Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:58 am

It won't surprise me if we don't see Goku and the others in this movie. This movie will probably be set in the past for the whole movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
GreatJaiyaman wrote:Theory. What if Yamoshi was from universe 6, and he was a Super Saiyan 4 before Super Saiyan God, he decides that Ss4 is too savage like oozaru and they cant control themselves in Ss4, so eventually discovers Super Saiyan God as something more stable, and gets the super dragonballs to wish away the tails of the universe 6 saiyans. Wacky i know, but i guess I'm just a Ss4 fanboy :D
Sounds like my theory that SSJ4 is the true mastered form of the original Super Saiyan. In the (dub) flashback, Vegeta says that the Original SSJ could only control it in the "Transformed state" aka Great Ape. Meaning the original SSJ = Golden Great Ape. However, he couldnt control himself and basically self-destructed. My theory is that had he controlled himself, he would have become SSJ4.

And yeah this is going by added dub dialogue but oh well. I'm a SSJ4 fanboy too lol
I would love to see Ss4 in modern dragonball, even if it was a quick cameo
VegettoEX is a snowflake

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise me if we don't see Goku and the others in this movie. This movie will probably be set in the past for the whole movie.
Lol, Goku's definitely gonna make at least a cameo. :lol:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am

GreatJaiyaman wrote:Theory. What if Yamoshi was from universe 6, and he was a Super Saiyan 4 before Super Saiyan God, he decides that Ss4 is too savage like oozaru and they cant control themselves in Ss4, so eventually discovers Super Saiyan God as something more stable, and gets the super dragonballs to wish away the tails of the universe 6 saiyans. Wacky i know, but i guess I'm just a Ss4 fanboy :D
Well, most of this is untrue.

Yamoshi was the first Super Saiyan, the one told of in Universe 7 legend, and he somehow enabled the creation of SSG after he died when his spirit began wandering in search of 6 righteous Saiyans for a new saviour: Super Saiyan God.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:46 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Well, most of this is untrue.

Yamoshi was the first Super Saiyan, the one told of in Universe 7 legend, and he somehow enabled the creation of SSG after he died when his spirit began wandering in search of 6 righteous Saiyans for a new saviour: Super Saiyan God.
I know, just thinking outside the box. I hope they at least tie Yamoshi to Beerus premonition, maybe this new movie could serve as a prequal or lead in to Battle of Gods
VegettoEX is a snowflake

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It won't surprise me if we don't see Goku and the others in this movie. This movie will probably be set in the past for the whole movie.
Goku and Vegeta are going to be front and center here. There's no way they're going to put in so much $$$ and effort into this only to leave out the franchise's biggest draw, especially with the show ending. Leaving Goku out would be franchise suicide.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

sintzu wrote:
Goku and Vegeta are going to be front and center here. There's no way they're going to put in so much $$$ and effort into this only to leave out the franchise's biggest draw, especially with the show ending. Leaving Goku out would be franchise suicide.
You can set it in the past and make the protagonist conveniently look like Goku. Make him Goku's ancestor for good measure and ruin the character even more while you're at it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm

A knock off Goku would only make me question why we can't have the real one. It's like offering your guests some Marshmallow Mateys when they know you have an equally fresh box of Lucky Charms sitting right next to it in the cupboard. (Or Cocoa Peanut Butter Spheres in place of Reese's Puffs).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:36 pm

They could do something similar to Atsumare! Goku's World with Goku and the others going back in time to see the origins of the Saiyans.
She/Her

King13s

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Chuquita wrote:A knock off Goku would only make me question why we can't have the real one. It's like offering your guests some Marshmallow Mateys when they know you have an equally fresh box of Lucky Charms sitting right next to it in the cupboard. (Or Cocoa Peanut Butter Spheres in place of Reese's Puffs).
That reference on poor people in the US will understand. Hit me good man.

Unfortunately I think that's what we're going to get. A reason why "low class" Saiyans look like that is probably what's going to happen. And dear lord is this the only thread I've ever seen that is hyped for SS4!

Don't get me wrong, I love SS4 more than any DBZ/Super form. Maybe cause I was a Dragon Ball fanboy and love that the Lord Piccolo fight finally paid off.

