3 Main DB Canons Theory

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Perfect

Re: 3 Main DB Canons Theory

Post by Son Perfect » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Cipher wrote:
Son Perfect wrote:from my prospective there are 5

1. Toriyama's Original Work
- Original 42 Volumes of Dragon Ball

2. Toei's Original Broadcast Run
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z
(Includes TV Specials)

3. Toei's Bizzare Movie Continuum
- Dragon Ball
- the Dragon Ball movies
- Dragon Ball Z
- the Dragon Ball Z Movies
- Dragon Ball GT
( GT includes movie elements to it's cannon)
(Includes the TV specials and movies 18 + 19)

4. Toriyama/Toryotaro New Manga
- Original 42 Volumes of Dragon Ball
- New Dragon Ball Super manga

5. Toei's New Broadcast Run
- Dragon Ball Kai
- Dragon Ball Super
There is no ordained canon of course, but this is ninety-nine percent in line with how I think of the series.

Except the GT bit, which for me is the continuation of the slightly different Dragon Ball world Toei had built up during the original two adaptations (from which it takes elements like the Tsufuru-jin, the sacred water, and its particular vision of Hell). To place it continuity with a bunch of movies which are themselves incongruous as any kind of single timeline never made any sense to me, especially based on a blink-and-you'll-miss it cameo from Coola.

Of course this means I do tend to think of Movie 13 as having "happened" in the timeline of the original adaptations and GT.

The rest of the movies are just doing their own thing, except when they explicitly draw connections to one another (and even that only really works with the original Dragon Ball three).

(I personally tend to think of the new Toriyama movies as being part of the extra Toyotaro Super branch as well, just because its versions of their events are severely truncated and non-existent, respectively.)
things like the dragon fist and those SLIGHT appearances of the movie villains only stress a little bit of off cannon
GT without those little elements would 100% be with my original broadcast run continuum but I DID include them with a Dragon Ball + Dragon Ball

movie 13 can also have a place in the cannon (same with DBZ Movie 1 + 5 with minor tweaks) but in the end, it's still a movie in my eyes

movie 19 is a squeal to movie 18 and are titled with Z so IMO are in the movie cannon but toyotaro does draw them up in the manga as retells
so Z has their adaption of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and so does Super
the upcoming movie is unknown until we at least have a synopsis of what details it uses
I love Gohan a bit too much...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Interesting how few people have decided to put the Kanzenban manga into its own canon.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I always thought it was interesting if the movies and GT existed in the same universe.
The villains do appear...

One time I tried to make a version of the main story that was altered by the inconsistencies of the movies to see how much it differentiated from the actual anime.
I don't remember much about it... But I remember Piccolo must not have died against Nappa, as he's alive in films he should be dead in. It flowed fairly well until I got to GT, which has flash backs from Z that more then likely contradict what happened in movies.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 am

Ozotto wrote:I always thought it was interesting if the movies and GT existed in the same universe.
The villains do appear...

One time I tried to make a version of the main story that was altered by the inconsistencies of the movies to see how much it differentiated from the actual anime.
I don't remember much about it... But I remember Piccolo must not have died against Nappa, as he's alive in films he should be dead in.
Yeah, all that needs to happen is for Goku to revive a few minutes earlier to hand him a senzu, then Gohan can remember Piccolo's sacrifice in movie 2 without Piccolo actually having died in this continuity.