How to ease the pain of the upcoming hiatus

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

How to ease the pain of the upcoming hiatus

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

I decided to post this here and not on the Super forum because this isn't necessarily about Super (and also because there's already enough posts over there). Now to my point: If Super ending really makes you sad, then just expand your horizons with Dragon Ball.

What I mean is, I'm almost 100% positive there's a good amount of fans who have never seen the original Dragon Ball series with Kid Goku. If this is the case, use Super's absence and pre-movie time to binge the entire original series so you understand character relationships (like Goku and Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, etc.) and techniques (Mafuba) better, and just the overall lore. Never seen Dragon Ball GT? Give it a chance because there's some good (no matter how small) that came out of GT so before judging it, maybe give it a watch yourself. How about Dragon Ball Kai? Better dub for that, at least and a more condensed DBZ if you've never seen Kai before and don't feel like watching all of Z. Also, if you never checked out some of the earlier movies or even the more recent specials, give those a watch as well. Then, there's the ongoing Super dub and manga - which will still represent Super in its absence.

I'm rambling, but you get the point - Super is not the BE-ALL/END-ALL of Dragon Ball. When it ends, there's still other old aspects of the series that some fans can make new to them.

QUICK NOTE: There's also fan works to keep you occupied until a possible future series so check those out. If you like Toyotaro's Super manga, then check out his Dragon Ball AF manga where he went under the name Toyble - and you might be interested to see his original view for a continuation of Dragon Ball that continues from GT and incorporates more of the non-canon elements into DB.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: How to ease the pain of the upcoming hiatus

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 pm

It's also OK to just... like... not consume anything Dragon Ball for a while! In fact, I'd argue it's actually healthy that you do (or rather don't do) so.

I'd personally prefer people expand their horizons with literally anything else at all, but if you're going to get stuck in the Toriyama World, I guess go back and live it up with Dr. Slump if you've never experienced it before. It's pretty essential to your understanding of Toriyama as an author, and even Dragon Ball as a series.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

I've been re-watching everything from the start and so far I've finished the Namek arc. Once I finish Kai and the 2 new movies I'll be able to re-watch Super's 3 main arcs so hopefully being able to watch them as a whole will give me a better experience compared to watching them 1 episode a week. After that I'll move onto GT and see if I can stay awake this time. :lol:
VegettoEX wrote:It's also OK to just... like... not consume anything Dragon Ball for a while!
What's next, are you going to tell us not to eat or breath. :evil:

Joking aside, I'd highly recommend fans here to get into Naruto as it's been finished for a year and all the filler can be skipped so you're looking at 400 or so episodes of pure manga content.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's also OK to just... like... not consume anything Dragon Ball for a while! In fact, I'd argue it's actually healthy that you do (or rather don't do) so.

I'd personally prefer people expand their horizons with literally anything else at all, but if you're going to get stuck in the Toriyama World, I guess go back and live it up with Dr. Slump if you've never experienced it before. It's pretty essential to your understanding of Toriyama as an author, and even Dragon Ball as a series.
Heresy! Burn the heretic!

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's also OK to just... like... not consume anything Dragon Ball for a while! In fact, I'd argue it's actually healthy that you do (or rather don't do) so.

Oh yeah, didn't even really think about Dr. Slump. I always keep telling myself to check it out because I remember enjoying the manga as a kid (due to it being similar to a gag book like Captain Underpants, embarrassing I know). Also, I think the third season of the anime My Hero Academia starts the first week of April, a week after Super's last episode. So, if you're into superheroes and anime - Catch yourself up with the first 2 seasons so by the time Super ends and Season 3 of My Hero arrives the week after, you can immediately jump into a new fandom with new hype. Trust me, despite falling into some conventional shonen tropes - I feel like My Hero subverts a lot of them as well so I suggest people give it a chance.

There's also DBZ filler that I myself am guilty of not fully checking out, including the Otherworld Tournament - which is almost similar to the U6 Tournament for anyone who may have not seen the entire thing yet, like me. Long story short, there's still things both Dragon Ball and not Dragon Ball to enjoy.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I once took a decade break from Dragonball from 2005-2015, only watching the occasional new special or movie but never any series. It's easy to take a break. We all watch other shows than Dragonball after all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Precure is probably going to be good this year, action-wise now that animators have been freed up. Most Precure series that aired while Super was running (Maho and A la Mode) were low on action compared to Go!Pri from 2015. I'll probably return to getting my Toei battle action animation from Hugtto if Precure is getting its punches back for their 15th anniversary season.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm personally not feeling any pain. In fact, I'm extremely relieved that I will no longer have to keep up with a weekly Dragon Ball series. Maybe the lack of Super will allow me to finally finish the series viewing I started back in 2014! I've been stuck in the Boo Arc since 2015, which, surprise, surprise, is the year Super started!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm

easy for you to say.

