Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - 10 years!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - 10 years!

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Back then when OVA 2008 came out I wasn't really feeling it, because I had move on. I rewatched DB/DBZ/GT on TV more times that I can count for, so when I got a decent Internet and found out what anime/manga was, I started looking up for new stuff. I watched that OVA just like I watched Kai and Episode of Bardock, out of curiosity.

It's only when BOG was announced, a new theatrical Movie after so long and written by Toriyama himself, that my love for the franchise renewed and I signed up here.
The hype was too much. Otherwise I wouldn't be here, because to me there's no point in actively talking about something that already ended. When we stop getting new DB stuff, I will also barely post here.

In retrospect, 2012-2017 have been a great ride. My younger me would never believe me if I told him what is happening. I may not love everything, but I'm thankful for everything.

I hate the fanbase more than ever now, though. Always crying, always complaining, misunderstandings everywhere, some people saying the same bullshit over and over... It's a shame the franchise I love the most has easily one of the worst fanbases. I'm getting too old for this shit. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I had hoped (and still hope) Tarble would reappear one day.
Yeah, me too. Hopefully Tarble gets addressed once more in the next movie.
precita wrote:Is Tarble considered canon?
By those who prefer the movies over the retellings, yes.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Oh well, I think I could have waited instead of creating this thread right in the beginning of the year. My apologies. :)

Anyway, the time has finally come. 10 years has passed. By 2008, my Internet was not the best, in fact, I still had dial-up connection and so I was not aware of most of the releases, including this piece of material that set the return of Dragon Ball. I would only know about the existence of this OVA in 2009, along with its manga adaptation. I remember feeling that this was kind of odd considering that many years had passed since the end of Dragon Ball GT, but at the same time, by looking at the subtitle of the OVA, I couldn't help but getting excited for the return of (by that time) my favorite franchise.

The OVA has aged pretty well as far as I'm concerned. It's still an enjoyable material, one where you can just seat back and relax while watching a great slice of life moment for the characters. It expands the lore by introducing the brother of the deuteragonist, Vegeta, and by keeping him alive, you can have more things to do with the Saiyans and with Tarble in general (but of course, they would just ignore this character because that's modern Dragon Ball for you :roll:).

And what about you? Do you remember anything from the time this OVA was released? What were you doing? How was your reaction toward this OVA? Share your case here with us!

Happy anniversary, Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! :D

~ Day of the Machines ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 pm

When I finally got around to watching The Final Chapters plus the two Toriyama Z movies, I made sure to watch this special before going to the two End of Z episodes. This special has a pretty odd but ultimately redundant place in the story, but obviously a special place in the franchise's history. It shares a lot of elements with Battle of Gods, in particular the setting being a casual party with everyone invited to celebrate a major event being crashed by a surprisingly insurmountable opponent. It's basically superseded by BoG so there's no reason to watch it in a run outside of curiosity's sake. That being said, this episode is also a sort of aftermath episode for the Buu saga considering the reason the party is being held. I've never been one for the silly "Goku defends the egg" plot for the show's post-Buu episode, so the Jump Special for me is better able to fill that spot before moving on to End of Z.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:06 pm

10 years later I still don't like this ova. I mean goten and trunks forgetting how to sense ki sucks.
Tarble sucks
Tarbles wife sucks
Goten and trunks not one shotting kaba and Abba sucks (I know they did in manga but still)
Ect ect.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Ssjcell wrote:10 years later I still don't like this ova. I mean goten and trunks forgetting how to sense ki sucks.
Tarble sucks
Tarbles wife sucks
Goten and trunks not one shotting kaba and Abba sucks (I know they did in manga but still)
Ect ect.
Oh come on, transcend this hunger for battle, man. You shall see the wonders of life beyond that little concept. :)

~ Day of the Machines ~

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:10 years later I still don't like this ova. I mean goten and trunks forgetting how to sense ki sucks.
Tarble sucks
Tarbles wife sucks
Ect ect.
Oh come on, transcend this hunger for battle, man. You shall see the wonders of life beyond that little concept. :)
I'm just Saiyan

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 pm

I still cross my fingers every now and then hoping we would get a box set (Similar to the Yu Yu Hakusho one) with OVAs. This one, episode of Bardock, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy