Between GT and Super, Which do you feel handled Buu better

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Between GT and Super, Which do you feel handled Buu better

Post by shadd21 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Which series do you felt handled the character of Buu the best?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Between GT and Super, Which do you feel handled Buu better

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 am

Super has as We saw him fight in the mini tournament at the start of the current arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 am

sintzu wrote:Super has as We saw him fight in the mini tournament at the start of the current arc.
That was pretty fun! Makes me so sad he wasn't in the main ToP, Freeza could have still been there they could have easily repalced Tien with Buu considering Tien was useless not only in the ToP but the recruitment episodes too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:Super has as We saw him fight in the mini tournament at the start of the current arc.
That was pretty fun! Makes me so sad he wasn't in the main ToP, Freeza could have still been there they could have easily repalced Tien with Buu considering Tien was useless not only in the ToP but the recruitment episodes too.
We could've gotten some interesting interactions between him and Freeza as king cold told him to stay away from Buu.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

Both series show inability and/or disinterest at handling Buu. Super at least threw a bone at us with the fight against Basil.

sintzu wrote:
We could've gotten some interesting interactions between him and Freeza as king cold told him to stay away from Buu.
Yes, I believe Buu's participation would have lead to some fun dynamics. A wasted opportunity.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 am

Buu is a joke in Super.
Trashed by Beerus, sleeping during RoF arc, sleeping during U6 tournament, sleeping during current arc.
He only got one completely unnecesary fight before tournament in which he was replaced by stupid Frieza anyway.

At least in GT he was doing something else, protecting Satan from Baby, he saved Uub's life and overall helped defeating Baby. If it wasn't for Majuub, Goku would have lost to him. And while Majuub was wasted character, he still did more than Buu in Super.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am

Well, I'm glad we got the fight against Basil and Fit Buu vs Goku and stuff like that, but let's be real - Super hasn't handled Buu too well, at least in my opinion. People shit on GT's handling of the characters, but Buu was just a running gag in Super - which I guess fits Toriyama's style, but it's still kind of annoying (and I'm tired of Toriyama purists using that as an excuse against me). Think about it: Half of the U7 team consists of villains Goku and the gang faced in the past from Piccolo to Vegeta to 17 to 18 to Frieza. How awesome would it be if you also threw Buu in the mix for that fun contrast? Imagine Frieza's reaction. Imagine 17's reaction.

I feel like they messed up there, but hey - They can't please us all. Still, in GT - Despite not having a big enough role, it was interesting how he protected Mr. Satan and Pan from Baby's control because if he didn't do that, Goku would never have become a Super Saiyan 4. Also, Buu is the reason Majuub was able to go inside Baby and do that whole convoluted and complicated stomach thing. If it weren't for Buu, Uub would've died against Baby. Those are 2 HUGE accomplishments and Buu never even fought anyone!!!

So, before anyone says - "Buu did more in Super than he did in GT": At least consider the significance of the things he did in Super. Like I said, at least he wasn't a running gag in GT.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Boo in Super and Boo in GT are so different characters... I kinda like both of them and I wish Boo would've been in the TOP rather than let's say Ten Shin Han.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

GT easily. Buu had an emotional farewell with Mr. Satan and it was pretty touching.

Then there's a moment in which he stopped Uub from injuring The Champ during the World Tournament. It was pretty friendly to see Buu act that way.

Buu also did some cool unappreciated tricks there like showing he can absorb people and still keep them conscious inside his stomach.

Not much screentime, but what he got was enjoyable.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm

GT, i guess. I mean, super did use Boo much more for comedic effect and as a fighter, but his moment when he merged with Uub felt much more meaningful to the character.My only problem with it, is that until that point, Boo hadn't really done anything worth of mention (besides protecting Satan and Pan, but that's not something really new to me).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:39 am

GT, definitely.

In GT, there was a payoff about Boo and Oob's connection, and Boo got to do some minor stuff in the Baby arc, and after he was gone, Mr. Satan and Oob had a couple of pretty cool character moments in the tournament episode that centred around Boo.
In Super, he's been built up as being about to contribute in a major way to an arc twice, and both times, they've sent him to sleep at the last second. Outside of that, the only time he's done anything at all was in the Battle Of Gods arc, when he was only there to get Worf'd by Beerus.

At least GT didn't put up the facade that he'll be a major player only to wimp out; they used him sparingly, but his uses were generally quite good. Super's used him twice in basically the same fakeout, which is pretty lame if you ask me.
If Super had only had the one fakeout, I'd probably forgive it, but doing the exact same fakeout twice... I'd call that pretty lazy, to be honest.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:GT, definitely.

