Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:I'm keen to find out what the film will be branded as. Just 'Dragon Ball' or 'Dragon Ball Super'. It would be a little strange if it comes under the Z banner.
It’s 100% gonna be a Dragon Ball Z movie. Z is more marketable than Super

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am

Meshack wrote:It’s 100% gonna be a Dragon Ball Z movie. Z is more marketable than Super
I don't think so. (Not the part that is more marketable which is obvious), but I'm sure Toei would be willing to give Super its first movie installment.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 am

Noah wrote:
Meshack wrote:It’s 100% gonna be a Dragon Ball Z movie. Z is more marketable than Super
I don't think so. (Not the part that is more marketable which is obvious), but I'm sure Toei would be willing to give Super its first movie installment.
Super has been playing internationally so there's no reason to still stick with Z as people have been watching it all over and know it's Z's sequel.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 am

Noah wrote:
Keep thinking that

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 am

sintzu wrote:
Noah wrote:
Super has been playing internationally so there's no reason to still stick with Z as people have been watching it all over and know it's Z's sequel.
Okay

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Is there any chance for this movie to have a worldwide release around the same time as the Japanese release?

I feel like they would waste a big chance by not releasing the movie in the same period in other countries.
Dragon Ball is huge outside of Japan, they surely would lose money because of people pirating the movie or getting themselves spoiled online, which means those people wouldn't go watch it in their countries once it is released there.
And by releasing the movie worldwide, there would be much more hype around it and Dragon Ball's brand would surely benefit from it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote:I'm keen to find out what the film will be branded as. Just 'Dragon Ball' or 'Dragon Ball Super'. It would be a little strange if it comes under the Z banner.
I've been saying that for a while. So it will be Super as usual.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Can we get a film that is not focused on saiyans?They are done to death.
Modern DB as a whole has been heavily focused on them and Freeza so although I'd like something completely new, I think we're going to be stuck with them for awhile.
True same as here. I hope some more people would get Saiyan fatigue since the next arc is most likely going to be Planet sadal,then may be we would see something new.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:30 am

Hawk9211 wrote:I hope some more people would get Saiyan fatigue since the next arc is most likely going to be Planet sadal,then may be we would see something new.
The manga was always doing something new which included the saiyans and Freeza but unlike now they were just a part in a bigger picture and when they were done something completely new took over.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 am

sintzu wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I hope some more people would get Saiyan fatigue since the next arc is most likely going to be Planet sadal,then may be we would see something new.
The manga was always doing something new which included the saiyans and Freeza but unlike now they were just a part in a bigger picture and when they were done something completely new took over.
No,I would disagree the only that was hyped is the saiyan race.Namekians were half assed,we still don’t know what happened to namek years ago while we have two endings to planet vegeta(I am counting minus and bardock special)

Saiyans were called the strongest race while an average namekian warrior was stronger than average saiyan and in top of that they had mystical abilities,but how much focus namekians got outside of namek and a through away line in saiyan arc?

I am only comparing namekians because other races didn’t even get the treatment of nameks.After freeza arc the narrative changed to power,piccolo didn’t even used the abilities he used in 23 tournament and guess what saiyans were all about power.

Now,I don’t want to get in detail but at end of manga piccolo(the most powerful non saiyan) was barely in top five protagonists.I say barely because if we include future trunks he doesn’t come in top five.He also doesn’t seem to get much stronger on the other hand saiyans seem to have limitless potential.

Then comes super and we come to know about super saiyan god from namekian book of legends which ironically doesn’t have anything about namekians.I could write a few more paragraphs how saiyans were put in limelight at sake of the theme of story and how non saiyans were artificially removed after namek,but that’s it for now.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 am

Hawk9211 wrote:I would disagree the only that was hyped is the saiyan race.
What I mean by new is that once the story of Freeza and the Saiyans was over, it moved onto somrthing new such as the androids,Cell & everything to do with Buu.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:15 am

sintzu wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I would disagree the only that was hyped is the saiyan race.
What I mean by new is that once the story of Freeza and the Saiyans was over, it moved onto somrthing new such as the androids,Cell & everything to do with Buu.
No it doesn't in a certain sense.The cell saga starts with saiyan coming from future,highlights saiyans getting super saiyan and even beyond and ends with saiyan achieving another form.
In buu saga,a demon is released by power of two saiyans,then the fate of world is left to two children and a guy that stopped training for years,the most powerful powerful character is result of two characters,the end is slightly different but again focused on saiyans.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going DB 2018 Movie Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Can this title be changed to "Official On-Going DBZ 2018 Movie Thread"? It fits in with the other two titles from Jacob's other threads for BoG and Ro'F'.
I would wait a little longer, but... No particular reason to maintain it like that. So yeah, just to fit the other two threads... It's done. Gotta say, I'm very happy I got to be the one who created the next movie thread. 8)

Anyways, I was skimming through those threads, and I noticed a lot of people there hasn't appeared here yet. I wonder why.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:03 pm

There's also another possibility - new branding alltogether, neither Z or Super. By late 2018, Super would be up to ~170+ episodes. Not necessarily sure they want to keep exploring this period for that long. Another series (post-EOZ for example) could be slated for early 2018 with new subtitle and the movie could basically serve as an ad for the new 'era'.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm

After Universe Survival saga ends, I surely don't want anything else taking place in this "10 years of peace"; Tarble, Beerus, Golden Freeza, Champa, Future Trunks, Tournament... That's enough!

As we approach AGE 784, they should just stop for a little bit (when it comes to new content) and adapt Neko Majin, making it canonical somehow, adapt Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman and Dragon Ball Minus (hoping Toei makes it better, just like the TV Specials). Then, some (interesting) filler episodes, so that finally a new saga arrives, to tie-in with the new movie.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Grimlock wrote:After Universe Survival saga ends, I surely don't want anything else taking place in this "10 years of peace"; Tarble, Beerus, Golden Freeza, Champa, Future Trunks, Tournament... That's enough!

Tarble does not exist in this continuity.
As we approach AGE 784, they should just stop for a little bit (when it comes to new content) and adapt Neko Majin, making it canonical somehow, adapt Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman and Dragon Ball Minus (hoping Toei makes it better, just like the TV Specials). Then, some (interesting) filler episodes, so that finally a new saga arrives, to tie-in with the new movie.
I'm all in about Neko Majin, but Minus? God please, no. I rather have episodes of Chichi daily life instead.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:31 pm

I would love things to move on finally but at this stage, I would predict another arc within the 10-year-gap as VERY likely. Not only was it said in recent interviews that no 'end' (as in setting Super up to smoothly transition into EOZ) has been decided yet, but it's quite apparent in the show itself.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Noah wrote:Tarble does not exist in this continuity.
As I consider Movie 14 over the retellings, he does.
I'm all in about Neko Majin, but Minus? God please, no. I rather have episodes of Chichi daily life instead.
Yes, Dragon Ball Minus. After seeing that Toei can handle TV Specials, if they adapt it like one, I'm pretty confident Toei can make Dragon Ball Minus better.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Grimlock wrote:As I consider Movie 14 over the retellings, he does.

That's headcanon only.
After seeing that Toei can handle TV Specials, if they adapt it like one, I'm pretty confident Toei can make Dragon Ball Minus better.
The staff is not the same as in 1990 when the Bardock TV Special was released, so I highly doubt so.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Noah wrote:That's headcanon only.
Not quite. Since there are three continuities to follow, I choose Toriyama's one when it comes to the earliest part.
Noah wrote:The staff is not the same as in 1990 when the Bardock TV Special was released, so I highly doubt so.
True. But I have faith they can adapt it wonderfully and make it better. Surely Toei wouldn't stick with what is seen in the manga, they would certainly add their own bits to fill in the events and expand what is seen. If those bits show us more of Saiyans, and if the expanded scenes (like showing more of kid Raditz) were great, then Dragon Ball Minus would certainly be cooler.

~ Day of the Machines ~