I dunno what to do. The last 18 months have been really the worst of my life and other than Chelsea matches and Gaming, Super was the thing i looked for to the most. My life went from weekend to weekend.

I, really dont know what to do.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Well I guess without a weekly DB show I can concentrate on nailing the professional accounting exams, not just watching but discussing etc consumes a lot of time, one less distraction.

Fairy Tail's final season will start sometime this year so that'll fill the long running show quota, plus I have in general a huge backlog of anime to catch up on.

Will probably have more time for Ajay's community rewatch of the latter half of DB also strangely known as Dragon Ball Z (?)

When the merchandise slows down (not for a while though) then I can finally get around to missing DB media I don't have, there is still a lot from DBS they can market but I do eventually expect some slow down interest obviously isn't gonna be as high without no ongoing show.

I can finally sleep in on Sunday morning too! (I get up
around 9am to watch DBS simulcast, I did it once cuz I was too tired to wait for the simulcast to go live at 1am and just became a routine).

Huh. Perhaps DBS ending is not all bad, on top of that the FUNi dub too look forward too so it's not weekly DB is totally gonna be over.

Of course movie speculation etc but tbh I made decision not to get involved much considering how that ResF thread was.

Thanks for making this thread mecha made me feel a lot better about it!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

I'll be finally watching Super, just when everyone's stopped talking about it. As well as rereading my manga volumes and acquiring more DVDs.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:I dunno what to do. The last 18 months have been really the worst of my life and other than Chelsea matches and Gaming, Super was the thing i looked for to the most. My life went from weekend to weekend.

Here's the thing about Super that's been bugging the hell out of me for the longest time, but will now finally cease to be grating: excessive over-analysis of an incomplete work. I understand that speculation and theory-crafting can be a really fun exercise, I've done plenty. There's a point, however, where it becomes too voluminous. There's a point where everyone's wasting their time trying to painstakingly piece together a puzzle, when they don't even have all of the pieces, when the pieces they receive are rhythmically drip-fed. People have been stressing themselves out trying to immediately answer questions that will more than likely be answered for them in a week, or a few months.

With Super being complete, we'll finally have all of the pieces of the "puzzle", so the theory crafting and such make a lot more sense to do now; we'll be able see what actually warrants us connecting the dots. What's going to be answered will have been answered. What's going to receive a narrative payoff will have paid off. We'll know what ultimately amounted to what, and which potential was wasted. We'll finally get complete guidebooks, futilely trying to definitively answer a lot of these burning in universe questions. We might learn more about the behind-the-scenes production of it all.

But that's all just for Super. As far as Dragon Ball itself is concerned, there's a lot more to do. Have you read the manga from beginning to end? Have you watched the anime in Japanese from beginning to end? If not, taking a break from Super could be a good chance to finally do so, like mecha3000 suggested. You could even set up a schedule for yourself to read/watch X chapters/episodes every week. Hell, you could jump into the DBZ Rewatch a lot of people are participating in right now, like Baggie_Saiyan suggested.

And that's all just for Dragon Ball. Outside of that, like Mike said, I'd recommend reading more stuff by Toriyama. The more of anyone's work you consume, the better you understand them as a person; art reflects the artist. And the better you understand the artist, the more complete image you'll have of their art. Reading more of what Toriyama made will give you a better understanding of him as a creator in general, which will give you a better understanding of his creations, including Dragon Ball. It's all like a mutually-reinforcing hermeneutic loop.

And, obviously, that's just for Toriyama. As pretty much everyone is suggesting, you could look into non-Super, non-Dragon Ball, non-Toriyama stuff. I have recommendations I can make in that department, depending on your interests and tastes.

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm

I’ve decided to ease the pain by rewatching the entire series once again. And I’m probably going to give the dub more of a chance now. It does bum me out though, I’ve been enjoying watching this series with my son. Like I said though we will always rewatch and be life long fans of Dragon Ball.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I can't help but also jump on the non-Dragon Ball, non-Toriyama train a bit. I'm not saying that I don't recommend reading more Toriyama (because I do in this case and intend to myself in the future!), but you might be surprised at the amount of wonderful stories that exist in the world. I think it does everybody some good to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to fiction. Look into more television shows. Use Google. Find more wuxia/martial arts stories!

