Could DBE have done well financially if it didn’t have such bad reception and abysmal marketing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Could DBE have done well financially if it didn’t have such bad reception and abysmal marketing?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm

I’m sure it’s likely no secret that Dragon Ball: Evolution was both a critical and financial dud. The movie made a measly $9 million domestically, and less than $60 million worldwide, with a production budget that’s said to range from as low as $30 million, to as high as $100 million. In any case, the movie was far from being a hit. We can probably attribute the movie’s poor financial performance to a combination of very poor marketing, terrible reviews, and the fact that the film was released in a period where Dragon Ball as a franchise had seemingly run its course.

The question is: if the movie hadn’t been as poorly received as it was (though not necessarily a critical darling), and had a better marketing campaign while keeping its April 2009 release date, how well does everyone imagine the movie could’ve performed financially? Was there potential for a live-action Dragon Ball movie in 2009 to be a decent money maker?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Could DBE have done well financially if it didn’t have such bad reception and abysmal marketing?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 pm

The bad word of mouth killed the movie before it was release. Everyone was hating on the movie before it came out and not eve non DB fans wanted to see it. I remember when people said that the movie look like a bad video game movie from the 90's similar to Double Dragon and Street Fighter (1994). They market the movie pretty well with ads on the Internet and on TV. There was even merchandise for the movie before the movie came out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Could DBE have done well financially if it didn’t have such bad reception and abysmal marketing?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The bad word of mouth killed the movie before it was release. Everyone was hating on the movie before it came out and not eve non DB fans wanted to see it. I remember when people said that the movie look like a bad video game movie from the 90's similar to Double Dragon and Street Fighter (1994). They market the movie pretty well with ads on the Internet and on TV. There was even merchandise for the movie before the movie came out.
I don’t actually recall there having been much in the way of advertisement for the movie. At least not in U.S. anyway. It seemed like Fox had no faith whatsoever in the film, so they wanted to bury it and move on.