Something fans should consider: From drought period to now

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Something fans should consider: From drought period to now

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Basaku wrote:Coming off a long break doesn't give anything a shield from criticism since that's what this really boils down to. Particularly when it comes to production quality, it's not like Toei and the entire Japan art industry took a 20 years break from animating... There's no excuse why Super looked the way it looked in the first 2 arcs. I'm glad the DB universe is back in a major way, but it doesn't mean I won't judge it accordingly
I definitely agree.

I've seen too many comment sections where people seem to accuse those criticizing Dragon Ball Super as people who are too uptight about the franchise or "not true DB fans).

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding it, any series should be open to criticism... otherwise, things might not improve.

And I agree that Super looks atrocious animation-wise in a lot of areas.... and I hate a lot of the inconsistencies that crop up in it with regards to the original series. It's because of this... that I have to treat DBS as an alternate story to keep myself from questioning things too much.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding it, any series should be open to criticism... otherwise, things might not improve.
I find criticism from fans to be the least useful for artists.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 pm

ABED wrote:
I can see where you are coming from. In fact, I think raging and ranting about something is probably not gonna help at all.

I think genuine criticism given with respect but also not sugar-coating is the best approach. Feedback is always important...
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
ABED wrote:
I can see where you are coming from. In fact, I think raging and ranting about something is probably not gonna help at all.

I think genuine criticism given with respect but also not sugar-coating is the best approach. Feedback is always important...
True, but the best and most useful feedback won't come from fans. It comes mostly from creative people whose opinions artists trust. I know there are fans who can give cogent criticisms, but the likelihood of any of them breaking through the noise and the sheer numbers of fans is slim.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

ABED wrote:True, but the best and most useful feedback won't come from fans. It comes mostly from creative people whose opinions artists trust. I know there are fans who can give cogent criticisms, but the likelihood of any of them breaking through the noise and the sheer numbers of fans is slim.
Yeah, I guess you're probably right.

I just wish there was a way to get through and make things actually change for the better when they don't meet expectations.

There's way too many people that bitch disrespectfully and it drowns out the legitimate criticisms that come from a good place.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Whether it's good or not, I'm glad Dragon Ball is getting any sort of media. That's what things need to survive, and a lot of series cease to create new media after a while and become less available for the generations that follow the ones that picked up the series in question.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Welp, folks - Looks like we're in for a new drought period. On a serious note, even with Super ending - We still don't know if a new series will be announced. There's also the 2018 movie, the ongoing Super dub, Super manga, video games, etc. But yeah, as of now - if the new movie is the last thing to come out of DB, we could very well be facing what I call, the SECOND DRAGON BALL DROUGHT. Still, I have to say - It'll be nice to have a period of time like the old days where Dragon Ball survived mainly on the fandom and merch once again. Super's caused DB to become less of a niche thing, so it's nice to think for a little while - It will once again have some time to be a niche thing again.

Also, most importantly: The main theme of this thread was to remind people that we shouldn't take Super for granted despite its flaws. Unless a new series is announced after the movie, it seems like fans will once again be forced to consider a reality where Dragon Ball isn't given to them and to appreciate what was given to them. Regardless of if a new series is indeed announced after Super's ending, I hope people take the time beforehand to ponder this.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Welp, folks - Looks like we're in for a new drought period. On a serious note, even with Super ending - We still don't know if a new series will be announced. There's also the 2018 movie, the ongoing Super dub, Super manga, video games, etc. But yeah, as of now - if the new movie is the last thing to come out of DB, we could very well be facing what I call, the SECOND DRAGON BALL DROUGHT. Still, I have to say - It'll be nice to have a period of time like the old days where Dragon Ball survived mainly on the fandom and merch once again. Super's caused DB to become less of a niche thing, so it's nice to think for a little while - It will once again have some time to be a niche thing again.

Also, most importantly: The main theme of this thread was to remind people that we shouldn't take Super for granted despite its flaws. Unless a new series is announced after the movie, it seems like fans will once again be forced to consider a reality where Dragon Ball isn't given to them and to appreciate what was given to them. Regardless of if a new series is indeed announced after Super's ending, I hope people take the time beforehand to ponder this.
Given that I went into DB knowing it was over for a while. It was over for about 20 years before we had any inkling that it was going to start up again, so I am more than fine with it ending.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:44 pm

ABED wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:Welp, folks - Looks like we're in for a new drought period. On a serious note, even with Super ending - We still don't know if a new series will be announced. There's also the 2018 movie, the ongoing Super dub, Super manga, video games, etc. But yeah, as of now - if the new movie is the last thing to come out of DB, we could very well be facing what I call, the SECOND DRAGON BALL DROUGHT. Still, I have to say - It'll be nice to have a period of time like the old days where Dragon Ball survived mainly on the fandom and merch once again. Super's caused DB to become less of a niche thing, so it's nice to think for a little while - It will once again have some time to be a niche thing again.

Given that I went into DB knowing it was over for a while. It was over for about 20 years before we had any inkling that it was going to start up again, so I am more than fine with it ending.
Has there been an official announcement that Dragon Ball Super is ending? I'm a bit confused.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
ABED wrote:

Has there been an official announcement that Dragon Ball Super is ending? I'm a bit confused.
No, but it's going to be replaced by another anime. Check out Kanzenshuu's main site as well as Geekdom's video for the info.