A Hero's legacy

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

A Hero's legacy

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Hey guys I wanted to make a part 2 topic about re-watching Dragonball GT and A Hero's legacy after yeaaaars!
I wanted to start off mostly with a Hero's legacy. I used to hate this movie so much and I never remembered why until I re-watched it. It is such a sad movie! :P
I really wont lie and I know this sounds pathetic but I got a bit teary eyed at certain parts! :P :lol: (Don't judge me! lol) With it taking place in the future and all our beloved characters gone and all that's left is pan and Goku jr, makes for a realllllly sad setting to me. but when pan had that heart attack(was it a heart attack?) and got put into the hospital and Goku Jr is crying saying he wants his grandma to be okay that really hit me hard because I'm currently losing my grandfather and my grandmother's health is slowly going down hill and it just really hurt! Who would have thought a cartoon stirring up so many emotions like that? :cry: But what made it worse is he sets out on an adventure to get ''The dragonball'' without having knowledge of the others in order for it to work and he gets upset and starts crying and you're like oh god man. :cry: :P I mean, it's worse than future Gohan's death! :lol: overall though I don't hate it like I once did but I think I had to be a lot older than I was and more mature and actually be put into the real situation that I am now to truly appreciate it more than last time. What do ya'll think of this movie or special? does it stir up emotions for you? We all know the weird things that don't make a lot of sense in Dragonball GT but I get a more positive feeling from the series now than I did in the past.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

mecha3000
Regular

Re: A Hero's legacy

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Funny thing is - A decade ago when I was a kid, I used to think that A Hero's Legacy was the future of the franchise. The whole premise of Goku and Vegeta's rivalry still existing within their descendants, a new Z-Fighter Krillin character in Puck, Pan mentoring the new generation in a better role for her as a character, the possible new Pilaf gang in Lord Yao's surviving crew, and Goku Jr. slowly acquiring his ancestor skills after Super Saiyan such as Kamehameha.

My point is, back in the day - A Hero's Legacy WAS the next step in Dragon Ball, at least it seemed so because of all the setup. Looking back on it, however, Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. are just clichéd ways of keeping Goku and Vegeta around in the future. Also, why would both of them be named after their ancestors? Just nitpicking, I guess. Still, it was a sad movie at times but it was also uplifting when Goku Jr. began to discover himself. That scene when he meets Goku is still classic.

I remember even wanting Goku Jr. to appear in the video games. At this point, though, I'd rather see Uub and Pan's storylines after Z. Still, I wouldn't mind if we got some spinoff manga, Heroes appearance, or even a future video game appearance out of Goku Jr. I'd like for them to expand upon his character in some small way because it seems like a waste to ditch him.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm

You know I never even thought about Lord Yao's crew as the new pilaf gang until now haha and Pan said the reason why he is called Goku Jr is because of how much he favors goku and his attitude so take that for what you will but I think you're more right about them just wanting to keep goku and vegeta around haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 pm

I love this TV special and i can't understand why some people hate it. But yeah, they mostly hate it for killing everyone aka showing that EVERYONE dies. Truth hurts the most i guess lol.

It's really awesome episode. I liked the adventure feeling, i loved Mamba and i absolutely adore ending. Seeing Goku with only one dragon ball shows that finally they became a legend, not something everyone can collect in one day. It's a good ending to GT and series overall although it should've been made and aired after GT, not after Baby arc. It's also very sad, especially that scene in a hospital. Damn.

It was also cool to see Goku Jr forgetting turning into SSJ despite actually having a reason for this. Well, it might not be the reason comparable to DBZ events and first SSJ or SSJ2 transformations, but it's still much better than Goten/Trunks. Not even mentioning saiyans in DBS that just turned into SSJ by focusing on their back.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm doing a rewatch of GT myself to go alongside the rebirth of the GT Review of Awesomeness, only I'm watching the dub and taking notes for that (how much has Funimation's scripting improved since they first started dubbing the show?). I did a bit of a rewatch of A Hero's Legacy, but I only saw the opening scene and the ending. I liked the opening for it referencing the very first panels of the manga with the rolling log and showing how Goku Jr. is useless at it, which shows that he is a very different character from his ancestor.

I also kinda like the duality that both GT specials show the first adventures of the start and the (known) end of the Goku family line; one has Goku leaving Mount Paoz, and the other has Goku Jr. returning to it. Does anyone else think that was intentional?
sunsetshimmer wrote:I love this TV special and i can't understand why some people hate it. But yeah, they mostly hate it for killing everyone aka showing that EVERYONE dies. Truth hurts the most i guess lol.
I personally didn't mind it. There's a big window before the EoZ for more stories to happen, and I'm of the mindset that Dragon Ball can still be Dragon Ball without having Goku and Vegeta and the gang (which appears to be a hot-button topic lately), and AHL is very far-removed from the existing characters due to the time gap with only Pan as the remaining legacy character (and even then she's more a GT character than a Z one at that point). Aside from being able to tell a new kind of story, I like it for the fact that it removed the Avengers Paradox that exists in the Marvel movies. For AHL, a lot of the tension would be gone if we knew in the back of our minds that Goku or Gohan or Goten or Videl or Vegeta or Trunks would swoop in at any moment; Goku Jr. is truly on his own for this adventure aside from the people he meets along the way, and that adds to the state of affairs at that time. It makes you think that Goku Jr. might have to rebuild the legacy of the Dragon Ball Gang, which once numbered over 20 characters, back up if he really wanted to.

I mean if folks really find AHL upsetting for having no Z characters, close your eyes and pretend that Nadolny is voicing Gohan again like the old days.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm

It's boring, but it's brief and there are a few moments here and there that are enjoyable. But it's boring and doesn't feel like DB at all.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.