The DUB for Dragon Ball Super and Kai is available on services outside of Adult Swims, Yes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

The DUB for Dragon Ball Super and Kai is available on services outside of Adult Swims, Yes?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 am

If so then why can't the episode line follow that schedule? The managers of Toonami/[AS] are completely unprofessional and shouldn't be trusted with when new episodes get put on air.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The DUB for Dragon Ball Super and Kai is available on services outside of Adult Swims, Yes?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Sorry to say that there are, but only up to the latest Adult Swim Toonami airing. So yes, they do call the shots on when we are getting new episodes.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The DUB for Dragon Ball Super and Kai is available on services outside of Adult Swims, Yes?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:If so then why can't the episode line follow that schedule? The managers of Toonami/[AS] are completely unprofessional and shouldn't be trusted with when new episodes get put on air.
Your question and analysis makes very little sense. What is leading you to believe anyone is "unprofessional" and "shouldn't be trusted"...?

FUNimation has an agreement with Cartoon Network / Adult Swim for English dubbed episodes to debut on that channel. And they do. They have been doing so for a year at this point.

Furthermore, the broadcast (just about to hit the Future Trunks arc) is even ahead of the home release (just about to hit the Universe 6 vs. 7 tournament).

What exactly are you upset about? There is no world in which FUNimation didn't try to get working on the series as soon as they possibly could with whatever arrangements they could make, and beyond that, the simulcast of the original Japanese version began on multiple services ahead of that and continues to this day.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote:If so then why can't the episode line follow that schedule? The managers of Toonami/[AS] are completely unprofessional and shouldn't be trusted with when new episodes get put on air.
Your question and analysis makes very little sense. What is leading you to believe anyone is "unprofessional" and "shouldn't be trusted"...?

FUNimation has an agreement with Cartoon Network / Adult Swim for English dubbed episodes to debut on that channel. And they do. They have been doing so for a year at this point.

Furthermore, the broadcast (just about to hit the Future Trunks arc) is even ahead of the home release (just about to hit the Universe 6 vs. 7 tournament).

What exactly are you upset about? There is no world in which FUNimation didn't try to get working on the series as soon as they possibly could with whatever arrangements they could make, and beyond that, the simulcast of the original Japanese version began on multiple services ahead of that and continues to this day.
Take last year's April Fools day for example. At that time Samurai Jack and Super were among the shows that gave them the most ratings and they just casually delayed it for a childish joke. And it didn't stop nor begin there. Toonami has been constantly delaying Super for the most inane reasons and at this point we might not even finish the black arc before 2019

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Cartoon Network does not own Dragon Ball. They're going to put an investment into events with material they do own the full rights to ahead of something they don't own.

It seems bizarre to complain about Super being preempted by something on April Fool's Day when Dragon Ball Z itself preempted regular programming on a previous April Fool's Day (2012).

The show has been airing successfully for a year, continues to air, and is even ahead of the home release. Furthermore, the original Japanese version is available for viewing accurately subtitled within an hour of its broadcast.

This is all a non-issue and comes across as incredibly strange and entitled.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Cartoon Network does not own Dragon Ball. They're going to put an investment into events with material they do own the full rights to ahead of something they don't own.

It seems bizarre to complain about Super being preempted by something on April Fool's Day when Dragon Ball Z itself preempted regular programming on a previous April Fool's Day (2012).
That wasn't cool either. The only difference is this was way more out of line considering we actually missed out on an episode. I don't pay for that side of cable to watch a depressing old man preach to me about the pointlessness of life for 3 hours while the only reasons I payed for [AS] are being unjustifiably ran out of their schedule
VegettoEX wrote:
The show has been airing successfully for a year, continues to air, and is even ahead of the home release. Furthermore, the original Japanese version is available for viewing accurately subtitled within an hour of its broadcast.
And we're just finishing the Universe 6 saga. We've started first and I'd even go to say that we're either behind or slightly above the other dubs in terms of episodes. At this point I'm starting to worry we won't even get to episode 70 before the end of the year.
VegettoEX wrote: This is all a non-issue and comes across as incredibly strange and entitled.
What does entitlement have to do anything about this? Even if I did feel entitled it would be rightfully so considering I only tune in to and support their channel just to watch Super. Having to deal with them delaying the episodes over and over for the littlest of reasons isn't what I signed up for and it's frustrating how Adult Swims is the only way they're showing new episodes.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am

Your responses continue to be bizarre. I don't know how much I can keep explaining the same things over and over to you again and again in different ways, but I will try again with some additional context that you were perhaps not aware of.

Looking at the international market, it's clear that all dubs of Dragon Ball Super were not going to move forward until individual television broadcast deals were made, seemingly at the insistence of Toei... FUNimation and their English dub included. Deals were certainly made as soon as they reasonably could have been achieved, and each sub-licensor moved forward appropriately from there. For FUNimation, that was lining up the deal with Cartoon Network (perhaps in addition to any other networks they may have been in talks with), and that happened to be for the start of 2016.

They started, they have continued, and a more-than-reasonable number of episodes have been produced and released in that timeframe. All the meanwhile, the original Japanese version of the show is available for streaming fully subtitled within an hour of its broadcast. The content of the series is not being held back from you, and is even available to watch for free.

That you seem to have this hang-up on the number of English dubbed episodes broadcast on cable is, again, bizarre. Cartoon Network is not an exclusive Dragon Ball channel... and yet, nearly ever week was filled with a "new" (read: English dubbed) episode, all ahead of even the home video release.

If there's anyone for you to direct your anger toward, it's Toei for insisting on a television broadcast before distribution could begin, and Toei again for not providing the international market a legal means of viewing the show at all for over 60 episodes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:[spoiler]
VegettoEX wrote: This is all a non-issue and comes across as incredibly strange and entitled.
[/spoiler]
What does entitlement have to do anything about this? Even if I did feel entitled it would be rightfully so considering I only tune in to and support their channel just to watch Super. Having to deal with them delaying the episodes over and over for the littlest of reasons isn't what I signed up for and it's frustrating how Adult Swims is the only way they're showing new episodes.
And that right there is one of the most entitled statements you can make. "Me being upset is justified because I only care about X, not Y or Z, so they should only do X!" I'd hate to break it to you, but you're not the only one that tunes in and supports their channel.

They are a TV channel. They have other things to show. I pay for Hulu and Netflix and things keep flying off of their libraries. Should I get mad about it? I could get upset, sure, but should I rant about how they shouldn't do it? It's all a complex thing and honestly, they're not bound to your demands.

You want to show them that you're unhappy? Do it with your wallet. If not, then you kind of are subject to their terms and actions. I think it's unreasonable to call them "unprofessional" and say that they can't be trusted because they skipped on Super [relatively] a few times.

Toonami has been constantly delaying Super for the most inane reasons and at this point we might not even finish the black arc before 2019
How "constantly" have they delayed Super? The first episode aired on January 7, 2017 and they just aired episode 45. In this entire year, they missed seven episodes out of 52. I wouldn't consider that to be "constant."

I can understand and appreciate that you're upset, but they really don't owe you anything. As VegettoEX said, Cartoon Network are not the Dragon Ball Network. When you buy the Cartoon Network package, they shouldn't assume that it's for Dragon Ball, as DB is but a miniscule fraction of what they offer. They have Dragon Ball content for an hour a week (is it?), which means that the overwhelming majority of their programming is not Dragon Ball. Thus, I think it's hard to fashion an argument that they must make Dragon Ball content as their priority, as they have a ton of other things to crank out. Believe me, though, they have some highly intelligent people who go ahead and greenlight these types of decisions to maximize their opportunities, so to call them "unprofessional" and say that they "shouldn't be trusted" is a very harsh statement. These terms (interrupting Super) were known to Funimation in advance (I'm extremely sure about this), and that's what they signed up for. So while it's frustrating, it's the best you've got because without Cartoon Network in the picture, who knows how much longer you'd have to wait just to get the dub?

Why not be grateful to Cartoon Network for being the network to give you Dragon Ball Super and thus, being responsible for the dub being made when it was? Yes, you can argue that if it wasn't them, it might have been someone else, but do you know that for sure? The reality of things is that as it stands, the Cartoon Network deal has been a blessing for the fans who wanted a Dragon Ball Super dub. But if you insist on being upset, why don't you email them and see what they tell you?