Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:26 pm

sintzu wrote:
Grimlock wrote:After so many transformations for Saiyans in just a short period of time, one can only hope they don't do it in the next movie.
The problem is these forms are big $$$ makers, so much so that UI got announced for the games before even showing up in the anime. It's like the anime is made to market the games and not the other way around.
Well, if you actually know how marketing works for a Japanese company adapting a manga into an anime, many anime shows & movies are made to profit off of the success of the manga & make it more well known so they can generate more revenue based on merch sales. That's even the case for a manga, but that's not dissimilar to a US comic book run. Dragon Ball Super's a similar case, but it doesn't have a manga as it's basis, since the manga's an entirely separate entity meant to drum up interest in the show.
I am wondering how much of a profit Toei makes on the games, however, compared to the companies that make & distribute them, though. aia get that they're the ones who hand out the license, but Bandai Namco is the one who dictates which companies make the games.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:If you actually know how marketing works for a Japanese company adapting a manga into an anime, many anime shows & movies are made to profit off of the success of the manga & make it more well known so they can generate more revenue based on merch sales.
My issue isn't with them wanting to make $$$, it's that they're putting the merchandise above the anime which is the main product (supposedly). They should've held off on showing Goku's new form until after the episode aired as that should be the main place to see it but instead XV2 and heroes will be.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Grimlock wrote:
kn83 wrote:The main series (and especially the manga) still draws the most profits, so that's a ridiculous assumption.
This reply is towards which text of mine? The upper one? If so, then I don't think it's ridiculous, it's as much of a possibility as any other possibility. The lower one? If so, then it's not an assumption, it's kinda fact. The fact that the main series draws more profits doesn't mean it has more quality/brings awesome content and such.
The games only exist because of the content of the series itself. The anime is first and foremost the main product whether you like or not.

Besides Fighterz, budokai 3, xenoverse 2, heroes and a few others, most DB games are average and have weak original stories.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If you actually know how marketing works for a Japanese company adapting a manga into an anime, many anime shows & movies are made to profit off of the success of the manga & make it more well known so they can generate more revenue based on merch sales.
My issue isn't with them wanting to make $$$, it's that they're putting the merchandise above the anime which is the main product (supposedly). They should've held off on showing Goku's new form until after the episode aired as that should be the main place to see it but instead XV2 and heroes will be.
Toei's kinda been too focused on the money since the start of the series. I mean, they completely shot themselves in the foot wit a premature announcement of the series before production fully began, hiring a lot of new animators, not giving them proper time to animate, or even write the story I suspect, & probably some other things. If they really cared about a truly quality product, they'd actually have mandates to have the writers write a complete story that's not wrapped up too quickly, have Goku's character balance out the parts of his personality instead of just being a manchild dumbass, & having mandates that actually make sense for the production staff. Also get a simulcast out in a reasonable amount of time. Toei drops the ball in a lot of ways towards Dragon Ball.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:If they cared about a quality product, they'd have mandates to write a complete story that's not wrapped up too quickly.
This, sooooo much this.

Apart from BOG, everything after feels very rushed and unplanned out which I'll get more into once Super's over and there's a specific topic for our overall thoughts.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 pm

sintzu wrote:Regardless of what the reason was, the story should come first and that's where we should've seen it first, not a leaked image in a heroes card then xv2. There are already suspensions that some of the story points are made for merchandise and games so this doesn't help at all.

I understand that merchandise and games are what bring in the $$$ but DB was always a story first and last, something that never should've changed as the story was strong enough to move merch and games so there's no reaosn to think it wouldn't be now.
As much as I somewhat agree, we live in a new era. Things happen and everyone in the globe gets to know almost instantly. Think that not everyone cares for games (so they don't search for anything related nor follow the news when it's about games) or spends too much time on PC, so there will be people that will experience that feeling of seeing a new form debuting in the series instead of getting images of it beforehand from other sources.
kn83 wrote:The anime is first and foremost the main product whether you like or not.
If only you could point where I said the anime wasn't the main product though.
kn83 wrote:Besides Fighterz, budokai 3, xenoverse 2, heroes and a few others, most DB games are average and have weak original stories.
Then it is better to have a weak original story than having an unoriginal one or making tournaments after tournaments that do not have a story at all. Anyways.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If they cared about a quality product, they'd have mandates to write a complete story that's not wrapped up too quickly.
This, sooooo much this.