In GT, there was a payoff about Boo and Oob's connection, and Boo got to do some minor stuff in the Baby arc, and after he was gone, Mr. Satan and Oob had a couple of pretty cool character moments in the tournament episode that centred around Boo.
In Super, he's been built up as being about to contribute in a major way to an arc twice, and both times, they've sent him to sleep at the last second. Outside of that, the only time he's done anything at all was in the Battle Of Gods arc, when he was only there to get Worf'd by Beerus.

At least GT didn't put up the facade that he'll be a major player only to wimp out; they used him sparingly, but his uses were generally quite good. Super's used him twice in basically the same fakeout, which is pretty lame if you ask me.
If Super had only had the one fakeout, I'd probably forgive it, but doing the exact same fakeout twice... I'd call that pretty lazy, to be honest.
Don't forget his fight in the pre-top tournament. To me, that was a really, really entertaining fight. And that's why I wanted him in the tournament.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Probably Super. Buu fusing Uub would have work if the two have interact with each other longer. I felt like the fusion between the two felt kinda underwhelming in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Buu missing out on TWO tournaments in Super when he was hyped up to enter on all the advertisements/promotions and in story just to pull a bait and switch and have him not enter either was bullshit.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 am

mecha3000 wrote:Well, I'm glad we got the fight against Basil and Fit Buu vs Goku and stuff like that, but let's be real - Super hasn't handled Buu too well, at least in my opinion. People shit on GT's handling of the characters, but Buu was just a running gag in Super - which I guess fits Toriyama's style, but it's still kind of annoying (and I'm tired of Toriyama purists using that as an excuse against me). Think about it: Half of the U7 team consists of villains Goku and the gang faced in the past from Piccolo to Vegeta to 17 to 18 to Frieza. How awesome would it be if you also threw Buu in the mix for that fun contrast? Imagine Frieza's reaction. Imagine 17's reaction.

I feel like they messed up there, but hey - They can't please us all. Still, in GT - Despite not having a big enough role, it was interesting how he protected Mr. Satan and Pan from Baby's control because if he didn't do that, Goku would never have become a Super Saiyan 4. Also, Buu is the reason Majuub was able to go inside Baby and do that whole convoluted and complicated stomach thing. If it weren't for Buu, Uub would've died against Baby. Those are 2 HUGE accomplishments and Buu never even fought anyone!!!

So, before anyone says - "Buu did more in Super than he did in GT": At least consider the significance of the things he did in Super. Like I said, at least he wasn't a running gag in GT.
Its no excuse if its a fact Toriyama is a gag writer. For fuck sake, the sake the Buu saga was a parody of his own work. Buu is meant to be a gag character.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Both shows had their ups and downs with the character.

GT gave Majin Boo's characterization closure in the best way with his emotional farewell to Mr Satan and fusing with Oob. But Majin Boo fusing with Oob didn't really lead to anything significant for Oob as a character in terms of personality or strength.

Super had a major physical moment coming in a pretty awesome fight which displayed how unique and wonderfully unorthodox he is in combat, while also showcasing that his relationship with Mr Satan is very much deep rooted to his power and motivation. But the show also emphasized much greater on the degree of Majin Boo as a gag character.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 am

IIRC (and it's been a while), GT Buu did nothing but hide people from Baby. Then, he fused with Uub, and promptly got his ass kicked. So he was just another useless fighter, wasted like anyone who isn't Goku, in GT.

His fight with Basil in Super was great, and easily eclipses that.

Personally, I think if they're not going to use him any more, he should just be written out by going into long-term hibernation or something. Because let's face it, if he ever does meet Frieza, the only "payoff" we'll get is god-tier Frieza being totally unimpressed, and kicking his fat ass. Sad.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:25 pm

sangofe wrote:Don't forget his fight in the pre-top tournament. To me, that was a really, really entertaining fight. And that's why I wanted him in the tournament.
Yeah, and I'm glad that happened, but that fight just soured the fakeout on him in the ToP even more for me. It was like they went "Hey, look, we're really serious this time!... Psych! Can't believe you fell for it again! Now excuse me while I ram Freeza down your throat again."
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm

I prefer GT Buu.
He did more than his lazy Super's counterpart.

King13s

Post by King13s » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Buu in GT was handled by the than Uub even was. Uub was a more compelling and connected character. His affection for Hercule, his desire to be helpful. Mr Buu was great.

Buu in super is Toriyama being a dick to the fanbase. Raised expectations, just to fuck you over with a shitty gag.