I understand the notion of a show sort of becoming a staple in your life in some way. I think having a constant like that in one's life is one of the things that draws me into watching something like baseball whenever the season starts. That being said, not having more Dragon Ball wouldn't be the end of the world. Everything ends eventually, and that's for the best. I mean, it'll probably be back in some form anyway, won't it? It might be more than a hiatus or nothing more than a break before some big rebranding, so a lot of people might be jumping the gun here.

Anyway, just get out there! Look for more things! I know I'll never get around to experiencing everything I want to do and see in my lifetime, so there's plenty of material out there in the world to enjoy if you want to find it.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm

I'll be taking the opportunity to catch up the show since I'm a little behind on it.

After that, I'm gonna work on anime and manga in my backlog that I've yet to get to.

But I'll be here when and if Dragon Ball returns.

My best advice is... find something to replace it for the time being. Even if it's the manga version of the original series, or just a re-watch.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:44 am

Zephyr wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:I dunno what to do. The last 18 months have been really the worst of my life and other than Chelsea matches and Gaming, Super was the thing i looked for to the most. My life went from weekend to weekend.

Here's the thing about Super that's been bugging the hell out of me for the longest time, but will now finally cease to be grating: excessive over-analysis of an incomplete work. I understand that speculation and theory-crafting can be a really fun exercise, I've done plenty. There's a point, however, where it becomes too voluminous. There's a point where everyone's wasting their time trying to painstakingly piece together a puzzle, when they don't even have all of the pieces, when the pieces they receive are rhythmically drip-fed. People have been stressing themselves out trying to immediately answer questions that will more than likely be answered for them in a week, or a few months.

With Super being complete, we'll finally have all of the pieces of the "puzzle", so the theory crafting and such make a lot more sense to do now; we'll be able see what actually warrants us connecting the dots. What's going to be answered will have been answered. What's going to receive a narrative payoff will have paid off. We'll know what ultimately amounted to what, and which potential was wasted. We'll finally get complete guidebooks, futilely trying to definitively answer a lot of these burning in universe questions. We might learn more about the behind-the-scenes production of it all.

But that's all just for Super. As far as Dragon Ball itself is concerned, there's a lot more to do. Have you read the manga from beginning to end? Have you watched the anime in Japanese from beginning to end? If not, taking a break from Super could be a good chance to finally do so, like mecha3000 suggested. You could even set up a schedule for yourself to read/watch X chapters/episodes every week. Hell, you could jump into the DBZ Rewatch a lot of people are participating in right now, like Baggie_Saiyan suggested.

And that's all just for Dragon Ball. Outside of that, like Mike said, I'd recommend reading more stuff by Toriyama. The more of anyone's work you consume, the better you understand them as a person; art reflects the artist. And the better you understand the artist, the more complete image you'll have of their art. Reading more of what Toriyama made will give you a better understanding of him as a creator in general, which will give you a better understanding of his creations, including Dragon Ball. It's all like a mutually-reinforcing hermeneutic loop.

And, obviously, that's just for Toriyama. As pretty much everyone is suggesting, you could look into non-Super, non-Dragon Ball, non-Toriyama stuff. I have recommendations I can make in that department, depending on your interests and tastes.
What do you suggest in particular?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 am

I've been watching Sailor Moon and rereading my Dr, Slump volumes. Good stuff. Will probably watch DB again some time down the line, but not for a long time, lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 am

We've got Fighterz coming out in a few days. We've got Super's manga and Dub being released on a monthly/weekly basis. We've got the new movie and XV3 to look forward to. Most of us have probably just watched super once when the episodes aired so we can now go back and watch them as whole arcs to see how opinions change about them.

By the time we've gotten through all that Super or a new anime will be on the air with new content to enjoy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:15 am

The absolute #1 thing is -- If you haven't seen the original Dragon Ball series, see it!! Dragon Ball and Z are really one continuous story, so if you haven't seen the original series, you're missing out on half of that story.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 am

I'm going to focus on doing a lot of different things and such, like for example, adding more time to my training seasons. I'll simply turn things back to the state they were after i finished watching every single db related series (before BoG was even announced). Then once, db comes back (or hell even super with a new season) it will catch me off guard and it'll be just like when i learned about BoG's existence back then in 2013.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: