How to ease the pain of the upcoming hiatus

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Re: How to ease the pain of the upcoming hiatus

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:21 am

sintzu wrote:We've got Fighterz coming out in a few days. We've got Super's manga and Dub being released on a monthly/weekly basis. We've got the new movie and XV3 to look forward to. Most of us have probably just watched super once when the episodes aired so we can now go back and watch them as whole arcs to see how opinions change about them.

By the time we've gotten through all that Super or a new anime will be on the air with new content to enjoy.

Speak for yourself. I have on average seen every episode at least 4 times.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 am

Enjoy other things you love and don't dwell on it. Eventually the pain will fade away entirely. And besides, it's not like there's not other Dragon Ball content to enjoy. Movies, manga, games, a brand new movie, and any other fun stuff they put out between now and then. I've been waiting 6 years for the last Evangelion movie so this'll be nothing compared to that. And if Toriyama is building toward end of Z right now, well then we already know how the story ends!

At the end of the day, Dragon Ball is supposed to be fun entertainment. Don't let it weigh on you too much. :)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Zephyr wrote:And, obviously, that's just for Toriyama. As pretty much everyone is suggesting, you could look into non-Super, non-Dragon Ball, non-Toriyama stuff. I have recommendations I can make in that department, depending on your interests and tastes.
What do you suggest in particular?
Can't speak for Zeph, but I'd personally recommend people setting aside digging through random, various Shonen manga and anime in favor of instead taking a LOT more time toward delving into more non-Dragon Ball entries into the Wuxia (martial arts fantasy) genre. There's Japanese manga/anime examples of course like Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the North Star (both of which are themselves Shonen) to help ease you into things via a more familiar medium, but moreover there's nearly 100 years worth of live action movies and TV shows and comics, to say nothing of FAR more centuries-worth than that in the realm of literature for this genre.

Look up anything written by Dr. Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong) on the literary end of things to start with (the Condor Heroes trilogy in particular, as well as The Smiling Proud Wanderer series), or read Journey to the West (which is an incredible experience in itself). For comics, check out the Wuxia manhua (Chinese manga essentially) from the likes of Wong Yuk-Long (aka Tiger Wong) and Ma Wing Shing, just to start off with (Oriental Heroes, Fung Wan, Chinese Hero, etc).

For films, check out vintage 1960s, 70s and 80s Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest films in the genre (King Hu and Chang Cheh in particular are notable standout filmmakers within that era), as well as post-modern "New Wave" Wuxia films by the likes of Tsui Hark, Jeff Lau, Wong Jing, Ching Siu Tung, etc. Examples range all over the map from Zu Warriors, A Chinese Ghost Story, Buddha's Palm, Holy Flame of the Martial World, Duel to the Death, A Touch of Zen, The Bride With White Hair, Storm Riders, A Man Called Hero, Dragon Gate Inn, The Swordsman trilogy, Maidens of Heavenly Mountain, Holy Weapon, Green Snake, Iceman Cometh, The Heroic Trio, Kung Fu Cult Master, Legend of the Liquid Swords, Descendant of the Sun, Holy Flame of the Martial World, the Child of Peach trilogy, A Chinese Tall Story, Eagle Shooting Heroes, Bastard Swordsman, Shaolin Prince, Come Drink With Me, Saviour of the Soul, The Young Taoism Fighter, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Secret Service of the Imperial Court, etc. etc. and on and on and on into almost infinity.

To say nothing of countless non-Wuxia, non-fantasy "grounded" Kung Fu films that are just as equally integral to Dragon Ball's creative DNA, like Drunken Master, King Boxer/Five Fingers of Death, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Bruce Lee's entire filmography (Tang Lung from Way of the Dragon is basically Bruce Lee playing what is effectively Goku's EXACT character archetype almost to the letter within a grounded non-Wuxia martial arts story), 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Five Deadly Venoms, Heroes of the East, My Young Auntie, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, and again on and on and on and on into a bottomless rabbit hole.

