2018 Dragon Ball predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball predictions

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 am

* Tournament of Power is the final main arc of Super, miniarc is Frost wanting to blow up Sadala. Vegeta takes Goten and Trunks (against his own will) to Universe 6 to help save them.
* Caulifla, Kale, and Cabba will all achieve Super Saiyan 3. More Super Saiyan's will appear in Universe 6
* Every erased Universe will be returned to the mortal realm
* There is a hidden agenda behind Zeno destroying six Universe's long ago. Whether good or evil, is yet to be seen
* The new movie's main character will be Yamoshi, and Goku will appear for maybe 26 seconds in the whole film (think Sasuke in The Last: NARUTO the Movie)
* Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return will be retold and/or FUNimation will gain the dubbing rights
* Super will interlink with GT in a way that pisses off the masses (such as the Oracle Fish telling Whis that GT's events (with accompanying clips) are in Goku's future)
* Trunks and Mai will return. Trunks will have Super Saiyan 3
* Dragon Ball Super will go on hiatus for twelve months to accommodate the film
* Disney will hire the FUNimation cast to dub the new film

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 am

Yamcha will surge in popularity because of FighterZ and the Yamcha manga will be licensed by Viz.
Against all odds Jiren wins the tournament.
Android 9 from Online makes his way to Heroes.
Akira Toriyama is jailed for tax evasion.
Also there will probably be like a cross-promotion between Dragon Ball and like an energy drink.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 am

I love these kind of threads (even though my predictions are totally off):

- Super will end the Tournament of Power arc by March, with Universe 11 winning, and Jiren wishing back all the erased universes. If Super does continue past this arc there will be like 3 months of filler until the next arc (including Goku and Vegeta going to Universe 6 to meet Planet Salad's King).
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will be a smash hit, and will have DLC packs every 2 months (new characters include Mr. Satan, Videl, Bulma, Caulifla and Kale to name a few).
- TFS will release DBZ Abridged episode 60 in March (in 3 parts, ending the Android Saga) Bojack Unbound will come out during Halloween, then the Buu Saga will begin in 2019.
- Dragon Ball Multiverse will continue to update 3 times a week (and we'll eventually get a Universe 9 story)
- Toei, and Toriyama will continue to make the big bucks
- Toonami will air the Goku Black arc, the subsequent filler arc, and the last episode of 2018 will be the introduction of Caulifla (unless Jason DeMarco abolishes marathons on holiday weekends).
- DBZ Movie 20, about the origin of the Saiyans will come out in December 2018,, and will include the histories of both Universe 7 and Universe 6.

I'll check this post a year from now and see if any of these predictions will pan out.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 am

The Iron Fjord wrote:I love these kind of threads (even though my predictions are totally off):

- Super will end the Tournament of Power arc by March, with Universe 11 winning, and Jiren wishing back all the erased universes. If Super does continue past this arc there will be like 3 months of filler until the next arc (including Goku and Vegeta going to Universe 6 to meet Planet Salad's King).
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will be a smash hit, and will have DLC packs every 2 months (new characters include Mr. Satan, Videl, Bulma, Caulifla and Kale to name a few).
- TFS will release DBZ Abridged episode 60 in March (in 3 parts, ending the Android Saga) Bojack Unbound will come out during Halloween, then the Buu Saga will begin in 2019.
- Dragon Ball Multiverse will continue to update 3 times a week (and we'll eventually get a Universe 9 story)
- Toonami will air the Goku Black arc, the subsequent filler arc, and the last episode of 2018 will be the introduction of Caulifla (unless Jason DeMarco abolishes marathons on holiday weekends).
- DBZ Movie 20, about the origin of the Saiyans will come out in December 2018,, and will include the histories of both Universe 7 and Universe 6.

