Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - 10 years!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - 10 years!

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am

Yes, you read the thread's title correct! Tarble, Gure, the brief appearance of Launch, Abo and Cado... Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, an Original Video Animation (OVA) that was the very first piece of new and original content to the Dragon Ball franchise of 2000s, is turning ten years this year! Feels old yet!?

But this is not a thread just to celebrate its debut and the introduction of new characters and new content, but also a look back over the last decade and how Dragon Ball has grown so far. After all, one decade later, from that 34-minute OVA that was simply made to celebrate Shonen Jump's anniversary, we are now getting a new movie, the third one! Much has happened in the mean time. Let's take a brief look:

• 2008: The OVA was made in honor of Weekly Jump’s 40th anniversary, Shueisha’s annual Jump Festa hosted a tour to 10 cities across Japan entitled the “Jump Super Anime Tour - The Jump Heroes Great-Gathering”. The tour screened seven newly-animated specials or shorts from popular series serialized in various Jump anthologies, one of which was Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! not only would bring back the old and beloved cast, as well as introduce new characters, two of them were villains that, as the narrator says at the end of the animation, weren't strong enough to oppose our heroes to ever be remembered. In contrast, what appeared to be a new support to the main cast would shock the entire world, the fans of Dragon Ball would see the arrival of a new survivor of the planet Vegeta's destruction, a Saiyan... Vegeta's younger brother!

• 2009: Following the debut of the OVA in 2008, Ooishi Naho would adapt it into a manga format. The manga adaptation was divided in half, the first one being released on March 21st, 2009 and the second on April 21st, 2009 in two separate issues of V-Jump. The manga sees some differences from its anime counterpart: Tarble's hair is similar to Vegeta's instead of Gohan's, for instance. Still, it was a very close adaptation and a new way to see Dragon Ball, as Ooishi Naho's art style significantly differs from what we were used to see back in the day. This year also marks the release of Dragon Ball Evolution, a live-action movie from Hollywood.

• 2010: We see the release of what it took for Akira Toriyama approximately five years working in its development, the MMORPG game called Dragon Ball Online launched on February 5th. As the game barely made its way to other countries, many people does not know about it and did not have the chance to play while it was alive, the game was closed in September 2013, however, despite its short-lived running, it added a mine of gold content to the franchise and it graciously lives through Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

• 2011: It was announced that a short manga would be drawn by Ooishi Naho and would focus Goku's father, Bardock, achieving a new Super Saiyan transformation. This manga was entitled Episode of Bardock and was set as a new “sequel” story to the original TV special. The story was released in three parts over the course of August, September, and October 2011’s V-Jump issues. Although Akira Toriyama had no involvement with the story’s plot development, he did provide the character design for Chilled, the manga’s main villain and for planet Plant's inhabitants. At the 2012's Jump Festa event, an anime adaptation would be presented, featuring an all-new animation and quality, reflecting a new era that Dragon Ball was about to enter.

• 2013: The first theatrical movie for the Dragon Ball franchise in 17 years, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, was premiered nationwide in Japan on March 30, 2013, and unlike the franchise’s previous movies it is a singular film not associated with any seasonal event hosted by Toei. It was the very first time the author himself, Akira Toriyama, would be heavily involved with its production, from designs to the actual story, also unlike previous movies, where Toriyama would only provide some designs and check the already set story by Toei. This year also marks the release of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, an 11-chapter new series from Akira Toriyama that was published via Shueisha. “Jaco the Galactic Patrolman” (銀河パトロールジャコ; Ginga Patorōru Jako) was teased as having possible connections with Dragon Ball, and was soon-after described as the “shocking revival of Dragon Ball!!”.

• 2014: One year later after the conclusion of the new manga drawn by Akira Toriyama, a new extra chapter to Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman manga that was also drawn by the author was released; Dragon Ball Minus: Castaway Child of Destiny. In it, we get to know Toriyama's version of how Goku came to Earth and the very first appearance of Goku's mother, Gine!

• 2015: Following the success of the previous movie, the franchise’s first film in 17 years, a sequel was announced in mid-July 2014 to debut during the 2015 “Golden Week” holidays nationwide in Japan, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’. Freeza would turn out to be responsible for the tagline: "the worst wish in history. That is the beginning of despair". On April 28, 2015, Toei Animation officially announced that production was underway on the all-new TV series for the Dragon Ball franchise in 18 years. The series was later announced for a July 05, 2015 debut on Fuji TV, taking over the Dragon Ball Kai time slot. Dragon Ball Super begins by retelling the last two movies before adding new characters and adventures to the main cast.

• 2018: All of a sudden, a new Dragon Ball movie was announced at 2017 Jump Festa due to see its release in December 2018 in the Japanese theaters. The story revolves around the origin of the Saiyans. It is be the third movie of 2010s time period, in which the author, Akira Toriyama, once again provides the script and character designs.

What do you think about Dragon Ball's journey over the last decade? It started with an OVA and will end with a new movie to hopefully continue to put a smile on the face of every Dragon Ball fan for the next years that have yet to come!

Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!'s actual commemorative date is on September 21st, but we do not have to wait for it, do we? This is its year, so happy anniversary! :D

Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - 10 years!

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 am

Recently I did a modern DBZ binge and bought The Final Chapters, GT and the two movies. After finishing The Final Chapters, I watched the Jump Special before moving on to Battle of Gods to keep the chronology going. One thing I found interesting is that the setup to both is remarkably similar: a commemorative event has a significant amount of the gang come together, and the party is crashed by the villain of the picture (which makes it amusing that Tarble is referenced in BoG!). I liked the Jump Special in the context of it being a Dragon Ball thing after a long absence, but I feel in the long run it's lost its lasting relevancy outside of being the first new thing in a long while. I think a bigger focus on Tarble would have helped its longevity, but that wasn't the point of the piece so it's hard to be too critical about that.

One aspect about the Jump Special that I think was missing from BoG, at least from an English-preference perspective, is a bunch of characters doing their thing again. It was awesome to see guys like Krillin and Yamcha getting back in the fray and helping out.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 am

Oh man, I remember theorizing about who the younger Vegeta-look-a-like was before the special came out; my crazy theory was that he was actually kid Vegeta and there were time travel shenanigans involved.

I was also excited to see Launch and the prospect of her finally meeting Vegeta; yet she didn't speak a word in the special and ultimately they don't share any scenes.

I liked the special though; the animation style was cool, the ending song I enjoyed and still wished the mythical full version of Orange Hero was readily available, Goku's gardening scarf was so cute; I dug the ending with Goku and Vegeta arguing while eating each other's last saved food (I think Goku's was pork and Vegeta's was sushi?).
Tarble's kind of come and gone (and been quasi-replaced by Cabba) he was ok, but just like Cabba kinda bland of a character.

I remember having to download some kind of official Shueisha anniversary program to watch the special officially (and I think they had subs in 4 languages...English, Japanese, French, German? Could be wrong on which languages.)

2008 Jump Special was good times. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 am

Yeah, I remember this came out around the same time as Infinite World. Looking back, the return of DB did really start here and it's nice to have a special that exists before the gods and new transformations. Whenever I listen to Orange Hero, I get a sense of nostalgia because it takes me back to when I was a kid and simpler times. Don't mean to be THAT guy, but it still sucks Funimation hasn't dubbed this one yet (even if I know why). Maybe this year since it's been ten years? Most likely not, but a guy can dream right?

Random note, my posts are now never usually this short compared to everyone else's so that's a shock. :)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 am

mecha3000 wrote:Don't mean to be THAT guy, but it still sucks Funimation hasn't dubbed this one yet (even if I know why). Maybe this year since it's been ten years? Most likely not, but a guy can dream right?
I archive binged the podcast last year and it seemed like for four years straight Mike predicted that Funimation would dub the special. I think he also theorized that one reason why it hasn't is because the special was commissioned by Shueisha, not Toei.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:04 am

KBABZ wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:Don't mean to be THAT guy, but it still sucks Funimation hasn't dubbed this one yet (even if I know why). Maybe this year since it's been ten years? Most likely not, but a guy can dream right?
I archive binged the podcast last year and it seemed like for four years straight Mike predicted that Funimation would dub the special. I think he also theorized that one reason why it hasn't is because the special was commissioned by Shueisha, not Toei.
As of right now I don't think a single international license has it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 am

While I'm all for looking back and celebrating some decade anniversaries (and we in fact plan on one ourselves later this year for this item)... well, that's the thing: its anniversary is in September, so we're pretty far off. Let's not jump the gun too much on certain things!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 am

KBABZ wrote:but I feel in the long run it's lost its lasting relevancy outside of being the first new thing in a long while.
It did lose its relevancy but only because no one in the production side knows how to deal with stuff. One would imagine that his mention in Movie 14 would lead to something but they screwed up. :| It was just a mention and that's it. It seems the OVA only lives through the ones who consider the movies canonical over the retellings. It makes me sad that the first piece of material that originally brought back the franchise back has been reduced to nothing these days.
Chuquita wrote:Oh man, I remember theorizing about who the younger Vegeta-look-a-like was before the special came out; my crazy theory was that he was actually kid Vegeta and there were time travel shenanigans involved.

2008 Jump Special was good times. :mrgreen:
It was indeed! I remember the first time I got to know this OVA, it was literally September 2009, one year later. An image of Tarble pop out in a social media that time and got me like "da hell?". Then I went crazy searching for the source and found out that an OVA had been released, I got very happy and excited to see something new. The OVA was longer than what I was expecting so I enjoyed it thoroughly. I liked Tarble, it was weird seeing a cool Saiyan after years of "Saiyans are brutal" so Tarble's brand new personality is still a highlight to me, even after we got to learn that there were other Saiyans like him. He is the first of a not-so-new-kind.
mecha3000 wrote:Looking back, the return of DB did really start here and it's nice to have a special that exists before the gods and new transformations. Whenever I listen to Orange Hero, I get a sense of nostalgia because it takes me back to when I was a kid and simpler times.
I agree completely. That's why I don't understand Jaco the Galactic Patrolman's tagline "the shocking revival of Dragon Ball" when literally the subtitle of this OVA denotes the comeback of the franchise to the audience. Orange Hero became a notable soundtrack to me in both quality and that it also marks the return of Dragon Ball, like, it's a perfect theme to bring back everyone, right?
VegettoEX wrote:While I'm all for looking back and celebrating some decade anniversaries (and we in fact plan on one ourselves later this year for this item)... well, that's the thing: its anniversary is in September, so we're pretty far off. Let's not jump the gun too much on certain things!
I wouldn't create the thread just to celebrate a piece of material, that's why I also added my own look back. It's more in general thing, people can also add other stuff that were released during the course of the last decade while revisiting the OVA until the actual date comes.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:14 pm

IT's all been great for Dragon Ball, really. Let's not forget about Kai, and how it served as redemption for the English dub. It's also a great thing that Dragon Ball was not rebooted at any point. The really easy thing to do with a property that's being picked up 10-20 years later, is to reboot it. But thankfully, Toei hadn't done that. It's weird, though -- the Jump special introduced us to Table and then... he was gone never to be seen or heard from again.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Man... I completely forgot about Dragon Ball Kai... I freaking remembered Dragon Ball Evolution and the anime went totally blank in my mind! :oops: *facepalm*

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:Man... I completely forgot about Dragon Ball Kai... I freaking remembered Dragon Ball Evolution and the anime went totally blank in my mind! :oops: *facepalm*
That's funny because Dragon Ball Evolution completely slipped my mind and I didn't even think to include it in the list lol

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Grimlock wrote:
KBABZ wrote:but I feel in the long run it's lost its lasting relevancy outside of being the first new thing in a long while.
It did lose its relevancy but only because no one in the production side knows how to deal with stuff. One would imagine that his mention in Movie 14 would lead to something but they screwed up. :| It was just a mention and that's it. It seems the OVA only lives through the ones who consider the movies canonical over the retellings. It makes me sad that the first piece of material that originally brought back the franchise back has been reduced to nothing these days.
A few things, firstly Tarble has no story purpose at all, the same with Tights in fact the latter's appearance in modern DB was only so Bulma could contact Jaco. Jaco serves more story purposes since he is a Galactic Patrolman and know the galaxy off hand eg him knowing about Zuno. What does or will Tarble ever accomplish story wise? Nothing that no other current character can, we already have the ying and yang of Goku and Vegeta so it is not like he would serve any relationship purposes either.

Secondly, it is not reduced to nothing as Goku is still a farmer etc the main OVA story just didn't expand anything to the lore to require anything to be mentioned.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Tarble has no story purpose at all, the same with Tights in fact the latter's appearance in modern DB was only so Bulma could contact Jaco. Jaco serves more story purposes since he is a Galactic Patrolman and know the galaxy off hand eg him knowing about Zuno. What does or will Tarble ever accomplish story wise? Nothing that no other current character can, we already have the ying and yang of Goku and Vegeta so it is not like he would serve any relationship purposes either.
To be fair Puar doesn't really serve any story purpose either.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Tarble has no story purpose at all, the same with Tights in fact the latter's appearance in modern DB was only so Bulma could contact Jaco. Jaco serves more story purposes since he is a Galactic Patrolman and know the galaxy off hand eg him knowing about Zuno. What does or will Tarble ever accomplish story wise? Nothing that no other current character can, we already have the ying and yang of Goku and Vegeta so it is not like he would serve any relationship purposes either.
To be fair Puar doesn't really serve any story purpose either.
That just adds to my point how often is Puar used or seen in modern DB? Hardly ever in fact they've only been used once to shapeshift into Beerus to trick Goku so you could even say that's already a one up over Tarble.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Remember how this special made Trunks and Goten the main characters, a natural continuation from the Buu arc, unlike what Super does and treats them like they don't exist?

Yeah, I remember.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:A few things, firstly Tarble has no story purpose at all,
He should have had if he had stayed on Earth, he would've been the one helping in the ritual and would've been more natural instead of that bizarre thing with Videl (and then Toei went ahead and made her hair blonde... :crazy:).
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Jaco serves more story purposes since he is a Galactic Patrolman and know the galaxy off hand eg him knowing about Zuno.
Yeah, but he also simply and conveniently disappear in Future Trunks saga, when he actually should have been around as the theme was time traveling, in which he is somewhat connected with it. However, Jaco is nowhere to be seen to serve more purpose... :roll:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What does or will Tarble ever accomplish story wise? Nothing that no other current character can, we already have the ying and yang of Goku and Vegeta so it is not like he would serve any relationship purposes either.
As mentioned above, he could at least help Goku achieving Super Saiyan God before departing. Only if we stretch a lot, another character can accomplish it (Videl, as also mentioned above). The production can pull a lot of stuff for Tarble actually, otherwise there wouldn't be anything in regards to Dragon Ball, but the franchise always surprise in coming up with more stuff to tell (even if it's rehashing).
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Secondly, it is not reduced to nothing as Goku is still a farmer etc the main OVA story just didn't expand anything to the lore to require anything to be mentioned.
Only because the current story doesn't involve good Saiyans. But I really don't know how introducing for the first time a Universe 7 good Saiyan didn't expand the lore...
precita wrote:Remember how this special made Trunks and Goten the main characters, a natural continuation from the Buu arc, unlike what Super does and treats them like they don't exist?

Yeah, I remember.
So do I. One would expect that after the OVA, Goten and Trunks would be more valorized but since they aren't named Goku... :roll:

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Damn 10 years... I remember seeing it probably a year or two after it came out thinking wow a new dragon ball episode cool. I really enjoy the episode it's kinda how I wanted the show to end and not the way it actually did. This special really captures the dragon ball essences, with it's goofs, gafs and action. The end credits really made me feel nostalgic.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

It was a nice special.

I had hoped (and still hope) Tarble would reappear one day.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Is Tarble considered canon? In the Beerus movie they mentioned him, but then in the episode adaptions in Super they removed that line.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: A few things, firstly Tarble has no story purpose at all, the same with Tights in fact the latter's appearance in modern DB
Not so, Tarble served a very specific plot purpose in the special, which was to indirectly bring Abo and Kado to Earth. As a character, his kind nature is a good way of showing just how deep Vegeta's elitism goes-- his preconceptions about power and class run so deep, that he even rejects his own brother because he's weaker than a typical Saiyan elite. Seems you can't take the prince out of Vegeta, even when he's reformed.

As for Tights, it's true she was just a cool cameo/Easter Egg for fans of the Jaco manga, but with Super still ongoing, I wouldn't be surprised if she appears in a slightly greater capacity in future arcs. One of the great things about Super is how it really makes use of its expansive cast: for example, Jaco and Bulma got their own episode, Great Saiyaman got a two-parter, and even the Dr. Slump characters played a major role in one ep. So Tights may get the spotlight herself, at one point...
Chuquita wrote:Oh man, I remember theorizing about who the younger Vegeta-look-a-like was before the special came out; my crazy theory was that he was actually kid Vegeta and there were time travel shenanigans involved.
That would have been an interesting premise!
Chuquita wrote:Tarble's kind of come and gone (and been quasi-replaced by Cabba)
Indeed-- I'm actually kind of wondering now if Vegeta's mentor/pupil friendship with Cabba might actually get him to consider reaching out to his brother. Probably not, since Tarble doesn't seem as interested in getting stronger the way Cabba does, but well, we'll see :p

I was rewatching the beginning of the Yo! special the other day and yeah, it's crazy to think how far the Dragon Ball revival's come since then. I always thought it was really fun-- I liked Goku and Vegeta's humorous bickering (like brothers) and Gohan coaching Trunks and Goten. I liked Tarble and Gure, too, and wouldn't mind seeing more of them-- maybe they'll cameo in Super at some point?