I've made the argument on here time and time again that the broader North American fanbase has been largely completely wasting its time over the past 15 years looking primarily to other random Shonen manga and anime for Dragon Ball's "heart and soul" (despite a vast majority of them sharing nearly nothing in the way of any real commonality or connective tissue, beyond many later Shonen works trying desperately to ape some of DB's vague emotional beats) when in reality it should've been primarily looking towards Chinese martial arts high fantasy myths and fables (aka Wuxia) for where the true root of Dragon Ball's spirit lies, and where the vast majority of its narrative tropes, trappings, cultural roots, character archetypes, and its entire style of Chi blasting, mountain demolishing, high flying, million miles an hour hyper kinetic style of supernatural kung fu fighting are ALL actually originally taken from.

Thinking that Dragon Ball's "Shonen" status is what gives it its identity rather than its root cultural and genre themes within martial arts fantasy fiction has long been such a colossal mistake on the part of North American fans post-2000 seeming to misread and misinterpret a demographic target audience for an actual genre. And I think more people in general would walk away with a MUCH better and clearer understanding of the creative place that Dragon Ball has always been coming from fairly consistently for all these decades by exploring its actual native genre of high fantasy martial arts mythology rather than sifting through manga and anime who's only real solidly and consistently connecting thread to Dragon Ball is being written for Japanese grade school boys.

By exploring the Wuxia genre in greater depth, you'd be AMAZED at how very, very, VERY much in the way of film and literary media there has long existed out there for COUNTLESS decades if not CENTURIES that is all largely directly and obviously of the same manic tone, spirit, energy, and ideas & concepts of wacky supernatural martial arts fairy tale mythology (many of them even mixed with sci fi, horror, and other such contemporary genres) that Dragon Ball is known for defining for millennial kids. You want "more Dragon Ball"? There's over a century's worth of films and TV shows that have been constantly made that are basically live action counterparts of Dragon Ball, as well as other comics in general, and whole libraries worth of novels, etc.

Start digging. Bon appetit.

Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Zephyr wrote:And, obviously, that's just for Toriyama. As pretty much everyone is suggesting, you could look into non-Super, non-Dragon Ball, non-Toriyama stuff. I have recommendations I can make in that department, depending on your interests and tastes.
What do you suggest in particular?
Can't speak for Zeph, but I'd personally recommend people setting aside digging through random, various Shonen manga and anime in favor of instead taking a LOT more time toward delving into more non-Dragon Ball entries into the Wuxia (martial arts fantasy) genre. There's Japanese manga/anime examples of course like Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the North Star (both of which are themselves Shonen) to help ease you into things via a more familiar medium, but moreover there's nearly 100 years worth of live action movies and TV shows and comics, to say nothing of FAR more centuries-worth than that in the realm of literature for this genre.

Look up anything written by Dr. Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong) on the literary end of things to start with (the Condor Heroes trilogy in particular, as well as The Smiling Proud Wanderer series), or read Journey to the West (which is an incredible experience in itself). For comics, check out the Wuxia manhua (Chinese manga essentially) from the likes of Wong Yuk-Long (aka Tiger Wong) and Ma Wing Shing, just to start off with (Oriental Heroes, Fung Wan, Chinese Hero, etc).

For films, check out vintage 1960s, 70s and 80s Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest films in the genre (King Hu and Chang Cheh in particular are notable standout filmmakers within that era), as well as post-modern "New Wave" Wuxia films by the likes of Tsui Hark, Jeff Lau, Wong Jing, Ching Siu Tung, etc. Examples range all over the map from Zu Warriors, A Chinese Ghost Story, Buddha's Palm, Holy Flame of the Martial World, Duel to the Death, A Touch of Zen, The Bride With White Hair, Storm Riders, A Man Called Hero, Dragon Gate Inn, The Swordsman trilogy, Maidens of Heavenly Mountain, Holy Weapon, Green Snake, Iceman Cometh, The Heroic Trio, Kung Fu Cult Master, Legend of the Liquid Swords, Descendant of the Sun, Holy Flame of the Martial World, the Child of Peach trilogy, A Chinese Tall Story, Eagle Shooting Heroes, Bastard Swordsman, Shaolin Prince, Come Drink With Me, Saviour of the Soul, The Young Taoism Fighter, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Secret Service of the Imperial Court, etc. etc. and on and on and on into almost infinity.

