Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is Toei though if a brand new DB series wasn't legalised outside of Japan for 1.5 years who knows what they're plan for international licenses for the movie are.
That's Toei for you, when they're good they're the best but my god can they mess up sometimes.
ResF movie they had the premiere in America, talking about how they recognized the international audience blah blah but then waited 1.5 years to legalise DBS... This company man. A love hate relationship alright.
Hopefully they are smart enough to recognize how big Dragon Ball is overseas, and how much spoilers/piracy could hurt their movie revenue.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Woah, this movie may actually look good. Rumor that the yearly October Precure movie will be all CG means a bunch of 2D animators just got freed up: https://mobile.twitter.com/aers00/statu ... 8712719360
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

That might be good news, I didn't like it much the CGI on the latest movies.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 pm

I agree, I wasn't a fan of the cgi in BOG or F.

Precure should be fine though with a cgi movie; their cgi is generally very good.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

So now that this Super hiatus is officially a thing, I get the feeling that the conclusion of the Universe Survival arc will lead into this new movie.

Maybe Vegeta does indeed end up wishing Universe 6 back, then that will lead into this next film being a Planet Sadala adventure that explores the origins of the Saiyans.

Or Maybe the arc ends without leading into anything, and this new film is just it’s own standalone thing. It could really be anything.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am

emperior wrote:Hopefully they are smart enough to recognize how big Dragon Ball is overseas, and how much spoilers/piracy could hurt their movie revenue.
They should do. More than half of Resurrection F's Box Office came from outside of Japan.

With Battle of Gods it seemed to to take forever to come out in other countries. It took over a year and half until the US got it. It only took about 4 months for Resurrection F though which is why it did so much better.

Hopefully there would be even less of a delay with this one because that would help it even more.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:So now that this Super hiatus is officially a thing, I get the feeling that the conclusion of the Universe Survival arc will lead into this new movie.

Maybe Vegeta does indeed end up wishing Universe 6 back, then that will lead into this next film being a Planet Sadala adventure that explores the origins of the Saiyans.

Or Maybe the arc ends without leading into anything, and this new film is just it’s own standalone thing. It could really be anything.
I feel like it'll be this. Between Vegeta's desire to visit Sadala and the movie being focused on Saiyans, it'd make sense, and his understanding of Universe 7 Saiyan history could be used to explore the origin of their race's power or whatever by contrasting it with what that Sadala is like.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm

I do wonder if Fox still has the DB movie rights overseas since BOG and ROF also had 20th Century Fox logo and opening to them? With Fox now being own by Disney, would Funimation still have the same contract with them or not?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 pm

If this movie is set after super then we'll probably see Goku use UI but do you think Vegeta will use his royal blue form he just got ? I'm asking because chances are it wasn't from Toriyama.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I do wonder if Fox still has the DB movie rights overseas since BOG and ROF also had 20th Century Fox logo and opening to them? With Fox now being own by Disney, would Funimation still have the same contract with them or not?
Fox won't be owned by Disney for at least 17 months.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am

sintzu wrote:If this movie is set after super then we'll probably see Goku use UI but do you think Vegeta will use his royal blue form he just got ? I'm asking because chances are it wasn't from Toriyama.
Isnt this the movie that is the saiyan origin story?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
sintzu wrote:If this movie is set after super then we'll probably see Goku use UI but do you think Vegeta will use his royal blue form he just got ? I'm asking because chances are it wasn't from Toriyama.
Isnt this the movie that is the saiyan origin story?
It could just tie into an overall plot and not be completely set in the past as that would prevent them from using Goku, something I highly doubt they'll do as fans wouldn't want the new movie in 3+ years to not have him.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Since Super is apparently ending soon, I wonder if Dragon Ball films are going to start becoming an annual thing. After all, Dragon Ball right now is too popular to simply stop releasing new content altogether.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:After all, Dragon Ball right now is too popular to simply stop releasing new content altogether.
I don't think so, it's not like the franchise is gonna get much weaker without animated content. We survived 17 years without it. I think it would be nice if they gave us a couple of years to absorb the 131 episodes of Super before intending to do new series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 pm

If the movie is out in December, I guess Funimation will probably release it in March or April 2019. It would be cool if Toei release the movie in the US and Japan at the same time, but that would never happen.
She/Her

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If the movie is out in December, I guess Funimation will probably release it in March or April 2019.
They'd be missing out on soooooooo much $$$ by waiting that long. If huge blockbusters can get same day worldwide releases then there's no reaosn DB can't get something similar where it's popular.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am

sintzu wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If the movie is out in December, I guess Funimation will probably release it in March or April 2019.
They'd be missing out on soooooooo much $$$ by waiting that long. If huge blockbusters can get same day worldwide releases then there's no reaosn DB can't get something similar where it's popular.
I mean they have to dub it first. Relax

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

It takes time to dub and market the movies. We got ROF like 4 or 5 months after it came out in Japan.
She/Her

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
I mean, the dub will come. Considering how early we got Resurrection F dubbed & released over here, I imagine that it'll maybe be a similar timeframe. dubs take a bit to cast, rewrite the translated lines to be coherent in whatever the new language is, & other things. Plus, the major factor here, reverse importation being something that Japanese companies HATE their Japanese customers doing because it means less money for them, so there's a bit of built in lag time for overseas releases. Plus, FUNi's not a company that consistently puts the films they dub into theaters. It's just been the last few DB movies & the last One Piece movie, from what I know of. They focus on streaming & home releases mainly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I mean, the dub will come. Considering how early we got Resurrection F dubbed & released over here, I imagine that it'll maybe be a similar timeframe. dubs take a bit to cast, rewrite the translated lines to be coherent in whatever the new language is, & other things. Plus, the major factor here, reverse importation being something that Japanese companies HATE their Japanese customers doing because it means less money for them, so there's a bit of built in lag time for overseas releases. Plus, FUNi's not a company that consistently puts the films they dub into theaters. It's just been the last few DB movies & the last One Piece movie, from what I know of. They focus on streaming & home releases mainly.
They have a separate film division "FUNimation films" they've released a fair few films other than DB and such.