Does Gotenks have the most "unique character" of all the canon fusions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does Gotenks have the most "unique character" of all the canon fusions?

Post by precita » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:10 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while but Gotenks really does feel like a separate character than Trunks/Goten.

Whereas Vegetto just largely feels like Goku/Vegeta combined, Gogeta barely got any character, and Kefla largely just felt like Caulifa with green hair. Hell even Supreme Kai fused with Kibito was really just Shin's personality and Kibito vanished.

But Gotenks feels the most unique. Him in all the videogames too makes him feel like he's this "new son" of Goku or Vegeta rather than just two characters fused.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does Gotenks have the most "unique character" of all the canon fusions?

Post by Onibaku » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Well to me it feels like he's got Goten's playfulness and Trunks' arrogance. He reminds me more of Trunks tho

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 pm

I don't believe so. Gotenks is simply the son of Vegeto/Gogeta.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 pm

I've yet to come across a fusion character that can spit out exploding ghosts that look like themselves..

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I think he is, but the only comparison really is Vegetto. Gotenks is much more showy and attempts to make fights "dramatic" and of course has ridiculous moves, but aside from that he and Vegetto felt like they had almost identical character traits, mainly being extremely cocky.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am

If Saiyan/Namek Arc Vegeta is considered unique for you, guess Gotenks is

Cuz Gotenks gave = Namek Arc Vegeta vibe/personality

At least Vegito/Gogeta had proper fusion of Goku & Vegeta's personalities

Gotenks was Toriyama's way of substituting Veggie, only playfully

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 am

Unique in terms of abilities mainly. I actually think of the fusions, Vegetto has the most amount of depth to him. Yes, on the surface he's just a cocky showboater, but there's something interesting about the way the fusion of two very flawed, very prideful characters who don't even like fusing can create this perfect warrior who's 100% confident in his abilities. And not arrogant like Vegeta or naive like Goku either; Vegetto really does represent what the two of them would be without any of their flaws.

Which is weird, because every other fusion ends up being a regression of the two halves if anything. One thing people often forget about Gotenks is that Goten and Trunks were actually taking the threat of Majin Buu seriously when they first started training to unlock the fusion dance. They'd lost a bunch of close relatives, they knew the world was counting on them, they argued when Piccolo told them they didn't have what it took. That's what made it so jarring to finally have Gotenks come into being and just be this stereotypical over-the-top brat obsessed with looking cool. It's one of the reasons I couldn't stand that section of the show.

Pretty much the same goes for Kefla, though not to the same absurd degree as Gotenks. If anything, she ended up most like Vegeta, all prideful and smirking when she was winning, but when the tables turned all she could do was flip out and FIRE EVERYTHING. As for Merged Zamasu, well...blobby arm aside, we got exactly what it said on the tin with him.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 am

To be honest, i truly think that Fused Zamasu felt like the most unique fusion character in the series. Because even though he's the fusion between two Zamases whose personality and motives are actually quite similiar, his techniques were vastly different from any ever seen before. Yes, because i've never seen a Dragon Ball character fight in a stationary position using a Halo-shaped structure that can summon massive ethereal beings and fire lightnings or blade-shaped red Ki attacks. And his design also felt vastly unique, very reminiscent of Final Fantasy actually, which is a beautiful thing of course and sets him apart from any other character in the show. And it was fascinating how, separated, Black and Zamasu had perfect coordination and synergy (being the same person), but fused, Black and Zamasu conflicted, collided with each other, as their bodies had different states. Whereas with all other cases fusing was a good idea, in this particular scenario, fusion hindered the duo. Which is very interesting, because you would usually expect fusion to be a smart and brilliant move. And there was so much symbolism behind Fused Zamasu, the most blatant one of course being his body, that deteroriated into an ugly form as his sanity was slowly decaying.

