2018 Dragon Ball predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

2018 Dragon Ball predictions

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

Anyone wants to have a go at predicting 2018 besides the things we know?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball predictions

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

- Pretty sure the ToP arc is going to end this year.
- Following the ToP I expect at least a month of filler before proceeding to the next arc if there's any.
- More news about the upcoming movie including plot and characters.
- FighterZ will have a promotional tie-in manga on V-Jump acting as either a prequel or an adaptation for the game's plot.
- Xenoverse 3 will be announced.
- Viz will license Dragon Ball SD.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm

We'll have either a new form introduced, or a non-Saiyan character will achieve Ultra-Instinct.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Before I predict 2018, let's take a quick look at my 2017 predictions...
Robo4900 wrote:
  • Super will start to slowly work its way into consistency, not only with the Peaceful World mini-arc, but also with GT. It will mostly amount to handwaves and asspulls, and fans will get very cross about it.
  • A new anime based on Dragon Ball Heroes will be announced. Toyotaro will be involved, but Toriyama will stay pretty distant from it.
  • Piccolo will actually do something in Super.
  • The next arc of Super will seem to build up to Gohan finally regaining his full Ultimate Gohan powers, but in the end, Goku or Vegeta will take the win.
  • Goku won't use the Blue Kaioken in the next major arc.
  • Whether the next arc is good or not, fans will complain about it anyway.
Super is still a little ways from its end, so working into consistency with GT wouldn't happen for a little while. I doubt they actually will do that, but I'm still gonna hold out hope.
No Heroes anime announcement. Gonna hold onto that one for this year.
Piccolo did do something in Super in ToP!
ToP seemed to be shaping up to do Gohan stuff with Goku and Vegeta taking the win last time I watched, though I'm behind by like 15-20 episodes at this point.
Goku has used Blue Kaioken, I believe.
Given the amount of complaining I myself have done about Super in general, including this arc, I think I've fulfilled that last one on my own. ;)

So, let's do some new ones...
  • The new movie will not be as good as Battle Of Gods, but it'll be better than Resurrection F.
  • The movie will be set either after the end of Z, or shortly before that.
  • The movie will have a more mid-Z-ish style, unlike BoG and RF's more original series/Boo-ish style. The movie will be less enjoyable for it, but US fans will rave about it.
  • We know that the new movie will feature something to do with the origins of the Saiyans. The things this movie reveals will be stuff people never wanted to know in the first place, it'll shake up everyone's perceptions of what Saiyans are, and it'll make them a lot less interesting(Kind of like what Minus did to Bardock).
  • The Tournament Of Power will have an ending that will divide fans. It will then be followed by a bunch of filler episodes that will be utterly brilliant, but people will complain about it not being edgy enough.
  • Another Dr. Slump crossover will happen. The fans who didn't like the last one will hate this one even more.
  • That Dr. Slump crossover will happen in the movie.
  • The movie will actually be based on Dragon Ball Heroes.
  • Viz will resume Dragon Ball Full Colour, releasing three volumes in 2018, with three more volumes announced as coming in 2019. They will stay completely silent about the possibility of Boo, Boyhood, and Piccolo, to the point that many fans begin to think they'll finish Full Colour up with Cell.
  • Manga UK will stop licensing Dragon Ball Super's home media releases, due to low sales.
  • Funimation will do something amazing in their Super dub that no one could have seen coming, which will blow everyone's minds... Again.
  • Ocean Kai will get on-air in Canada. Fans online will complain about it, but it will get solid ratings, because Canadian fans will actually be really into it.
  • Ocean begins production on a dub of Kai: The Final Chapters. This will be tightly kept under wraps, except for the fact Lee Tockar, Scott McNeil, or Michael Dobson will let it slip in an interview or something.
  • Actually, Chris Sabat will be the one to leak Ocean Kai TFC, as the Funimation voice actors are brought in to voice the Cell Games re-enactment.
  • Alternatively, Ian Corlett leaks it, as it turns out Ocean's Cell Games re-enactment uses Ian Corlett as Goku, has Drummond and McNeil do versions of Vegeta and Piccolo just like back in 1996, Cell is Dale Wilson doing a performance that exaggerates and mocks the way he played Cell in the Westwood dub, and while Mr. Satan is recast in the main dub, Don Brown comes back as him for this scene.
  • Or, alternatively, the Ocean Cell Games re-enactment is entirely voiced by Chris Sabat, with all the voices being based on his "Season 3" style of delivery and acting in general.
  • The UK begins airing Bang Zoom's dub of Super. They get to the end of what Bang Zoom dubbed, and to save money bring the Big Green crew in to dub the rest of the show. This is a catastrophic failure, and results in the premature end of a revived UK Toonami.
  • Bulma's role in Super becomes almost nonexistent.
  • Stock audio of Hiromi Tsuru from Kai: The Final Chapters is used for Bulma's scenes in the end of Z world tournament material.
  • Jōji Yanami comes back to do one last piece of narration for Super to end the show.
A bunch of jokey ones in here, and several that assume Super will be ending this year. And of course, given what Marni Shulman has said about Ocean Kai, I decided to put a few fun ones related to that in here, most of which just come down to wishful thinking. Hey, a man can dream, can't he? ;)
Those last two basically just come down to "If this is possible, I really hope this is what Toei do to end Super.", and I think those two are just two of many of these that, if they do happen, wouldn't happen in 2018.
Still, I look forward to seeing how these turn out. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:13 pm