To say nothing of countless non-Wuxia, non-fantasy "grounded" Kung Fu films that are just as equally integral to Dragon Ball's creative DNA, like Drunken Master, King Boxer/Five Fingers of Death, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Bruce Lee's entire filmography (Tang Lung from Way of the Dragon is basically Bruce Lee playing what is effectively Goku's EXACT character archetype almost to the letter within a grounded non-Wuxia martial arts story), 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Five Deadly Venoms, Heroes of the East, My Young Auntie, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, and again on and on and on and on into a bottomless rabbit hole.

I've made the argument on here time and time again that the broader North American fanbase has been largely completely wasting its time over the past 15 years looking primarily to other random Shonen manga and anime for Dragon Ball's "heart and soul" (despite a vast majority of them sharing nearly nothing in the way of any real commonality or connective tissue, beyond many later Shonen works trying desperately to ape some of DB's vague emotional beats) when in reality it should've been primarily looking towards Chinese martial arts high fantasy myths and fables (aka Wuxia) for where the true root of Dragon Ball's spirit lies, and where the vast majority of its narrative tropes, trappings, cultural roots, character archetypes, and its entire style of Chi blasting, mountain demolishing, high flying, million miles an hour hyper kinetic style of supernatural kung fu fighting are ALL actually originally taken from.

Thinking that Dragon Ball's "Shonen" status is what gives it its identity rather than its root cultural and genre themes within martial arts fantasy fiction has long been such a colossal mistake on the part of North American fans post-2000 seeming to misread and misinterpret a demographic target audience for an actual genre. And I think more people in general would walk away with a MUCH better and clearer understanding of the creative place that Dragon Ball has always been coming from fairly consistently for all these decades by exploring its actual native genre of high fantasy martial arts mythology rather than sifting through manga and anime who's only real solidly and consistently connecting thread to Dragon Ball is being written for Japanese grade school boys.

How about this My Hero Academia?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:47 am

I will catch up to Ajay's DBZ re-watch, but before it I will finish my Dragon Ball rewatch as I just need to watch the 23rd Budokai, which is also one of my favorite arcs.
In the meanwhile I will have FighterZ to play and Toyotaro's new manga chapters to read every month. I will also continue to speculate about the possible new DB show and the movie, and will continue to take part in the discussions on Kanzenshuu from time to time.
I don't think this site will be dead at all as it wasn't dead before 2013 and before Super started. I will surely miss the weekly discussions about Super but I'm actually happy it will be over, because it could mean they will be working on a new Dragon Ball show which could fix all the issues I have with Super, and finally go past EoZ.
If that doesn't happen, we will get new movies considering there are the dragonball2019.com and dragonball2020.com sites registered by Toei. But I would rather have a show than the movies, as I feel a well-done DB show works better than the movies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:43 am

Professor Freeza wrote:How about this My Hero Academia?
My Hero Academia has absolutely nothing in the slightest bit to do with Wuxia, supernatural fairy tale fantasy martial arts myths, etc. Academia is a pure superhero series, which Dragon Ball is not and never has been. My Hero Academia has everything to do more with Western superheroes (costumed crimefighters who are gifted with sudden superpowers and use them to take on the responsibility of protecting and safeguarding the planet or their city from evildoers, often under the guise of a secret identity/alter ego). Martial arts, martial arts fantasy mythology (overwhelmingly of a Buddhist/Taoist sort), ancient Chinese kung fu fairy tales etc. do not at all even remotely factor in, nor do the themes inherent to them (self-improvement for the sake of self-improvement, sportsman's competition, personal journey of growth through martial arts training, justice in the form of archaic warrior's honor and fighting principals, etc).

Citing My Hero Academia as a work that is even vaguely tied to Dragon Ball is exactly the kind of mistake and misreading of genres that I was just saying most millennial North American fans have long been guilty of doing. The only thing that at all ties Academia to DB is that they're both Japanese comics and cartoons who's target audience is Japanese children ages 5 to 13 or so. Almost everything else inherent to both works beyond that are in no way related at all. Its no different than calling Justice League Unlimited and Samurai Jack the same genre or "spiritually connected" simply because they both aired on Cartoon Network together.

Like I said before: the DB fan community as a whole would do well to largely put Shonen aside, since its simply little more than a broad target demographic and not a specific genre at all, and instead focus on other examples Dragon Ball's actual genre: that of martial arts high fantasy, largely culled from ancient Chinese Taoist mythology. My Hero Academia, One Piece, Yu Gi Oh, Toriko, Fullmetal Alchemist, the vast majority of Hunter X Hunter, and their assorted ilk are largely dead ends insofar as substantial relation to Dragon Ball goes, since the only thing really linking them is the target audience.

Dragon Ball's genre encompasses things more like the above examples I gave in my previous post (Journey to the West, Louis Cha novels, Ma Wing Shing comics, Tsui Hark films, much of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, and Jackie Chan's classic output, Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest Studios, etc.), with Shonen titles like YYH and HnK acting as examples of Japanese children's manga/anime that actually also belongs within that same genre spectrum, as opposed to My Hero Academia (school for superheroes), One Piece (swashbuckling pirate adventures), Yu Gi Oh (children's card games with an occult Egyptian theme), Toriko (competing chefs and cooks), Hunter X Hunter (treasure and monster hunting adventurers with a VERY SMALL subset of its universe that actually IS Wuxia-related) etc.

Those latter Shonen works may rip off emotional tics from DB (characters engaged in frenemy-esque rivalries and suchlike), but that isn't at all the same thing as a genre with a set of cohesive narrative themes as well as much more specific tropes and archetypes that are vastly more commonplace and defining to the works in question.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 am

mecha3000 wrote:Now to my point: If Super ending really makes you sad, then just expand your horizons with Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball Super ending doesn't make me sad at all, I've expanded my horizon with Dragon Ball. It was an okay series considering it had two tournaments and just one saga with an actual plot (but with its finale being terrible as hell). As I'm always saying, since we reached a point where some games of Dragon Ball are far more interesting than the main series itself, that is the very reason why I'm not upset, as I know new and awesome content will continue to knock the door/expand the lore; Android 21, Xenoverse 2's DLC 6/Fu and Dragon Ball Heroes.

How can I be sad about some work ending with all this huge mine of great information and content to keep me involved with the Dragon Ball franchise? :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:*snip
While I might not be as familiar with Wuxia as you are, I think you are overestimating it's role when it comes to DB. Yes, it owes a lot of it's themes to this genre and it was based on the famous "Journey to the West", but Toriyama has been influenced by western media just as much. From a stylistic point of view, MHA is actually very much like DB, and while they do not share the same type of direction and differ in themes, the core shonen battle manga value, which is to be better/the best and strive for more power, is still there.
Also, the authors of most of those manga you mentioned, One Piece, Naruto, FMA, etc., they all have cited DB as a major influence, so it's absolutely fine to turn to them to during times of DB drought. I don't think comparing them to DB is a mistake. They're different enough to not feel like DB, but have enough of DB like charm to be enjoyed. I recommend FMA Brotherhood wholeheartedly btw.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 am

Michsi wrote:
While I might not be as familiar with Wuxia as you are, I think you are overestimating it's role when it comes to DB. Yes, it owes a lot of it's themes to this genre and it was based on the famous "Journey to the West", but Toriyama has been influenced by western media just as much. From a stylistic point of view, MHA is actually very much like DB, and while they do not share the same type of direction and differ in themes, the core shonen battle manga value, which is to be better/the best and strive for more power, is still there.
Also, the authors of most of those manga you mentioned, One Piece, Naruto, FMA, etc., they all have cited DB as a major influence, so it's absolutely fine to turn to them to during times of DB drought. I don't think comparing them to DB is a mistake. They're different enough to not feel like DB, but have enough of DB like charm to be enjoyed. I recommend FMA Brotherhood wholeheartedly btw.
Of course Toriyama borrowed a lot from Western media. I never denied that, and that's certainly inarguable. But the elements taken from Western media (The Terminator, Cinderella, etc.) are for the most part largely more smaller, surface level details. The Boo arc having a Cinderella-themed naming scheme, various character designs borrowed from a bunch of Hollywood movies, and a couple of plot beats for the Cell arc taken from the first Terminator movie, etc. are all of a MUCH smaller scale compared to the role that martial arts fantasy fiction plays in the very foundation of the series: Wuxia's influence eats up the root-most core and guts of the ENTIRE story, driving everything from the nature of the Dragon World itself, the characters' motivations and ideals for fighting, the manner in which the fights play out, the elaborate and insane training methods, the fundamental nature and dynamics of the master/student relationships and fighters' rivalries, etc.

Dragon Ball takes from a smorgasbord of disparate and eclectic influences largely because Toriyama is a very eclectic kinda guy with a whole lot of different media interests. But when looked at in its totality, its VERY hard to argue that martial arts media as a whole, Wuxia in particular, isn't the overarchingly biggest elephant in the room out of all the other (no doubt still prominent) influences present. Virtually every single story arc is some variation on a Wuxia plotline, more than 90% of the principal characters are classic or contemporary Wuxia archetypes, all of the fighting itself, the fighting techniques, the training, the supernatural concepts and mythology in and of themselves, and the reasons motivating the fighting are virtually across the board taken from Wuxia media of some sort.

Yes, OF COURSE there's heaptons of other stuff in there as well, and ALL of it taken together is important to making DB what it is: but almost all of the other elements tend to very often be secondary to the root core martial arts fantasy heart that's beating underneath it all. The Freeza arc for example has heavy Space Opera elements to it: that doesn't therefore make DB a Space Opera series.

The core meat of the Freeza arc's story is still a Wuxia story: martial artists recovering mystical artifacts from the clutches of an oppressive imperial tyrant modeled after the Dongfang Bubai-esque villain mold (androgynous, albino-colored, effete, aristocratic, faux-polite, cruel and sadistic, abuses their army of warrior underlings as sacrificial pawns despite possessing MASSIVE power themselves, uses piercing/impaling Chi techniques and finger-poking hand to hand strikes, etc.) with one or several of the main heroes also harboring a personal honor-motivated reason for vengeance upon said-villain. The Space Opera trappings are WINDOW DRESSING that jazzes the whole thing up and lends it a unique flavor: but its ultimately just window dressing that's spicing up an otherwise fairly bog-standard type of Wuxia story that's been done numerous times. Take the Wuxia formula, but throw it "In spaaaaaaaaace!" and add aliens.

Its a gumbo stew of disparate elements taken from all over the place, but most of those elements revolve and orbit around a central core that is almost overwhelmingly dominated by a martial arts fantasy identity.

And as far as "Shonen Battle Manga" goes, I've long argued that that is a completely and utterly made up, non-existent genre. Most examples of "Shonen Battle Manga" tend to either be just straight up Wuxia manga themselves (Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, etc.) or manga that are copying vague beats and themes from Dragon Ball without any of the underlying context or understanding for WHY they were in DB and why they worked there (virtually everything from Naruto to One Piece to FMA, etc). Off the top of my head, Saint Seiya and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are two of the RARE examples of Shonen series that fit the "Battle Shonen" conventions without being either Wuxia/martial arts series or DB derivatives. And two random examples do not a "genre" make.

"Being the best/striving for more power" is NOT a "Shonen Battle Manga" theme: that is, and always has been a general martial arts fiction theme, including Wuxia, going back THOUSANDS of years ago into incredibly ancient myths and stories. Dragon Ball took from those stories and themes and ran with them to tremendous success; and other Japanese Shonen manga soon followed trying to ape it. That DOESN'T make it a "genre staple" for a genre that doesn't actually exist. That makes it a genre staple for a genre who's existence predates ALL of these examples by countless centuries, and that other works had ripped off - context-free - from one specific contemporary example that was wildly successful.

All of those Shonen manga HAVE clear-cut genres that they follow: Naruto is a ninja fantasy series (which is indeed its own distinct genre from Wuxia with its own distinct history, with only some VERY tangential cultural crossover connections), One Piece is a high seas pirate adventure series, etc. These series ALL follow their genre conventions more or less to the letter, and the elements they borrow from DB (training, growing stronger, cultivating friendly and bitter rivalries with other training students from other schools or orthodoxies, etc.) are almost ALL across the board general martial arts and Wuxia themes that DB used because its a Wuxia series and that these other Shonen series are lifting from purely because DB used it, regardless of how ill-fitting they happen to be within the context of the genres that they happen to be working within.

"Battle Shonen" took off as a meme primarily due to the HUGE proliferation of Shonen series following DB that tried desperately to "follow in its footsteps" by taking piecemeal, disjointed elements from it and stapling them awkwardly and haphazardly into totally unrelated types of stories... combined with a latter-day fanbase that is so thoroughly unfamilliar with martial arts fiction of any sort outside of DB and a small handful of other examples that it doesn't recognize where these things ACTUALLY came from originally, and thus chalk it up to "this must just be a Shonen thing". It isn't: its usually either a Wuxia/martial arts fiction thing, or a DB ripoff thing.

If Battle Shonen boils down to anything resembling an actual, tangible genre, then all it ultimately amounts to is simply... general action/adventure stories made for Japanese little boys. That's an INCREDIBLY broad template that does NOT at all adhere to a set of "core themes" and "tropes" unto itself. Again, that's like saying that Transformers, Batman, Dexter's Laboratory, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are all in the same genre together just because they're cartoons for small little kids.

Most of what fandom for the last 15 or so years has been describing as "Battle Shonen" is a hodgepodge of disparate motifs drawn from a VERY general array of Japanese little kid action franchises, many if not most of them ripped off flagrantly from Dragon Ball. Which in turn, took many if not most of them from general martial arts fiction and Wuxia fantasy. That isn't a "genre": that's a vast collection of fanboys projecting and filling in the gaps of their ignorance with confirmation bias culled from an EXCEEDINGLY limited pool of Japanese comics and cartoons and without a whole lot of experience with the kinds of root martial arts fiction source material that directly spawned something like Dragon Ball.

So no, MHA is almost NOTHING like DB in terms of genre. Any similarities they share generally boils down to the fact that they're both Japanese action serials aimed at grade school boys, and DB in particular happening to be such a MASSIVELY influential series upon nearly all other Japanese little boy action serials that followed in its wake, regardless of their actual respective genres. That isn't a shared genre: that's a shared culture and industry. Not even remotely the same thing, no more than stuff like G.I. Joe and Ben 10 somehow being seen as sharing the same space genre-wise.

But yeah... anyways. Stuff to check out without new DB coming out should DEFINITELY include exploring the rest of the Wuxia genre. There's a LOT of it, to a virtually bottomless degree, and its more than enough to keep one busy and engaged with stuff that's VERY much in the same exact vein as DB for about several lifetimes or so.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 am

I was about to make a reply to Michsi's post, but I've been intercepted at the last minute. Well, I think I have some pretty okay points to make, so I'll leave them down here all the same. (I don't intend to gang up on you, Michsi, but if you feel that I am, I apologise.)

---
Michsi wrote:
While I might not be as familiar with Wuxia as you are, I think you are overestimating it's role when it comes to DB.
He's really not. So many of the storytelling choices, concepts, character archetypes and everything else that make up the foundation of Dragon Ball come directly from Wuxia, to the point where Kunzait made a forum thread all about the various aspects of Wuxia, the modern history of the genre, and how they clearly appear in Dragon Ball.

In addition, I would also recommend reading Derek Padula's Dragon Ball Culture books, which analyse the cultural context behind just about every aspect of Dragon Ball, which often reference Wuxia works and the religious/spiritual/cultural contexts and legends that helped to inspire both them and Dragon Ball. It really cannot be stated enough that Dragon Ball IS Wuxia.
Also, the authors of most of those manga you mentioned, One Piece, Naruto, FMA, etc., they all have cited DB as a major influence, so it's absolutely fine to turn to them to during times of DB drought.
Being inspired by someone else's work does not make your own work similar to it. Hideaki Anno's favourite American animation includes Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery, but that doesn't mean Evangelion is pure slapstick comedy. Masaaki Yuasa, famed for his incredibly off-beat and unusual animation like Tatami Galaxy and Mind Game, names The Fox and the Hound and Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers among his many inspirations, and those two pairings of works couldn't be more different from each other if they tried.

One Piece, FMA, My Hero Academia and other works in the 'Shonen genre' (and I'm using quotation marks since I don't believe such a genre actually exists) may share similarities to Dragon Ball, but often only in the broadest sense and based on storytelling tropes and tools that are very common in general. Other than that, there's not a lot that they share in common with Dragon Ball. That's like saying Friends and Peep Show are very similar because they're both sitcoms about 20-somethings trying to get by (which they're not; Friends is generally a feel-good comedy full of one-line producing machines, while Peep Show is a black comedy about terrible people doing terrible things to each other because they're either scared, stupid, or clueless).

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Not trying to impose on the wuxia vs. shonen talk because all discussion is welcome and warranted, but it strays a bit away from the point of the topic. If you're a DB fan, I don't want anyone feeling like they're required to turn to wuxia for their new source of entertainment following Super's ending. If fans want to get into My Hero Academia, I really do suggest it because at the end of the day, they both still fall under the genre of shonen. I was born in the later part of the '90s so growing up, I didn't have new DB so Naruto was what my generation turned to and there's no problem turning to My Hero in DB's absence. The whole wuxia debate shouldn't determine what is worthy of being your new series (not saying that is exactly what was being suggested). Like VegettoEX and many others have stated, it's also good to get into things that aren't remotely DB-related in genre or tone.

My Hero Academia's Season 3 seems like it's going to start the first week of April, a week after Super ends. It IS the perfect series for anyone to give a chance if they need their weekly shonen fix again and the manga goes even further. There's also Katekyo Hitman Reborn (I know, a plug) - which is a CRIMINALLY underrated shonen anime (some might say overrated) that is based on a Shonen Jump manga, and it never got an English localization and the popularity it might've gotten had it come out in today's age of the internet, social media, etc. Me being a dub fan, Reborn was the first series I enjoyed subbed because there was and still is no dub. Some might say Reborn is overrated and slow-paced, but get past the slice-of-life episodes and it turns into a badass shonen. This is really getting off-topic, but the interesting thing about Reborn is I believe it was written by a female mangaka in Shonen Jump and was actually somewhat of a hit. I'm sure there's other female mangaka who are or have written for Jump, but I don't think anyone's been able to make a successful shonen as much as Akira Amano (besides FMA's writer from a different company). In DB's original absence, Naruto and Reborn! were all I had growing up back in '08/09 era so of course I want to kind of promote them :)

Also, Reborn kind of starts out similar to DB's history with a lot of gag humor but as others have noted - It turns more serious as time goes on. Sound familiar?

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I finished ep. 153 of Dragon Ball last night! On to Z today. I’m gonna finish Z and GT, maybe the movies and maybe start watching the Funi dub of Super after that, assuming it’s far enough along at that point. I’m assuming it’ll take me 3 or 4 months to get to that point so we’ll see.

If the time comes and Funi’s only around the 50 or 60 episode count, I suppose I can buy some time by watching that Speed Racer blu Ray set that Funi recently put out
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Shonen is about demographic, it's not a genre.

