Nicktoons Generation: Did the Cell to GT timeskip confuse you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Nicktoons Generation: Did the Cell to GT timeskip confuse you?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:39 pm

If there's any fans on here who grew up or got into Dragon Ball through the Nicktoons airings of Kai, the movies, and GT: Did Nicktoons not airing the Buu Saga throw you off? I know Kai's Buu Saga didn't exist yet, but still - I find it interesting that Nicktoons was trying to promote GT as the NEXT CHAPTER IN THE DRAGON BALL JOURNEY after the Cell Arc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60yfJaLccNU). Certain promos even have to recap the characters that fans didn't know from the Buu Saga like Goten (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NriY-rksTnQ) and Pan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBTa-4H_P8). Don't know why they re-explained Gohan, guess they had to because of the absence of Buu-era Gohan being introduced. Even their Goku one never mentions the Buu Saga(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yh-M3CndeY). So yeah, were you guys confused at all about no explanation for Majin Buu and all of the Buu-era stuff? Or did you know from video games or looking up the series online? I guess if you ignore the Buu Saga, you could kind of see GT as a Batman Beyond sorta thing with new characters? Maybe? Honestly, I have no idea why Funimation and Nicktoons didn't just air Z's Buu Saga on Nicktoons and then go into GT.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Nicktoons Generation: Did the Cell to GT timeskip confuse you?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I think it did. I think GT killed the ratings. It was that bad.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Why would it confuse them? The Toonami generation had DBZ first before DB and they didn't care. Not to mention, there is a bigger generation gap between the two generation. The Nick Toons Generation had the whole series from the start to finish officially both on DVD and Manga form. If kids wanted to see what happen to Cell, they can officially read the manga or buy the DVD's. Not to mention, they have way easier access to the Internet to find things. During the old Toonami days, most people only had one Computer in their house while kids watching Kai on Nick Toons had Smart Phones and probably two Computers in their house.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Ratings on nicktoons weren't even half as what they were on Cartoon Network a decade ago. Plus these days streaming media exist unlike the early 2000's, kids probably watched episodes online.

Do people really not know the difference between 1998-2005 or so, and these days in the 2010's+? Most kids watch shows online than on TV. We're the "older generation" who is used to VHS tapes and scheduled programming on TV. Kids these days have it easy.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 pm

People don't give kids enough credit. No offense, but I notice half of this site are totally sheltered when growing up. I take it most of you guys had no idea about anything other then shows on CN, Nick, the Disney Afternoon or Fox Kids and rated E games as a kid. Most of you as kids had no idea about the current world and the pop culture as a kid. Kids can easily use the Internet or ask their parents to get more DB stuff for them if they want to see what happens after the Cell saga.
She/Her

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I grew up in the Nicktoons generation and, oddly enough, wasn't confused at all. My only exposure to the Boo arc was in video games, so I'm not sure how I picked up on so much back then. I'm pretty confident I didn't have Raging Blast yet at the time, so it wouldn't have been that game's story mode, as supplementary as it would've been.

So, I'm not sure what did it for me in the long run. I guess I just put two and two together using Supersonic Warriors (the only DB game I had at the time)...?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

precita wrote: Do people really not know the difference between 1998-2005 or so, and these days in the 2010's+? Most kids watch shows online than on TV. We're the "older generation" who is used to VHS tapes and scheduled programming on TV. Kids these days have it easy.
It is probably most people here think kids these days are the same when they were kids. That's probably why.
She/Her

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
precita wrote: Do people really not know the difference between 1998-2005 or so, and these days in the 2010's+? Most kids watch shows online than on TV. We're the "older generation" who is used to VHS tapes and scheduled programming on TV. Kids these days have it easy.
It is probably most people here think kids these days are the same when they were kids. That's probably why.
I just want to add something, though. I was there for the first wave of DBZ when it hit the U.S. -- mid-90s. By 1998, every kid I knew was all over the internet (granted, it was primitive by comparison, but an internet nonetheless) and knew a ton about DB/Z/GT that theyv'e never physically seen. We knew that it was censored, we knew it was a Japanese show, and we knew that there was much more to come.

So what I'm saying is that to anyone who actually cares, even back then, this information was accessible. Maybe the series itself was not as accessible as it is today, but there really shouldn't be any confusion about the series. Now, though, the info is even more available, so there really is no reason for kids to be confused. As long as the DB franchise has existed in the U.S., if you were conused by something and cared enough about it, you could clear up anything with a simple search.

By the way, in addition to just Kai and GT, the "Nicktoons Generation" also had yearly video game releases where they can basically relive the series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I remember kids that I knew during the Toonami era use the Internet too and would look up gifs of the series. I also use the web at the time too look up info on the series and end up discovering fan websites. I guess most people here as kids during the prime days of the DBZ dub probably didn't had Internet access at home.
She/Her

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember kids that I knew during the Toonami era use the Internet too and would look up gifs of the series. I also use the web at the time too look up info on the series and end up discovering fan websites. I guess most people here as kids during the prime days of the DBZ dub probably didn't had Internet access at home.
Maybe, but having older siblings/friends, and/or younger parents can make a difference to how tech savvy kids get a chance to be with those influences around them. At a very young age I was exposed to horror games, the internet, Mature entertainment due to an older sibling and friends.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think it did. I think GT killed the ratings. It was that bad.
GT did pretty well on Nicktoons actually if memory serves me right.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:People don't give kids enough credit. No offense, but I notice half of this site are totally sheltered when growing up. I take it most of you guys had no idea about anything other then shows on CN, Nick, the Disney Afternoon or Fox Kids and rated E games as a kid. Most of you as kids had no idea about the current world and the pop culture as a kid. Kids can easily use the Internet or ask their parents to get more DB stuff for them if they want to see what happens after the Cell saga.
Some of the responses don't seem to completely fit your point even though I agree with what you're saying (https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/7 ... ed_by_the/).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think it did. I think GT killed the ratings. It was that bad.
Then why did Nicktoons sat on the Buu Kai bidding war? Dragon Ball went from network darling to pariah in just a few months. Unless they did bid and were outbid by the Toonami crew.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Then why did Nicktoons sat on the Buu Kai bidding war? Dragon Ball went from network darling to pariah in just a few months. Unless they did bid and were outbid by the Toonami crew.
What does GT have to do with Buu Kai???
Buu Kai wasn't even dubbed when GT aired on Nicktoons.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 pm

They could have still waited to buy the rights. HECK! There were rumors that Buu Kai was dubbed already but had to wait for Adult Swim to announce it!

The Buu arc was partly made because Nicktoons did so well to boot.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

No, because I had bought the manga and completed the Buu arc on multiple video games.

Son Perfect

Post by Son Perfect » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm

i had took my curiosity to the internet during the early freeza arc of Kai and it spoiled everything
all it did was bother me that they aired GT and the Boo arc movies, completely skipping boo
I love Gohan a bit too much...