- The Tournament of Power will end in February with Goku defeating Jiren, but he won’t be the last man standing

- March will be dedicated to slice of life episodes

- There’s going to be a timeskip

- The new arc will begin in April and it’ll last the rest of the year

- Toyotaro won’t finish the Tournament of Power but he’ll be more than halfway through

- Yamoshi is going to look like Goku

- Viz is going to announce the Full Color Android arc for a late 2018/early 2019 release

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Super's next arc will be announced before the end of May.

The current arc will have a controversial ending.

The next arc will be just as big and full of surprises as Black's arc.

Like with the current and previous 2 arcs, some will say it's the last one only to be wrong for a 4TH time but for some reason say the same thing when the one after that is announced. When Super is finally over after 10+ arcs they'll say "we told you so". :lol:

Toyotarou's manga will continue to be better than the anime.

The movie will be set after the current arc but before the next one.

Gohan and Vegeta will play major roles in the movie alongside Goku.

XV3 will be announced for a 2019 release.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 pm

- A new Dragon Ball game will be announced and released. Most likely will be a remake/remaster of an older game.
- More cards for Dragon Ball Heroes will be produced, with more SSJ4's, SSJB's and SSJ3's than before
- The Universal Survival arc will end.
- Dragon Ball Super's next major arc will begin and end in the same year and will not take place during the EOZ period.
- More information about the 2018 Dragon Ball movie will be released.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

- Anime Universe Survival arc will end in 2018, but DBS will continue.
- Manga Universe Survival arc won't end in 2018.
- Takahashi will keep being around.
- Nagamine will be the director of new Dragon Ball Movie.
- DB FighterZ will be a success.
- Viz will announce Full Color Cell arc Volumes at Anime Expo 2018.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:32 pm

FUNimation to continue their fantastic dub of the new series.

Dragon Ball continues to dominate my wallet.

Grandista to release UI Goku and SSGSS Goku and Vegeta.

Blood of Saiyans line to extend to Trunks and Gohan & SSGSS Vegeta.

FES line to release SS2 and God Goku (thus making the line cover every single form of Goku).

Ichiban Kuji's continue to focus on the Saiyans this time in November they'll release U6 Saiyans.

Bandai to announce yet another gashapon line this time similar to their Kai HG/DG gashapon series.

Megahouse return to do capsule scene selections for DBS.

Crap promo artist disappears again and good promo artist does some stuff just when things are looking bright the crappy one appears again to do promo art for the new arc and we have to sit there and watch his horrendous art be plastered everywhere from stationary to homeware to holiday gifts.... eurgh.

Dragon Ball Super continues to be immensely popular and successful and continues to sell incredibly well overseas.

A lot of fans fall for the FighterZ DLC crap and realise they've just been duped.

Fans to not learn their lessons and behave indecently when any new information comes to light about anything and people to spout shit without facts to push whatever agenda's they have... though thankfully if I continue to avoid threads I can avoid all this BS.

Viz start releasing the Cell arc and it doesn't get finished until 2021.

Toei learn from Resurrection "F" and license the new movie early for international market looking at early 2019 release, the film with the new found success of DBS does incredibly well at the BO.

Toei go back to nonsensical movie titles and this time modern FUNi don't change the movie title so we're stuck with "Amazing! The great power within from that guy!".

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:57 pm

So! My 2017 predictions were:
-Super won't end
-The tournament will be as uneventful as the previous one
-none of the universes actually get destroyed
-most of the battles won't be that well animated because the time necessary to do a good job on them doesn't exist
-The tournament will last into June
-no Planet Salad until fall, if that
-True
-subjective, but if it's just me then...false, but only because this tournament to me has felt like nothing but a bunch of mini events. Can't say it's uneventful when ssjg Gokû makes his triumphantly cute return.
-False, for now. For all I know everyone gets wished back at the end of the arc.
-False. Toei actually got their stuff together. Takahashi is wonderful.
-False. The tournament of power never ends. It goes on and on, my friends. At least until March.
-False. Only in my dreams will that trip happen.

So..my prediction ability is no good. But here's my predictions for 2018.