In the end I think it's going to be something out of left field and involve time travel again, because that cannot be abused enough.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 pm

King13s wrote:
Chuquita wrote:A knock off Goku would only make me question why we can't have the real one. It's like offering your guests some Marshmallow Mateys when they know you have an equally fresh box of Lucky Charms sitting right next to it in the cupboard. (Or Cocoa Peanut Butter Spheres in place of Reese's Puffs).
That reference on poor people in the US will understand. Hit me good man.

Unfortunately I think that's what we're going to get. A reason why "low class" Saiyans look like that is probably what's going to happen. And dear lord is this the only thread I've ever seen that is hyped for SS4!

Don't get me wrong, I love SS4 more than any DBZ/Super form. Maybe cause I was a Dragon Ball fanboy and love that the Lord Piccolo fight finally paid off.

In the end I think it's going to be something out of left field and involve time travel again, because that cannot be abused enough.
An international example? Sony earbuds vs Coby earbuds? Is Coby still around?

I only picked something local because it's easy for me to name different brands.

I'm currently not that interested in the upcoming movie; I'm only peeking in on and off until I get confirmation about if Goku and friends are in it or not, just in case my suspicion is wrong.

I'm under the impression this'll be an all original characters movie and if that's the case I won't be bothering with it. But if I'm wrong about the characters involved, I want to know.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49 am

Seems like a weird idea for a movie tbh. I feel like something without the main characters only make sense for a TV Special.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
For the description of the movie they keep saying “the origins of Goku and the saiyans power”. I’m betting that we’ll go from Yamoshi to Bardock to Goku and co. Heck, maybe the whole story is actually brought up when Goku and Vegeta potential visit Planet Sadala of Universe 6. But who would be the “antagonist”?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:05 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
For the description of the movie they keep saying “the origins of Goku and the saiyans power”. I’m betting that we’ll go from Yamoshi to Bardock to Goku and co. Heck, maybe the whole story is actually brought up when Goku and Vegeta potential visit Planet Sadala of Universe 6. But who would be the “antagonist”?
No one, it's going to be a documentary :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 am

I see people believe in the theory that Yamoshi was killed by a demon since his soul may not went to Other World.
She/Her

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm

With Toei cancelling DBS I surely hope that Dragon Ball Z 2018 movie will go above and beyond because BoG and RF weren't that good, IMO. It didn't top Wrath of the Dragon for me.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:With Toei cancelling DBS I surely hope that Dragon Ball Z 2018 movie will go above and beyond because BoG and RF weren't that good, IMO. It didn't top Wrath of the Dragon for me.
RoF, I can understand, but BoG?

Hmm..... now THAT'S a minority DB opinion, considering that BoG was the start of the rebirth of DB in the modern era and a landmark in the franchise's storytelling and lore.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:With Toei cancelling DBS I surely hope that Dragon Ball Z 2018 movie will go above and beyond because BoG and RF weren't that good, IMO. It didn't top Wrath of the Dragon for me.

Hmm..... now THAT'S a minority DB opinion, considering that BoG was the start of the rebirth of DB in the modern era and a landmark in the franchise's storytelling and lore.
That doesn't mean it was good, though. You can give it all the credit you think it deserves for reviving DB, but it was a lackluster 90 minutes.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

8bitdee wrote:

That doesn't mean it was good, though. You can give it all the credit you think it deserves for reviving DB, but it was a lackluster 90 minutes.
Another person holds that opinion. I'm always surprised to see it, given how often it's relegated to ranters on comments sections.

I genuinely think it's one of the best all-around DB films ever produced, and not just because it helped bring the franchise out of retirement. It had genuine character, charm, development, and real personality all throughout; this in addition to really expanding the lore of the franchise and shaking up the tried-and-true formula of Goku and the gang winning the day against the next villain.

I think following in this film's example is for the best, since most other DB films I've seen are just..... eh. They don't really grab me with the kind of charm and character intrigue that BoG gave me.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:54 pm

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F have their flaws, the latter less so, but both are significantly better than any of the movies prior to it.