get my expectations up too high as Minus didn't turn out good and I don't like the comments he recently made about the Saiyans which will most likely be front and center here but hopefully they turn out better on screen than they did in his words.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:It really isn't. The Saiyan backstory has been overdone. It was dealt with in the original series, developed even more in Z filler, brought up again in GT and retconned numerous times throughout Toriyama's interviews and Super.
Pardon, but I think I lost the track, what was retconned exactly?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Noah wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It really isn't. The Saiyan backstory has been overdone. It was dealt with in the original series, developed even more in Z filler, brought up again in GT and retconned numerous times throughout Toriyama's interviews and Super.
Pardon, but I think I lost the track, what was retconned exactly?
Based on what I've read and seen...... Absolutely NOTHING.

Literally nothing.

From what comments I've seen on the matter, people haven't factored in context clues and/or are unhappy with the new information added.