-Super won't end
-the ToP finally ends.
-filler from March till April. New arc starts in April.
-new arc has an actual antagonist/villain
-new arc lasts until November.
-tie-in episode in December for the movie
-movie involves flashbacks or time travel.
-contrary to my initial worries, Gokû is one of the main characters in the movie.
-new movie exclusive outfits for Gokû and Vegeta

Now to wait and see.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm

#1 The Tournament of Power will end sometime in March.
#2 The next arc will start sometime in July.
#3 Toyotaro's manga will still be dull and boring.
#4 Between the end of this arc and the next there will be a flashback episode featuring Goten and how Chi-Chi look after him post Goku's death in the Cell Arc, it will be comedy episode.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:49 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:- There’s going to be a timeskip
Oh, that reminds me, I forgot to put one thing on my list of predictions...
  • There is not going to be a timeskip. :P
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Man, some predictions here are so obvious... I'm pretty sure people are kinda trolling here. :lol:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm

-The Top will end in the anime sometime in march while in the manga it will have the entire years of that.
    -Expect a couple a filler until we move on to a new saga.
      -The new saga will go past the EoZ or about frieza taking over the world via super DB,it could go either way.
        -There will be a lot of knee jerks of both products of Super as well info for the movie.
          - DB FighterZ will be a success as well the movie.
          Mostly active on discord.

floofychan333
          Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:16 pm

FighterZ will be a roaring success, Xenoverse 3 will be announced, FUNimation and Viz will keep doing their jobs, and the rest of Canada will forget that Dragon Ball ever existed.
          "All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Saikyo no Senshi
          Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 am

1) A new series director yet yet yet yet yet again cause DBS needs to break records. I wonder who it will be this time.

2) Fillers after the ToP end will be longer in order for the main staff to focus on the upcoming film.

3) Another old character will come back. Bardock is my prediction.

4) End of the original series or EoZ will still not be surpassed.

5) More videogames.

Jackalope89
          Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm

1. ToP ends.
          2. Most, if not all of the erased universes are brought back.
          3. Planet Sadala Arc.
          4. People are split over Bulma's new voice actor, with some not even realizing that Hiromi Tsuru passed away and be total dicks about it (you know those kinds of people exist)
          5. Pan and Bra go Super Saiyan.
          6. Bardock is U6 King of Saiyans.
          7. Caulifla is dumbfounded when she finds out she's not the youngest SSJ ever when she and Kale meet Goten and Trunks.
          8. Future Trunks and Mai return.

rs_chaosmaster
          Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm

1.Super will not go past EOZ era in 2018
          2. TOP arc ends early March
          3. Planet Sadala arc is next filler type episodes
          4. Uub will be a big influence in the next major arc
          5. No new transformations in 2018
          6. Toonami and Funimation will shock everyone in June announcing that Kai final chapters will be replaced by Dragonball Super meaning two episodes a week :O Keeping Dragonball Hour in tact.
          7. Goku Blacks English dub will be nothing like Xenoverse 2 interpretation.
          8. Full Color will not resume in 18
          9. Funimation will again shock US fans by announcing the first ever simuldub theatrical reease for Super Movie 3. Also the option to see the movie in theaters subbed.

Go Bold or go home IMO

BlueBasilisk
          I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 pm

1) TOP ends in March.
          2) TOP round 2 against the other four Universes begins immediately and lasts until Fall 2019
          2) Lengthy low-key arc exploring some of the ramifications of the tournament. Sadala arc maybe? Could see that lasting through most of April and May.
          3) More information about the movie trickles out through the summer with a big marketing push beginning around August.
          4) New arc begins May or June for the summer season.
          5) People will continue to wonder when Super is going to go past End of Z or get cancelled.

emperior
          I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm

emperior wrote:- Beerus won't be surpassed
          - Animation will improve
          - No Time-Skip
          - The new arc will be very, very long. Maybe it still won't be finished by the end of 2017
          - Lot of shit will happen in the new arc
          - It will be the last arc of Super written by Toriyama unless he decides to go after the end of DBZ. Honestly the new arc sounds like endgame, I doubt there will be much more to add after it. It could also be so conclusive it leaves no space open for further stories (like all Gods die including both Zenos etc... And only U7 stays alive) I hope this won't be the case though
          - If Toriyama really quits, Toei will announce a new DB serie
          - Power levels will still be inconsistent
          - No new home console game announced
          My last year's predictions. Some pretty safe predictions, which I got right, and I'm glad Toriyama hasn't quitted and won't be quitting for a long time and I'm very happy a home console game was announced, and FighterZ surpasses my wildest expectations.
          Now, my predictions for 2018.

- FighterZ will be very well-received and will sell more copies than the first Xenoverse. It will also be released to the Nintendo Switch, and it will be awarded "fighting game of the year"
          - Tournament of Power's finale will have outstanding animation, and the story too will blow up the fandom in a very positive way similar to episodes 109-110
          - Super will end with episode 131 (or 133) with a hint, either in the story or by the narrator himself, in the latest episode that Dragon Ball stories aren't over
          - The movie will be mind-blowing and loved by the fans, even more than Battle of Gods. Goku will appear in it, but the main character will be Yamoshi
          - A new show will be announced, probably at the end of the movie, set after the events of EoZ/manga chapter 519 and written by Toriyama
          - If Super doesn't end, I still predict the next major arc to be set after EoZ
          - Xenoverse 3 will be announced
          悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical