[MANGA RELATED QUESTION] Standard Viz vs VizBig

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

doriandiaconu

[MANGA RELATED QUESTION] Standard Viz vs VizBig

Post by doriandiaconu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 am

So I've been currently been employed and I'm looking forward to collect the manga volumes finally as I can afford to spend some extra money on them (coming from a poor-ish country).

I already have the first 2 volumes of Super and I'm looking forward to collecting the Colored DBZ versions of the Manga.

When it comes to DB (first series) should I get the standard Viz or the VizBig? I'm not interested in the 3-in-1 series due to the quality of the paper. I'm looking for the best quality (and least censorship, but as I know Standard and BigViz are almost the same in this case) and the fact that one is more cheaper (vizBig is more cheaper than the standalone volumes for some reason) isn't helping me that much.. The only extras BigViz offer are the extra colored chapters, right?

I'm looking for them in English BTW.

Thanks!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: [MANGA RELATED QUESTION] Standard Viz vs VizBig

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am

Going by this review thread from back in 2009, it appears that it fits the bill. The ViZBig's, while still censored, feature less censorship that most other releases. The worst is changing which finger Bulma holds up when gesturing to Pilaf, but the rest is done tastefully and you wouldn't noticed if you don't know. ViZBig does have colour chapters, but only about 50% of them for some reason.

I own one of the ViZBigs (girlfriend gifts me with Vol. 2), and it is a pretty good release. It has good paper compared to the woeful 3-in-1 release and the print quality is quite crisp. My only other comparison is the Full Colour editions of the Saiyan and Frieza arcs, and it holds up quite well!

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you for the fast reply. Yeah VizBig seem to fit the picture.

But I still don't understand if there is any difference between the Big ones and the Standard ones.

Basically I'd say the Standalone ones are better quality since they are more expensive than the Big ones?

I got no reason to believe they released better quality 3-in-1 volume, with bigger pictures and colored chapters and other extras and sell them cheaper than the Standard ones.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 pm

doriandiaconu wrote:Colored DBZ versions of the Manga.

When it comes to DB (first series) should I get the standard Viz or the VizBig? I'm not interested in the 3-in-1 series due to the quality of the paper. I'm looking for the best quality (and least censorship, but as I know Standard and BigViz are almost the same in this case) and the fact that one is more cheaper (vizBig is more cheaper than the standalone volumes for some reason) isn't helping me that much.. The only extras BigViz offer are the extra colored chapters, right?
Do you mean the Full Colour DBZ?
Viz will probably do Full Colour volumes of the pre-Z material. Problem is, with their current release schedule, you might be waiting until 2024 for it to start, and 2028 for it to finish.

But yeah, until the Full Colours come out, the VizBigs are your best option; no other release(Other than the Full Colours, of course) have any colour at all, the VizBigs are probably the cheapest release there is, the censorship isn't too bad, the print quality is good... They're the best choice.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

doriandiaconu wrote:Thank you for the fast reply. Yeah VizBig seem to fit the picture.

But I still don't understand if there is any difference between the Big ones and the Standard ones.

Basically I'd say the Standalone ones are better quality since they are more expensive than the Big ones?

I got no reason to believe they released better quality 3-in-1 volume, with bigger pictures and colored chapters and other extras and sell them cheaper than the Standard ones.
I'm not sure if the standalone release is "better quality." The VizBigs have good paper quality and pack three standalone releases into one package (with the fifth release packing in four). Censoring is what you'd probably expect -- a lot of the nudity, such as any moment that Bulma is exposed or any of Roshi's dirty magazines (I believe), and the middle fingers. I was a little surprised that Goku's nudity wasn't censored, but whatever -- you get pre-teen ding-dong. The censoring isn't too extensive or noticeable (it doesn't pop out at you really).

The VizBigs have some color chapters (but from what I understand, not all) like the Kanzenban. When originally drawn, Akira Toriyama rarely did the manga in color and a lot of the time had a limited color palet, which is why the first couple of pages of a color chapter will look detailed and then the rest of it looks like the same few colors that have been recycled. From my understanding, except for the Full Colors, no other Viz-produced DB manga has colored chapters.

The VizBigs come with character information pages in the beginning (like the Tankōbon release) and a collection of the original chapter covers from the weekly Shonen Jump at the end of each book (like the Kanzenban)

I wouldn't look at the VizBigs' pricetag and make an assumption about quality. This isn't a video release that will crop the images or whatnot -- it's not like the picture is cut and it's not like the images are pixelated or anything. So I think it comes down to paper quality, which is definitely good.

My chief complaint about the VizBigs -- as I'd imagine is the case with the 3-in-1s -- is that because it's so thick, you have to be careful to not detach the pages from, or fold the spine. It's been a huge worry of mine, but it might be unjustifiable. None of my VizBigs have pages coming off from the spine, but I just don't want to take the chance to really start folding it open. However, the books are susceptible to closing easily, which has been a constant frustration of mine.