I'll check this post a year from now and see if any of these predictions will pan out.
Why would jiren make that wish?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

sangofe wrote:
The Iron Fjord wrote:I love these kind of threads (even though my predictions are totally off):

In the manga, he did express a great amount of reluctance to participate. Being at least partially responsible for the erasure of other universes being a major part of it. The other was leaving their universe defenseless while gone. So him wishing for all the universes being brought back is a possibility.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
sangofe wrote:

In the manga, he did express a great amount of reluctance to participate. Being at least partially responsible for the erasure of other universes being a major part of it. The other was leaving their universe defenseless while gone. So him wishing for all the universes being brought back is a possibility.
In the manga it was stated that Jiren's wish is a selfish one.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:1. Super will continue until next year at least
2. The Universe Survival arc will last until November
3. Something will disrupt the Omniversal tournament and lead into a new arc
4. Super's animation will remain somewhat inconsistent but every few weeks we'll get one, maybe a few episodes of absolute brilliance
5. We will get Sumitomo's best work on Super so far with the current arc
6. Super's ratings and merchandise sales will increase considerably, particularly in the US
7. Super's success in the US and other parts of the world will lead to the announcement of a new movie in July for a release next year
8. The Bang Zoom Super dub will be partly recovered via TV recordings
9. Super and Kai: The Final Chapters will each get 3 DVD/BD parts from Funimation
10. The Pioneer movie trilogy will be announced for a collector's edition Blu-Ray release
11. Xenoverse 3 will be announced for a christmas release
12. We will see several one-shot mangas from the Dragon Ball Room
So turns out I was right about (1), (6) and (8) right. (2) and (11) were wrong. The Tournament of Power is nearly over so I can't see (3) happening. As far as (4) is concerned I would say the animation now is pretty solid with the odd poor episode and also the odd point of brilliance, especially when Yuyu Takahashi is involved. I wouldn't say (5) was exactly the case as the Goku Black stuff is still Sumitomo's best (in my opinion), although the newer tunes are up there for sure. (7), (9) and (12) weren't accurate, but (9) was close, and (12) was an overstatement. I don't see (10) happening as the anniversary has passed.

Now for my 2018 predictions:

1. Super will not end this year
2. The Tournament of Power will end in March
3. After the Tournament of Power we will get a mini-conflict with Freeza that involves the Super Dragon Balls
4. The summer will be flooded with slice-of-life episodes
5. We will get an announcement for a new arc that begins towards the end of the year and runs alongside the new movie
6. The new arc will be set in the 10-year time gap but the new movie won't
7. The new movie, to no one's surprise will be centred around Goku and Vegeta, but it will be more original and story-focused than Resurrection F
8. The new movie will explore the relationship between the saiyans of Universes 6 and 7
9. GT will replace Kai on Toonami
10. Ocean Kai will air on the new Canadian channel Wow (going to be cautiously optimistic here but I believe it will happen)
11. Funimation will release 3 parts for Super
12. Dragon Ball Fighterz will be massive and take some of the attention off Xenoverse
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:53 am

Super surpasses Z in consistent, quality art, and we get more Caulifla and Kale.

At least I hope so...

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 am

- If Super takes a break in March, it will return around the time of the new Dragon Ball movie to promote it
- Son Goku will actually defeat Jiren.
- Beerus will probably acknowledge all of his entire Universe 7...if not, he says "Screw you guys, I'm leaving." and never returns.
- People will probably be split on the ending of the Tournament of Power, though it will probably character develop some of the cast, particularly Goku. Maybe.
- The manga version of the Tournament of Power will end at the end of the year.
- FighterZ will be a smash hit, though DLC will probably upset people and not everyone will be too into the story mode, either
- No new transformations, if Super does return
- Ocean Kai finally pops up in Canadian TV with the announcement of them finishing the Buu arc as well from probably one of the voice actors letting it slip
- FUNimation will probably do even more out-of-the-box/stunt/surprise casting for the filler characters as well as the Tournament of Power characters
- If Bang Zoom continues their dub, they'll be at episode 66 by the time FUNimation finishes that part.
- Yamoshi will probably be the protagonist of the new movie
- The new movie will probably include some of the series' best animation to date
- The new movie will probably have the series regulars as characters, but they are not the focus
- If Super does come back, it'll probably time skip and will probably involve a villain this time and will probably be the final arc in the same vein they marketed Kai TFC.
- Also Super will probably have a much more healthier production schedule upon its return
- IF it doesn't take a break, we'll probably get lots and lots of filler with an announcement of a new arc in June
- Hironobu Kageyama returns to sing a theme song or two.
- Xenoverse 3 announced at TGS or E3.

Wishful Thinking and unlikely to EVER happen:
- JAM Project does an insert theme
- Ocean Kai dub gets picked up by FUNimation and gets released as a Blu Ray.
- FUNimation picks up the original broadcast audio and releases one final release of Dragon Ball Z.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm

-The universes stay destroyed temporarily and the next arc is about reviving them. Fights with the 'higher' universes' occur. Freeza is invovled in a similar way to Vegeta in the Namek Arc
-DBS moves into EOZ territory
-Viz releases the beginning of the Full Color Cell Saga
-XV3 is announced
-TOP ending divides the fanbase
-Goku will be the reincarnation/descendant of Yamoshi
-The new movie divides the fanbase again

Wishful thinking
-Kageyama returns to the series
-Heroes adds SSJ4 Goten/Trunks/Gotenks

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:-Heroes adds SSJ4 Goten/Trunks/Gotenks
I have a feeling we won't get any Super Saiyan 4 this year, but unlike 2016 in which there was no reason at all, this year has the release of a new movie. Just like GM7 and GDM2 didn't even have the animated trailers because of the release Movie 14 and Movie 15 respectively, UM5 (that will be released on November) probably won't have it either. Also, both GM7 and GDM2 focused on adding the movies characters (GDM2 added Oozaru Time Breaker Bardock and Mira as playable but that was it).

UM5 might focus on adding the relevant Saiyans that may appear in the movie.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 am

1. Super won't end this year. I think this is a pretty safe prediction
2. All erased universes will be restored somehow. Hopefully in a unique and not predictable way
3. We will visit planet Sadala/Salada
4. No Latin American dvds/Blu rays for Super will be release (I really hope I'm wrong about this)
5. Zima Entertainment releases all 291 episodes of Dbz on Blu ray. But they're just the crappy FUNimation Blu rays synced with the Latin American dub. (As much as I hate those Blu rays, I still hope this happens)
6. Dragon Ball Z keeps aring on Mexico's Canal 5
7. No major time skip in Super
8. Goku masters Migatte no goku'i
9. Vegeta creates his own version of Migatte no goku'i
10. I'll rewatch the whole series again at some point

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am

I feel like the master of predictions. I'm the only one here who adamantly predicted Super to end. Now I hope my new prediction that a Dragon Ball show written by Toriyama and set after EoZ will be announced is correct.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 pm

emperior wrote:I feel like the master of predictions. I'm the only one here who adamantly predicted Super to end. Now I hope my new prediction that a Dragon Ball show written by Toriyama and set after EoZ will be announced is correct.
Don't you love when your predictions come true? Honestly, I thought Super would end this year too and it would lead to a brand new series coming this year with Uub and stuff - but most of the fandom and DB YouTubers were like NOPE SUPER IS TOO POPULAR. Well, yeah....... Too bad the Uub thing didn't happen though, but I still have faith for 2019!!! Maybe?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 am

mecha3000 wrote:
emperior wrote:I feel like the master of predictions. I'm the only one here who adamantly predicted Super to end. Now I hope my new prediction that a Dragon Ball show written by Toriyama and set after EoZ will be announced is correct.
Don't you love when your predictions come true? Honestly, I thought Super would end this year too and it would lead to a brand new series coming this year with Uub and stuff - but most of the fandom and DB YouTubers were like NOPE SUPER IS TOO POPULAR. Well, yeah....... Too bad the Uub thing didn't happen though, but I still have faith for 2019!!! Maybe?
I love when my predictions come true, because most of the times I predict things I would like to see happen as I'm optimistic by nature.
My next prediction is that Super will end so that a new, better show can take its place in 2019. Everyone wants to see Dragon Ball at his best, and if the price to pay is that we won't get new episodes every week for sometime, then so be it. But if DB really comes back with an awesome new show in 2019, we will all be grateful for this much needed break. And Toei will be able to produce the show with more time to ensure the schedule is as good as it can be, so that Dragon Ball can go on for many more years without them paying too much money in order to ensue episodes get completed in time. It's a win-win situation, and it's the perfect time for a hiatus if the next show finally goes after EoZ!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”