Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:15 pm

People still under the silly idea that DBS was cancelled? :roll:

Anyway BoG was bad. At least ResF knew what it wanted it be from the start but BoG was awful frankly worst written thing out of modern DB. Cast members got treated like an absolute joke, you don't introduce a character called a God of Destruction and not have him f**king destroy anything (one massive flaw that DBS fixed), writing Goku out the story when it is convenient for him not to be there crappy plot ploy Toriyama used in Z constantly, action never sustaining itself for the audience. There a lot of old Z movies better than BoG imo.

BoG is definitely a product of two visions and you can tell.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People still under the silly idea that DBS was cancelled? :roll:

Anyway BoG was bad. At least ResF knew what it wanted it be from the start but BoG was awful frankly worst written thing out of modern DB. Cast members got treated like an absolute joke, you don't introduce a character called a God of Destruction and not have him f**king destroy anything (one massive flaw that DBS fixed), writing Goku out the story when it is convenient for him not to be there crappy plot ploy Toriyama used in Z constantly, action never sustaining itself for the audience. There a lot of old Z movies better than BoG imo.

How dare you sir. BOG is a GREAT Dragon Ball movie. It had some iffy pacing in places, but the movie was a return of the franchise in a grand fashion. Resurrection F was, frankly, a bad movie. It reintroduced the characters & had a good balance of DB & DBZ's tones, something that GT & the Buu Saga of Z tried to do, but were just off with doing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People still under the silly idea that DBS was cancelled? :roll:

Huh. Most people usually complain about RoF.

Here’s why RoF is worse:

-Redundant plot. Freeza has come back too many times for it to be a real interesting surprise. Lack of a new original villain.

-Lack of REAL tension. Sure. Freeza’s come back. But we have an Angel, a God of Destruction, and Goku. If Goku falls then we have Beerus and Whis that will do something even if they say they dont because they’ve become too attached to the Earth to lose it to someone that annoys them anyway

-Snubbed. “Vegeta gets the wi... SIKE!”. Way to be original and give Vegeta the win for once after he has a surprise new form... oh wait.

-Lack of lore. Every DB movie has given us a look into new lore from the db world. Especially BoGs with the Destroyers, Angels, SSGod legend and all that. All this gave us was the fact that Freeza is an asspuller. Thats even worse since its canon

-Lack of scenery. BoG’s gave us Beerus’s planet, Bulma’s birthday place, space, a cave, a forest, and the city for Beerus vs Goku. RoF just gave us one place for Freeza vs Goku.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 pm

What are the odds that Goku will be the main star of this movie?

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm

shadd21 wrote:What are the odds that Goku will be the main star of this movie?
High. He is the main character but some movies did focus on Goten, Trunks, and Gohan.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Unfortunately, very high. But one can only hope they forget Goku a little bit, after all, this is a movie about Saiyans' origins and their power, a subject that has nothing to do with Goku. If Goku has to appear, let it be at the end of the movie, where they can use him to explain the latest transformations.

Logical sense tells us that we need Saiyans from the past to explain stuff from the past, unless, of course, they want to throw present stuff down our throats to explain past stuff, which would be terrible in every possible way.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm

The chances of him not being the star are as high as pigs flying.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 am

How soon can we expect news on the film?

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

shadd21 wrote:How soon can we expect news on the film?
March 22nd-25h.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 pm

How does everyone seem to know this movie will be about the origin of the Saiyans?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

jollyr wrote:How does everyone seem to know this movie will be about the origin of the Saiyans?
Maybe not the origins of the Saiyans overall, but we know that the movie's focus will be on why the Saiyans are so strong.

Delving into the origins of where this power comes from naturally leads to the conclusion that we'll be exploring the earlier days of Saiyan history, especially with the advent of Toriyama's reveal of Yamoshi and his role in Universe 7's Saiyan lore.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am

Toriyama having complete control on the movie is very worrying. I hope he was guided into an idea from Toei at the least.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 am

Indeed, having solely Toriyama on control is a horrifying thought/idea. I think if it depends entirely on Toriyama, he would skip/forget major events like the Tsufurujin sub-plot or characters like King Vegeta himself (I credit Toei for his appearance in Movie 14, I don't think Toriyama remembered him at all) and other stuff that should be in the movie. Toei has to be deeply involved so that at least they try to include them/remember Toriyama stuff.

At this point, we should also expect Toriyama not to introduce a new Saiyan transformation for Goku somehow.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am

Grimlock wrote: At this point, we should also expect Toriyama not to introduce a new Saiyan transformation for Goku somehow.
Ssjg and Ssjb were introduced one after the other so although I don't think we'll get one this soon after UI, I wouldn't be surprised if we did either.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 am

I wouldn't be surprised too, that's why I consider this possibility. After so many transformations for Saiyans in just a short period of time, one can only hope they don't do it in the next movie.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 am

Grimlock wrote:After so many transformations for Saiyans in just a short period of time, one can only hope they don't do it in the next movie.
The problem is these forms are big $$$ makers, so much so that UI got announced for the games before even showing up in the anime. It's like the anime is made to market the games and not the other way around.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 am

sintzu wrote:The problem is these forms are big $$$ makers, so much so that UI got announced for the games before even showing up in the anime.
In Xenoverse case, I'm pretty sure they would add the Ultra Instinct -Sign- version, then Dimps learned about its mastering version and as soon as they saw that it would be the same just with a silver hair, they changed it in the game. But it's not that it came first for the games, it's just that they knew the form would appear in the V-Jump issue so they took advantage of that and also presented it for XV2. If it hadn't been the case, then probably we would learn that XV2 would have the latest form in this trailer they've just released.
sintzu wrote:It's like the anime is made to market the games and not the other way around.
Well, considering that the games have become more interesting than the main series, it's only fair that the anime promotes the games now. :P

~ War of the Dinobots ~

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

Grimlock wrote:
sintzu wrote:The problem is these forms are big $$$ makers, so much so that UI got announced for the games before even showing up in the anime.
In Xenoverse case, I'm pretty sure they would add the Ultra Instinct -Sign- version, then Dimps learned about its mastering version and as soon as they saw that it would be the same just with a silver hair, they changed it in the game. But it's not that it came first for the games, it's just that they knew the form would appear in the V-Jump issue so they took advantage of that and also presented it for XV2. If it hadn't been the case, then probably we would learn that XV2 would have the latest form in this trailer they've just released.
sintzu wrote:It's like the anime is made to market the games and not the other way around.
Well, considering that the games have become more interesting than the main series, it's only fair that the anime promotes the games now. :P
The main series (and especially the manga) still draws the most profits, so that's a ridiculous assumption.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 pm

kn83 wrote:The main series (and especially the manga) still draws the most profits, so that's a ridiculous assumption.
This reply is towards which text of mine? The upper one? If so, then I don't think it's ridiculous, it's as much of a possibility as any other possibility. The lower one? If so, then it's not an assumption, it's kinda fact. The fact that the main series draws more profits doesn't mean it has more quality/brings awesome content and such.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Grimlock wrote:In Xenoverse case, I'm pretty sure they would add the Ultra Instinct -Sign- version, then Dimps learned about its mastering version and as soon as they saw that it would be the same just with a silver hair, they changed it in the game. But it's not that it came first for the games, it's just that they knew the form would appear in the V-Jump issue so they took advantage of that and also presented it for XV2.
Regardless of what the reason was, the story should come first and that's where we should've seen it first, not a leaked image in a heroes card then xv2. There are already suspensions that some of the story points are made for merchandise and games so this doesn't help at all.

I understand that merchandise and games are what bring in the $$$ but DB was always a story first and last, something that never should've changed as the story was strong enough to move merch and games so there's no reaosn to think it wouldn't be now.