Another detail that you might have mixed feelings about is that generally, the manga releases form a picture on the spine. This picture is usually one big, detailed piece spanning across the spines of the entire release. Well, not the VizBigs. They just have a random picture(s) of Goku (with the only exception being a picture of Vegetto for the very last "Z" release) from the manga slapped on the spine and if you put them together, there really is no connected picture.

I'd say that for the entire manga -- not just the "Dragon Ball" portion -- the VizBigs are a pretty good choice. The only other Viz release that I'd consider for DB is the full-color release, if they ever get to it. I'm willing to bet that it might be a struggle for Viz if they want to do a "Dragon Ball" release. It's one thing to edit black and white pictures, it's one thing to take directly from the original (which is what their "Z" release is pretty much, considering there really isn't anything to censor), but it's a whole different animal trying to censor something that's done in full color. Sure, they can do it if they really wanted to, but it would be interesting to see how they pull it off. I'm not holding my breath for a Dragon Ball full color release from Viz and I'm damn sure not holding my breath for an uncensored one, so take it for what you will. Besides, the Japanese release of the full color manga doesn't have character info pages in the front nor the original chapter covers on the back. Minor stuff, sure, but it's all about what you like.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:10 pm

I really hope they do Dragon Ball in Full Colour. One of the benefits I found about them is that the US Full Colour is, as far as I'm aware, not only the largest release of the manga, but the only one at the size of the original Shonen Jump release.

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks for the answers.

My main issue is still the price tag. If the VizBig versions are better, why are they cheaper than the Standard volumes?

It wouldn't be smart marketing if they were, there must be some kind of catch.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:57 pm

doriandiaconu wrote:Thanks for the answers.

My main issue is still the price tag. If the VizBig versions are better, why are they cheaper than the Standard volumes?

I think the best way to judge is to go to a book store or comics shop that has both the 3-in-1s and the ViZBigs and do a hands-on comparison of the two.

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:
doriandiaconu wrote:Thanks for the answers.

I think the best way to judge is to go to a book store or comics shop that has both the 3-in-1s and the ViZBigs and do a hands-on comparison of the two.
The thing is that i can physically see at the store obly the Standard and 3-in-1. The Big ones are available only online.

So this is why I'm interestes in the discrepancy between Standard and Big, due to the fact that Big are better and cheaper yuan standard.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 pm

doriandiaconu wrote:The thing is that i can physically see at the store obly the Standard and 3-in-1. The Big ones are available only online.

So this is why I'm interestes in the discrepancy between Standard and Big, due to the fact that Big are better and cheaper yuan standard.
The standard 3-in-1s were billed as special collector's editions, because they were supposedly uncensored. So, they were priced a little higher to reflect the fact it's for the more hardcore fans.

The VizBigs were billed as a great place for newcomers to come in at a cheaper pricepoint, with more colour, and with it looking nicer.

In reality, the standard 3-in-1s are only slightly less censored than the VizBigs, and the paper and print quality is utter crap. They were basically kinda crappy cash-ins. The VizBigs, meanwhile, are really nicely printed on good paper, they're the only release aside from the Full Colours to have any colour in them, and because they're cheaper too, they're strictly better than every other release in every aspect except for the fact they're slightly more censored than the standard 3-in-1s.

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 am

Thank you for the answers. It's settled in this case. Normal volumes for Super. Colored for DBZ and Big for DB.

Still, I have a problem understanding why they released a higher quality product (Big) cheaper than the Standard version.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 am

doriandiaconu wrote:Thank you for the answers. It's settled in this case. Normal volumes for Super. Colored for DBZ and Big for DB.

Still, I have a problem understanding why they released a higher quality product (Big) cheaper than the Standard version.
ViZ works in strange ways...

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 am

KBABZ wrote:
doriandiaconu wrote:Thank you for the answers. It's settled in this case. Normal volumes for Super. Colored for DBZ and Big for DB.

ViZ works in strange ways...
Hahaha.

Thanks for the help guys. I wish you all a very happy new year.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 am

Do the vizbigs come with all the title pages ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 am

sintzu wrote:Do the vizbigs come with all the title pages ?
Yep! They're all contained at the back.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Yeah, I have a couple of single volumes but I mostly started collecting the series in VizBig format.

They seem to be the best option. My only worry is that the spine might come undone but as long as I take care of my copies... things should be fine.

So between releases... the VizBigs are probably the best option for english audiences.

That being said... I truly hope they do the real kanzenban releases here in the West one day too. I might even re-purchase the series if that is the case.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am

GamerSkull wrote:That being said... I truly hope they do the real kanzenban releases here in the West one day too. I might even re-purchase the series if that is the case.
Nah, won't happen. The crappy 3-in-1s were kind of billed as this, but fell down in most aspects.

Best we'll get is the Full Colours, assuming those continue to be -- barring Popo's lips -- uncensored.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 am

Robo4900 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:That being said... I truly hope they do the real kanzenban releases here in the West one day too. I might even re-purchase the series if that is the case.
Nah, won't happen. The crappy 3-in-1s were kind of billed as this, but fell down in most aspects.
It'd be hard to release them now not only because they've released 3 versions of the manga but also because they used their covers on the 3in1's. It's also been to long to get much interest apart from really hardcore fans.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.