I would suggest trying new stuff during the hiatus.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

ABED wrote:Shonen is about demographic, it's not a genre.
Well, you get the point. No fan who aren't Kanzenshuu users or Padula fans will not know what wuxia is. Most DB fans don't even know what wuxia is so to them - A series like Dragon Ball and Naruto are somewhat interchangeable in terms of how they consume it. That's my point. Once again, not trying to debate demographics or genres or whatever. Still, I appreciate the clarification.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Read Berserk, or watch the 97 anime then read the manga. It's currently my favorite work of fiction.

It's really nothing like Dragon Ball but it's amazing.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:11 pm

I'll rewatch X-Men TAS, Spider-Man TAS and Avengers EMH.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Streaming makes trying new stuff really easy. Apparently FMA:B is on Netflix. I MIGHT try that, but I wasn't a big fan of the original FMA. I am watching The Twilight Zone for the first time, and I finally got around to seeing The Godfather III. Even if I don't like some of these things, trying new stuff and expanding my horizons always gives me some pleasure.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: *snip*

Regarding western influence, I wasn't talking about the surface level stuff either, like pop culture references, name puns. etc, but style, layout and direction.
One could argue that the Wuxia elements are also there mostly for style rather than substance, since it never delves deeply into the ins and outs of the martial arts lifestyle. And if memory serves, one of the key elements of Wuxia heroes is fighting for righteous causes, righting wrongs, avenging loved ones, and following very strict codes of honor and chivalry, something DB very actively seems to want to avoid. Goku fights for the sake of fighting, and please correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this a pretty grave martial art faux pas?

Basically Dragon Ball's roots being in "Journey to the West" is no different than Disney's Hercules' roots being in the Legends of Olympus. Neither of these two stories really represent the essence of what the source material was about and basically just use it as a starting point.

I'm not trying to ignore the Wuxia side of DB, but to point out that those who enjoy it can find, and have found, the same type of enjoyment in manga that have been considered DB's predecessors. It's not the misconception of the western fan that OP, OPM, Naruto etc are similar to DB. The editors of Weekly Shonen Jump actively have tried to create more Dragon Ball like stories. Bleach's Kubo Tite had been given a copy of DB to use as reference when he was struggling to come up with a story to publish(he was literally told to "do something like this"), Kishimoto had been told to give Naruto a rival 'like Vegeta', Oda very visibly tried to mimic DB's quirky designs despite the fact that he had worked and studied under Nobuhiro Watsuki.

To you, the core of DB maybe Wuxia, I'd say the core of DB is purely humor, and then later action.

Battle shonen manga may be a made-up fan term, but I'd say it has valid reasons for existing, and it's no different from the term "Super Hero" genre. It encompasses manga that are similar in feel, themes, mentality - which, again, is actually the intention most of the time. It's not just taking some action oriented stories and lumping them together for the sake of simplicity, it's recognizing a specific set of characteristics. Basically, just as a certain type of story comes to mind when hearing "Wuxia", same thing applies to "Shonen manga".

Again, I'm all for broadening your horizon and by all means, encourage the fandom to give Chinese fiction a try, that is absolutely lovely, but please don't do it while putting down those who went to look for more manga instead of Wuxia. DB has been the stepping stone for many to the manga/anime industry and they have found various other stories to enjoy and love in similar capacity.
There were a slew of comments about how the Deku vs. Todoroki fight reminded them of what they loved about big DB battles, and they weren't wrong to feel that way.
Last edited by Michsi on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 pm

ABED wrote:Streaming makes trying new stuff really easy. Apparently FMA:B is on Netflix. I MIGHT try that, but I wasn't a big fan of the original FMA. I am watching The Twilight Zone for the first time, and I finally got around to seeing The Godfather III. Even if I don't like some of these things, trying new stuff and expanding my horizons always gives me some pleasure.
The only thing the 'original' FMA and Brotherhood have in common is the first third of the series.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:37 pm

ABED wrote:Streaming makes trying new stuff really easy. Apparently FMA:B is on Netflix. I MIGHT try that, but I wasn't a big fan of the original FMA. I am watching The Twilight Zone for the first time, and I finally got around to seeing The Godfather III. Even if I don't like some of these things, trying new stuff and expanding my horizons always gives me some pleasure.
Did you like it or hate it?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.