And, obviously, Fused Zamasu is the first and only villain in the franchise who has been created by the Potara Fusion, so this already makes him one of the most unique and special characters in the entire franchise.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 am

Kataphrut wrote:Which is weird, because every other fusion ends up being a regression of the two halves if anything. One thing people often forget about Gotenks is that Goten and Trunks were actually taking the threat of Majin Buu seriously when they first started training to unlock the fusion dance. They'd lost a bunch of close relatives, they knew the world was counting on them, they argued when Piccolo told them they didn't have what it took. That's what made it so jarring to finally have Gotenks come into being and just be this stereotypical over-the-top brat obsessed with looking cool. It's one of the reasons I couldn't stand that section of the show.
I agree, I was quite shocked when I watched Z Kai's coverage of him and saw how dismissive he was, compared to how Goten was super-concentrated on training after Buu kills his mum. He's practically a Scrappy character, but the story gets away with it because a lot of the time he's bitten in the ass for it, from Buu escaping the Time Chamber to Buu flat-out absorbing them.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:To be honest, i truly think that Fused Zamasu felt like the most unique fusion character in the series. Because even though he's the fusion between two Zamases whose personality and motives are actually quite similiar, his techniques were vastly different from any ever seen before. Yes, because i've never seen a Dragon Ball character fight in a stationary position using a Halo-shaped structure that can summon massive ethereal beings and fire lightnings or blade-shaped red Ki attacks. And his design also felt vastly unique, very reminiscent of Final Fantasy actually, which is a beautiful thing of course and sets him apart from any other character in the show. And it was fascinating how, separated, Black and Zamasu had perfect coordination and synergy (being the same person), but fused, Black and Zamasu conflicted, collided with each other, as their bodies had different states. Whereas with all other cases fusing was a good idea, in this particular scenario, fusion hindered the duo. Which is very interesting, because you would usually expect fusion to be a smart and brilliant move. And there was so much symbolism behind Fused Zamasu, the most blatant one of course being his body, that deteroriated into an ugly form as his sanity was slowly decaying.

And, obviously, Fused Zamasu is the first and only villain in the franchise who has been created by the Potara Fusion, so this already makes him one of the most unique and special characters in the entire franchise.
I understand he's probably your favorite character, but man are you wanking him way too hard. Most of his attacks seemed insignificant and while you're right, they do look pulled out of Final Fantasy, they were still uninteresting and felt really out of place considering Zamasu and Black hadn't used anything like that before. The wings and the halo also looked like some kind of asspull design. If they were going for the "holy being from another realm" route I wish they would have explored that better.

Gotenks wins here.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:To be honest, i truly think that Fused Zamasu felt like the most unique fusion character in the series. Because even though he's the fusion between two Zamases whose personality and motives are actually quite similiar, his techniques were vastly different from any ever seen before. Yes, because i've never seen a Dragon Ball character fight in a stationary position using a Halo-shaped structure that can summon massive ethereal beings and fire lightnings or blade-shaped red Ki attacks. And his design also felt vastly unique, very reminiscent of Final Fantasy actually, which is a beautiful thing of course and sets him apart from any other character in the show. And it was fascinating how, separated, Black and Zamasu had perfect coordination and synergy (being the same person), but fused, Black and Zamasu conflicted, collided with each other, as their bodies had different states. Whereas with all other cases fusing was a good idea, in this particular scenario, fusion hindered the duo. Which is very interesting, because you would usually expect fusion to be a smart and brilliant move. And there was so much symbolism behind Fused Zamasu, the most blatant one of course being his body, that deteroriated into an ugly form as his sanity was slowly decaying.

I understand he's probably your favorite character, but man are you wanking him way too hard. Most of his attacks seemed insignificant and while you're right, they do look pulled out of Final Fantasy, they were still uninteresting and felt really out of place considering Zamasu and Black hadn't used anything like that before. The wings and the halo also looked like some kind of asspull design. If they were going for the "holy being from another realm" route I wish they would have explored that better.

Gotenks wins here.
That's like your opinion. Oh, forgive me if i find a character who represents the archetype of a fallen God, shows unique and special techniques that suit his theme, has a lot of symbolism behind his design, and overall fascinated me, more interesting than a spoiled brat who has the logic and personality of a toaster.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 am

To me, Gotenks is basically Trunks dialed up to max like Kefla is Caulifla dialed up to max. Very little traits of Goten and Kale, respectively.

I think Vegetto had the most "unique character" because I personally view him as a very good mix of Goku and Vegeta's qualities. But that's just my opinion.