Apart from BOG, everything after feels very rushed and unplanned out which I'll get more into once Super's over and there's a specific topic for our overall thoughts.
Well, I mean, BOG was based on a movie that has a clear beginning, middle, & end. RF just starts & ends, U6 isn't too bad with that, FT needed a better ending, & I don't know about the TOP, but I suspect it's not much better. Toei's just content with adapting Toriyama's plot points without making sure the storytelling's good to tell a complete story around the plot points. It really sucks when you have a long serialized series & the company behind it doesn't care enough to make sure the storytelling is of a certain quality.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 am

sintzu wrote:
They wanted to hype up the form because if people don't know about it then people will call a form that came out of nowhere. It is really just to show fans the form before it comes out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

majinwarman wrote:
sintzu wrote:
They wanted to hype up the form because if people don't know about it then people will call a form that came out of nowhere. It is really just to show fans the form before it comes out.
Realistically, it's just a form of viral marketing, especially for the people who just watch the dub & not the sub, but DO pay attention to the games or other news of DB. I do that, so it's not unreasonable to assume others do too. It's all about building hype. Hell, FUNimation uploads 2 minute or so clips of the subs of current DBS & One Piece episodes for some key scenes from the episodes. That's also part of the hype building.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People still under the silly idea that DBS was cancelled? :roll:

Anyway BoG was bad. At least ResF knew what it wanted it be from the start but BoG was awful frankly worst written thing out of modern DB. Cast members got treated like an absolute joke, you don't introduce a character called a God of Destruction and not have him f**king destroy anything (one massive flaw that DBS fixed), writing Goku out the story when it is convenient for him not to be there crappy plot ploy Toriyama used in Z constantly, action never sustaining itself for the audience. There a lot of old Z movies better than BoG imo.

BoG is definitely a product of two visions and you can tell.
I kinda agree. Beerus saves it from being an unwatchable borefest imo. Frieza coming back was :yawn: but at least the fight with Goku/Vegeta was decent and other cast members got to do something besides get their asses kicked in 10 seconds.

Goku stealing Vegeta's kill was BS tho. I don't think I'll ever get over that :lol:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Has there been any news about the Movie? Also, has any information on when they can tell us something new besides what they told us back in December?
Majinwarman

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm

majinwarman wrote:Has there been any news about the Movie? Also, has any information on when they can tell us something new besides what they told us back in December?
We're supposed to get more information at Anime Japan, which runs from the 22nd to the 25th.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:46 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People still under the silly idea that DBS was cancelled? :roll:

Anyway BoG was bad. At least ResF knew what it wanted it be from the start but BoG was awful frankly worst written thing out of modern DB. Cast members got treated like an absolute joke, you don't introduce a character called a God of Destruction and not have him f**king destroy anything (one massive flaw that DBS fixed), writing Goku out the story when it is convenient for him not to be there crappy plot ploy Toriyama used in Z constantly, action never sustaining itself for the audience. There a lot of old Z movies better than BoG imo.

BoG is definitely a product of two visions and you can tell.
Huh. Most people usually complain about RoF.

Here’s why RoF is worse:

-Redundant plot. Freeza has come back too many times for it to be a real interesting surprise. Lack of a new original villain.

-Lack of REAL tension. Sure. Freeza’s come back. But we have an Angel, a God of Destruction, and Goku. If Goku falls then we have Beerus and Whis that will do something even if they say they dont because they’ve become too attached to the Earth to lose it to someone that annoys them anyway

-Snubbed. “Vegeta gets the wi... SIKE!”. Way to be original and give Vegeta the win for once after he has a surprise new form... oh wait.

-Lack of lore. Every DB movie has given us a look into new lore from the db world. Especially BoGs with the Destroyers, Angels, SSGod legend and all that. All this gave us was the fact that Freeza is an asspuller. Thats even worse since its canon

-Lack of scenery. BoG’s gave us Beerus’s planet, Bulma’s birthday place, space, a cave, a forest, and the city for Beerus vs Goku. RoF just gave us one place for Freeza vs Goku.
You misunderstand me, I am not saying BoG is worse than RF or RF is necessarily better just that RF doesn't promise anything beyond it's initial premise of Freeza getting revived so everything written around it seems par for the premise. BoG however it just feels unfulfilled on the promises it laid out and got fixed in the retellings, we actually saw Beerus be a Destroyer and legitimately scary whilst also seeing SSG actually be other of the "God" name as well as an actual fight worthy of being called "Battle of Gods".

With the run time BoG and RF had they should have been so much more. The latter had a full 90 min runtime with a even more simple premise yet lacked so much cohesion.

This new movie I am worried, Toriyama being heavily involved is very worrying. All I want is a movie that fulfils it's promises, flows together for it's entire run time with good sustained action and great direction. That shouldn't be so much to ask for.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
majinwarman wrote:Has there been any news about the Movie? Also, has any information on when they can tell us something new besides what they told us back in December?
We're supposed to get more information at Anime Japan, which runs from the 22nd to the 25th.
Thank you for telling me that!
Majinwarman

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm

I don't know if ya'll have talked about this or not so I'm just gonna shoot real quick :lol: I was thinking while watching Goku hit this new form, Is there any chance that he could be related to this Super Saiyan God that we are suppose to be getting a movie about? Goku has always seemed like the ring leader when it comes to reaching new heights and it just made me wonder was there actually something to that? Imagine how mad Vegeta would be if found out that Goku's great great great great great whatever great grandfather was actually a God! :P :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I don't know if ya'll have talked about this or not so I'm just gonna shoot real quick :lol: I was thinking while watching Goku hit this new form, Is there any chance that he could be related to this Super Saiyan God that we are suppose to be getting a movie about? Goku has always seemed like the ring leader when it comes to reaching new heights and it just made me wonder was there actually something to that? Imagine how mad Vegeta would be if found out that Goku's great great great great great whatever great grandfather was actually a God! :P :lol:
Well, unless the original Super Saiyan God had kids when he was in the form, probably not.

I also doubt that Yamoshi is Goku's ancestor.

These two Saiyans being Goku's ancestors just doesn't jive.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I don't know if ya'll have talked about this or not so I'm just gonna shoot real quick :lol: I was thinking while watching Goku hit this new form, Is there any chance that he could be related to this Super Saiyan God that we are suppose to be getting a movie about? Goku has always seemed like the ring leader when it comes to reaching new heights and it just made me wonder was there actually something to that? Imagine how mad Vegeta would be if found out that Goku's great great great great great whatever great grandfather was actually a God! :P :lol:
Well, unless the original Super Saiyan God had kids when he was in the form, probably not.

What 2 saiyans? There’s only the one and thats Yamoshi. The first Super Saiyan and the Super Saiyan God ghost thing.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:

What 2 saiyans? There’s only the one and thats Yamoshi. The first Super Saiyan and the Super Saiyan God ghost thing.
People CONTINUE to get this wrong.

Yamoshi was the first Super Saiyan. He died. His spirit wanders in search of 6 purehearted/righteous Saiyans, which is why the SSG ritual exists.

Yamoshi wasn't the ACTUAL first SSG, he was just the reason the first one could be created.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:13 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Well, unless the original Super Saiyan God had kids when he was in the form, probably not.

Yamoshi was the first Super Saiyan. He died. His spirit wanders in search of 6 purehearted/righteous Saiyans, which is why the SSG ritual exists.

Yamoshi wasn't the ACTUAL first SSG, he was just the reason the first one could be created.
Thats what i said right? He became a spirit of the Super Saiyan God transformation. He wasn’t the first. Thats what i meant when i said SSGod ghost.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: What 2 saiyans? There’s only the one and thats Yamoshi. The first Super Saiyan and the Super Saiyan God ghost thing.

Thats what i said right? He became a spirit of the Super Saiyan God transformation. He wasn’t the first. Thats what i meant when i said SSGod ghost.
But you latched onto me stating the 2 Saiyans, which IS true, since there was Yamoshi and an unnamed Saiyan that became the first SSG over Planet Vegeta.

I stated that I don't believe Goku was descended from either of these two, as in these two distinct and separate individuals.