Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 am

sintzu wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why Disney?
Disney just bought Fox who own the feature film rights in North America and maybe elsewhere.

Give it another ten years and they will own the franchise outright 8)
If someone else bought Fox then Marvel's X-men would go back to Marvel so why wouldn't DB's rights go back to Shueisha ?

DB ? they'll buy Shueisha and get that alongside everything else. If they want to get into Japan, that's the way to do it. The only problem is that they'll kill off every classic anime character and replace them (and everyone working on them) with SJWs like what they've done with Marvel. I also haven't read anything good about their star wars so I want them and anime to be as faaaaaaaaar apart as possible.
The characters would all turn into sardonic wisecrackers at random.

Goku sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Goku sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 am

December? My god.
Why disney.
“Death by a god of death, this may be a proud moment.”

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Goku sama wrote:December? My god.
Why disney.
Disney has nothing to do with it as they're not the ones making the movie. Toei released One Piece's last 2 movies there so they might do that with DB's moving forward.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why Disney?
Disney just bought Fox who own the feature film rights in North America and maybe elsewhere.

If someone else bought Fox then Marvel's X-men would go back to Marvel so why wouldn't DB's rights go back to Shueisha ?

DB ? they'll buy Shueisha and get that alongside everything else. If they want to get into Japan, that's the way to do it. The only problem is that they'll kill off every classic anime character and replace them (and everyone working on them) with SJWs like what they've done with Marvel. I also haven't read anything good about their star wars so I want them and anime to be as faaaaaaaaar apart as possible.
These are case-by-case individual contracts between companies, not universal laws. We don't know whether Disney has the rights or not, but it's very much possible. Especially seeing how Fox made sure they even got the first-offer rights to animated movies, not just live-action so yeah, seems they got themselves covered pretty well in the contract

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but if DB Minus isn't part of the movie, I could see Toei animating it as a short TV special to hype up the movie.

I also hope there will be a worldwide release in December. They could make so much money by airing it in the same day it airs in Japan, and with proper marketing this could be the highest grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 pm

emperior wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but if DB Minus isn't part of the movie, I could see Toei animating it as a short TV special to hype up the movie.

I also hope there will be a worldwide release in December. They could make so much money by airing it in the same day it airs in Japan, and with proper marketing this could be the highest grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
Not to mention with Disney's enormous influence and distribution network... Easy $200m in my opinion with an actual global release for holidays

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Basaku wrote:
emperior wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but if DB Minus isn't part of the movie, I could see Toei animating it as a short TV special to hype up the movie.

Not to mention with Disney's enormous influence and distribution network... Easy $200m in my opinion with an actual global release for holidays
I wouldn’t count on this movie making $200 million. I can’t imagine it getting a high profile release in America or Europe.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
I wouldn’t count on this movie making $200 million. I can’t imagine it getting a high profile release in America or Europe.
That's why I said proper worldwide release. I'm not counting on it that much either BUT, if Disney has the rights and they decide they want to go all in on the movie's release then they would have absolutely ZERO issues launching DB everywhere with big marketing and all. And really, there is a market for it. DB is or was hugely popular in most of America, Europe and Asia. It's on Toei (and Fox) for not taking full advantage of it, taking weeks/months to push BOG and ROF in other countries, doing limited releases etc. And yet, the numbers were still 50m/60m for each respectively. So a proper worldwide release could definitely bring a 200m number in today's worldwide cinema market

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Basaku wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
That's why I said proper worldwide release. I'm not counting on it that much either BUT, if Disney has the rights and they decide they want to go all in on the movie's release then they would have absolutely ZERO issues launching DB everywhere with big marketing and all. And really, there is a market for it. DB is or was hugely popular in most of America, Europe and Asia. It's on Toei (and Fox) for not taking full advantage of it, taking weeks/months to push BOG and ROF in other countries, doing limited releases etc. And yet, the numbers were still 50m/60m for each respectively. So a proper worldwide release could definitely bring a 200m number in today's worldwide cinema market
It would certainly be interesting to have a high profile Dragon Ball release in North America, but I feel like it wouldn’t do much better than the My Little Pony movie that was recently released.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm

WittyUsername wrote: It would certainly be interesting to have a high profile Dragon Ball release in North America, but I feel like it wouldn’t do much better than the My Little Pony movie that was recently released.
Perhaps, but seeing how ROF did 8mill with much more limited release than Pony movie (and tons of lost ticket sales due to delayed release versus Japan), I think the potential is there.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Noah wrote:
Why Disney?

Correction: Disney only bought the Fox film properties excluding the TV business (News/Sports).

FUNimation has been 95% owned by Sony. So expect the film to be released under the Columbia Pictures and Walt Disney/Fox banners anytime son.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm

If they ever want a proper US release and distribution they better step up their game because none of the DBZ/S movies have been worth the price of admission just yet.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:If they ever want a proper US release and distribution they better step up their game because none of the DBZ/S movies have been worth the price of admission just yet.
What were their (BOG/RF) prices compared to other movies of the same length ?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 am

sintzu wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:If they ever want a proper US release and distribution they better step up their game because none of the DBZ/S movies have been worth the price of admission just yet.
It aint even about ticket prices (which never go much higher/lower than standard). Months of delay, limited theatre selection etc. Everyone knows what it means (piracy and lost ticket sales) except for Toei which apparently think it's still 1970s and people will wait months for theatrical relase in the internet age.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am

Basaku wrote:
sintzu wrote:
It aint even about ticket prices (which never go much higher/lower than standard). Months of delay, limited theatre selection etc. Everyone knows what it means (piracy and lost ticket sales) except for Toei which apparently think it's still 1970s and people will wait months for theatrical relase in the internet age.
They're very old style for some reason but hopefully that'll change as they'd get a lot of $$$ form giving this a wide release.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 am

Basaku wrote:
sintzu wrote:
You are absolutely right. If they still stick to the "release first in Japan and then rest of the world after some months" mentality, they will be damaging themselves. With proper marketing and worldwide release, they could make so much more money. Let's hope they will do it, because I would rather avoid spoilers and it will be difficult if the movie gets released to my country some months later.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

emperior wrote:You are absolutely right. If they still stick to the "release first in Japan and then rest of the world after some months" mentality, they will be damaging themselves. With proper marketing and worldwide release, they could make so much more money. Let's hope they will do it, because I would rather avoid spoilers and it will be difficult if the movie gets released to my country some months later.
It should be released worldwide (where they usually release anime movies) within the same week as DB is now big enough to get that kind of release as people will run to it with the right marketing.

It's the franchise's 20th movie, it revolves around Saiyans, it's written by Toriyama & may be coming off the end of Super which has been very popular so there's no reason to think not enough people will go out and see it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 am

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:You are absolutely right. If they still stick to the "release first in Japan and then rest of the world after some months" mentality, they will be damaging themselves. With proper marketing and worldwide release, they could make so much more money. Let's hope they will do it, because I would rather avoid spoilers and it will be difficult if the movie gets released to my country some months later.
It should be released worldwide (where they usually release anime movies) within the same week as DB is now big enough to get that kind of release as people will run to it with the right marketing.

It's the franchise's 20th movie, it revolves around Saiyans, it's written by Toriyama & may be coming off the end of Super which has been very popular so there's no reason to think not enough people will go out and see it.
It is Toei though if a brand new DB series wasn't legalised outside of Japan for 1.5 years who knows what they're plan for international licenses for the movie are. Ideally I'd take a ResF Japan have it December and international start to get it from Spring onwards, a couple months after. Obviously take a simultaneous release but I don't see it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is Toei though if a brand new DB series wasn't legalised outside of Japan for 1.5 years who knows what they're plan for international licenses for the movie are.
That's Toei for you, when they're good they're the best but my god can they mess up sometimes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is Toei though if a brand new DB series wasn't legalised outside of Japan for 1.5 years who knows what they're plan for international licenses for the movie are.
That's Toei for you, when they're good they're the best but my god can they mess up sometimes.
ResF movie they had the premiere in America, talking about how they recognized the international audience blah blah but then waited 1.5 years to legalise DBS... This company man. A love hate relationship alright.