ON: Replicating the Mastered Audio

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

ON: Replicating the Mastered Audio

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 am

Hello All,

I am hoping to find people that are competent in audio engineering and mixing enough here as I have a quick question about the way the vocal track was mastered from the Ocean dub. I am very fond of the way the vocal track sticks out in the mix, with what I believe has a high and low end with little mid range. I could be wrong, but I was wondering if I could find a way to replicate the sound through audio compression, equalization, and leveling. If people out there know or have an idea on how to get the vocal track to have its sound in the mastered product that would be fantastic.

Here's a clip of what I am looking for: https://youtu.be/DBuVgXWSkmQ?t=7s

I would love to share audio examples and see if we can get close to that sound. Kindly sharing the way the levels would look would be a total bonus too!

Hopefully this thread doesn't die as quickly as it was conceived and we can get somewhere.

Thanks for your time everyone! :thumbup:

Just slightly off topic, but I always felt Funimation's mixes (even outside DB) sound a lot more 'roomy' whereas Ocean's mixes (even in, say, Black Lagoon) have a very piercing, bass heavy, in your face mix with the vocal track.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada